Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #15

Ordered up my Advanced Oil Analysis 3 pack from JG lubricants. Pretty excited to see how things look inside the oil girl.......
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #16

Sorry but you guessed wrong. The J72 AAPB is required because the Allison doesn't have a Parking Pawl. And yes, you are right to learn as much as you can about the J72 because it can cost big bucks to fix IF it malfunctions. It IS a drive line brake, similar to the original J71 AAPB, but more robust and less trouble prone.
The Allison part # for the spin-on filter is 29539579 and it is cheaper at an Allison distributor than at the local GM dealership.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post

My questions.

1. Is my transmission a MH2100 or a MH2350 or something entirely different.

2. Did my transmission already come with Transynd fluid or some other non-syn fluid?

I want to plan for the worst and do the filter and double fluid flush as soon as possible but if the transmission came with Transynd then i may get away with a filter change depending on what the oil analysis says.

If i cant find any evidence of an initial filter change will i be better off doing the double flush and filter just for the added protection of super clean fluid in the transmission?

Thanks everyone.
I'm not sure whether your had TransSyn when built - my '03 Allison 1000 did not. I switched to Syn but instead of doing the double flush (expensive) I just did the refill & filter change.
Allison just recommends sticking to the normal change interval w/ simple refill vs the flush
TranSyn is compatible so no problem w/ not fully flushing...might be a way to save some $ in the short term.

'03 still going strong and not one issue w/ the Allison 1000
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:17 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Ordered up my Advanced Oil Analysis 3 pack from JG lubricants. Pretty excited to see how things look inside the oil girl.......
I would not bother wasting the money for analysis for the gen set oil, it will cost more to test it, then replace it. Just do an oil/filter change and drive on
Old 04-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
I would not bother wasting the money for analysis for the gen set oil, it will cost more to test it, then replace it. Just do an oil/filter change and drive on
Oh for sure you're right about that but I figured the UOA would give me some insight into the internal condition of the components. The gen oil is fairly fresh so it doesn't really need to be changed. Engine oil is fairly fresh too. Transmission has just under 30,000 on it so I am not terribly worried about it's condition.

Maybe I'm reading more into the UOA than I should. I was hoping to get an idea what the condition inside of these 3 major items are. Reality is I just bought the coach and plan to keep it for a while. I may not want to know what the internal condition of the motor, trans and generator are. Hahaha
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Oh for sure you're right about that but I figured the UOA would give me some insight into the internal condition of the components. The gen oil is fairly fresh so it doesn't really need to be changed. Engine oil is fairly fresh too. Transmission has just under 30,000 on it so I am not terribly worried about it's condition.

Maybe I'm reading more into the UOA than I should. I was hoping to get an idea what the condition inside of these 3 major items are. Reality is I just bought the coach and plan to keep it for a while. I may not want to know what the internal condition of the motor, trans and generator are. Hahaha
My understanding - and may be wrong as I've done only a few analysis...
Fresh oil won't tell you much about engine / component condition - it's after it's run for some time that oil builds up "contaminants" that they measure and if abnormal, with the right knowledge can deduce where they are likely coming from. Fresh oil = fresh oil

Lots of info on the net about oil analysis - you might want to do some research before jumping in...how do I know - I did it wrong the first time - in a hurry and buying a used diesel boat - read up after the fact and found I pretty much did it wrong!
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, transmission