Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to AEmedic
Trans Temp?

I have a 3200 TRV in my 08 Sterling.

I'm looking for the best place to mount a temp sender since the trans does not send out temp data from the ECM/TCM.

What do the experts recommend?

TIA!
AEmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #2

If you mount the sensor in the cooler out line close to the trans; that's where it was in my Dodge. You get a higher temp reading , and allowable max momentary temp, according to the Allison trans web site. Fluid at that point is direct out of the torque convertor so is running 50 degrees hotter than a sump sensor would.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If you mount the sensor in the cooler out line close to the trans; that's where it was in my Dodge. You get a higher temp reading , and allowable max momentary temp, according to the Allison trans web site. Fluid at that point is direct out of the torque convertor so is running 50 degrees hotter than a sump sensor would.
I'm no expert but I think you meant to say cooler in
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Guess I sould have said more, I meant the trans cooler line where it exits the trans , out to the cooler, not the return line from the cooler.
As you say the line into the cooler.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post

cooler out would be more accurate. If you monitor the fluid after the cooler, you are just measuring the temp of the fluid after it has been cooled. I prefer a temp sensor in the sump but a sensor on the cooler outlet would be good also.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
cooler out would be more accurate. If you monitor the fluid after the cooler, you are just measuring the temp of the fluid after it has been cooled. I prefer a temp sensor in the sump but a sensor on the cooler outlet would be good also.

It's all about semantics, ain't it?
Old 05-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX

It's all about semantics, ain't it?
Geography me thinks.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Geography me thinks.
It's either that or something else.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX

It's either that or something else.
And definitely math - start out wanting to +1 and end up with idea for +2.

I learn something here every day. Today I learned that while my Freightliner Onboard Computer displays my 3000 trans temp - I believe around 170 degrees underway (don't hold me to it) - I don't know where it's measured. My manuals always seem to be where I am not. Sump me thinks. It would be interesting to see temps on both sides. Then you could be first on block to say - my cooler lowers temp by xx degrees - or x%. More math, semantics and geography that I swore I'd never need in real life.

All that said - wherever it gets the hottest and knowing the boiling point +/- safe zone would seem logical. Now work some Latin in and we will have about covered the bases. Sorry for interruption.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:02 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEmedic View Post
I have a 3200 TRV in my 08 Sterling.

I'm looking for the best place to mount a temp sender since the trans does not send out temp data from the ECM/TCM.

What do the experts recommend?

TIA!
"T" it into the line leaving the tranny going to the cooler. The "T" in should be right at the tranny.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 AM   #11

Before I got my ScanGauge to read transmission temperature I installed a Sensor Adapter and gauge from Diesel Manor. It reads very accurate compared to the OEM sensor. Not sure if it will fit your 3200 trans cooler lines. But worth a look.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to AEmedic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Before I got my ScanGauge to read transmission temperature I installed a Sensor Adapter and gauge from Diesel Manor. It reads very accurate compared to the OEM sensor. Not sure if it will fit your 3200 trans cooler lines. But worth a look.
If your ScanGauge pulled the trans temp then my Bully Dog HD Watch Dog should pull the temp as well. my understanding was that the temp wasn't an option other than to add an aftermarket sender. I wonder which is true...
AEmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #13

Maybe not. Trans temperature for the GM Medium Duty Trucks comes from a sensor at the trans cooler. Does not come from the transmission.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a long time RV'er and have had many drag race cars (currently I have one now) the easiest is to install the sender in the front of the pan, center and as low as you can which will be pretty close to the return cooler line fitting. I dumped my std. Allison steel pan for a PAT thick walled, finned alumn. pan. It added 3 qts., it lowered the filter to the bottom of the pan away from the heat of the internal parts, and the pan stiffened the case from flexing. I pull a 24' Pace race car trailer which weights 9,600 # loaded and my coach is 21,500 #, total gross of 31,100 # @ 65 mph and my trans temp. stay at 100* on level roads and up steep mountains it gets to 190* to 230* and only one time on a 7% grade, 11 mile run up a mountain did it go to 260* for a minute and then I pulled over right away at a rest stop to let it cool down. I use Allison Transynd fluid.
2004 NRV Dolphin 5355, 24' Pace Shadow trailer, inside is a "2011 Hemmings Muscle Machine of the Year" and 2011 Reno, NV. Hot August Nights "Best Restored Stock Car", 1970 Olds F85 W-31, Rally Red, 4 speed, 1 of 5 in this color, only 207 built
davebw31 is offline   Reply With Quote