Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #1

Trans com failure?

On a recent trip I got this message "TRANS COM FAILURE". Turned off the ignition tried again and it started. Stopped couple of times on the way home and no problems. Today tried to start it and got same message. After 3-4 tries it started. Turned it off and started it 4 mores times with no problems. We spent 10 days in Port Aransis and I'm concerned that I could have a salt corrosion issue. Chassis battery is at 12.6V. We also drove in some heavy rain. Did a Google search and found some references to a connector by the transmission that might need to be cleaned. We have a Tiffin 2014 Allegro RED 33AA with the 2500 Allison transmission. Any suggestions where to look for this connector or other thoughts to what might be the problem?
Thanks.
Robert
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJEV View Post
On a recent trip I got this message "TRANS COM FAILURE". Turned off the ignition tried again and it started. Stopped couple of times on the way home and no problems. Today tried to start it and got same message. After 3-4 tries it started. Turned it off and started it 4 mores times with no problems. We spent 10 days in Port Aransis and I'm concerned that I could have a salt corrosion issue. Chassis battery is at 12.6V. We also drove in some heavy rain. Did a Google search and found some references to a connector by the transmission that might need to be cleaned. We have a Tiffin 2014 Allegro RED 33AA with the 2500 Allison transmission. Any suggestions where to look for this connector or other thoughts to what might be the problem?
Thanks.
Robert
I have been seeing this issue on and off now for over 2 years with no viable solution from anyone including Freightliner. The fact you cannot reproduce it makes it near impossible for them to find it. Frankly I would have hoped with all the posts i've seen about this there was a smoking gun. It's prevented me from renting my unit with a lot of interest b/c I am not confident it will not happen to a renter.

I'd love to find a solution to this on my 2016 Tiffin...I've had a suspicion it could be the shoddy bundle of wires at the ignition where there may be a short but again, no smoking gun, it happens when it feels like it with no rhyme or reason
ccolotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #3

trans com failure

Because there could be a few things that are causing the intermittent issue, here is a thought. each of the items that you believe might be the cause should have a detector attached to it.
an idiot proof way would be a counter that records each time that circuit is activated.
As long as the fault does not show up, all counters will show the same number. but if one of the items fails, the item it powers will have a lower number than every item before it in the circuit.
it might be possible to use an hour meter instead, or even LEDs if it is you alone starting it each time and are able to remember the exact LEDs that did and did not light.
01MONACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:15 PM   #4

Is this an issue with the Arens shifter on the 2100/2500 series Allison ?
Maybe this link can provide info.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/2100...on-490151.html