RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-09-2019, 05:12 AM   #1
Member
 
Racehlr's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
Transmission J1939 Com Fault?

Hello all,

We have a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton 42 QRH 360 cummings on a spartan chassis. The other day when I shut off the MH a few minutes later I heard a alarm coming from the dash area with the following faults showing. "Transmission J1939 Communications fault" / "ABS Fault" / "No J1939 Data Bus communication". I started the MH up and all seem to clear and everything seemed fine. Went back over the next day and alarm was going off again. Not sure where to start or should I just take it to a dealer. MH seems to run fine going down the road with no issues. Just acts up once it is shut off. Thanks for any advice on this.
__________________

__________________
Jim & Liana Poodiack
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 42QRH
Racehlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
CountryB's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 4,271
Get the actual code (use the keypad and count flashes). Need to know what code you have to help with diagnostics.

For example, if code 66-00 then you would follow these steps:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Code 66-00.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	263235  
__________________

__________________
Mike ----- 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder CAT C13 525HP, 42-ft Tag, with HydraLift
**Beaver History/Info/Chassis/Suspsn https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtvAXw_lfqbToxXYREK9YdBP08Jn
**Bvr/Mnco Wiring Diagrams (84-09):https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtvAXw_lfqbTm0WTuuNqpn9a8hCh
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 499
What exactly is displaying the faults? Is this an OEM supplied monitoring system or is one of the controllers in the vehicle displaying the fault (i.e. trans TCM, engine ECM)?



That type of situation usually occurs when there is a power down timing issue. The ignition is shut off and the controllers power down at different times. One is left on when the others are shut off and it's expecting J1939 communication traffic and it's not there. Has there been any electrical equipment changed or repaired in the coach recently?
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:32 AM   #4
Member
 
Racehlr's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
dbarton291 a few years back the fuse panel on the driver side compartment had some water damage that was taking care of by a dealer. I have had an issue still in there with a fuse now and then being corroded and have had to clean the terminals in the fuse panel. Here is a picture of the display on the dash that shows the error once the MH has been shut off for awhile. Also the ignition unit was loose last year but I was able to tighten in back into the dash and seems to be fine. Someone else said to check all the connectors under the coach. Thanks for any help you can provide on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2923 (002).jpg
Views:	6
Size:	541.5 KB
ID:	263780  
__________________
Jim & Liana Poodiack
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 42QRH
Racehlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 499
You need to separate transmission fault codes from the system that is displaying this message. There is no transmission fault code that has that description. I've looked through all the fourth gen codes for the on highway transmissions and don't see it.
The first step is to determine if the transmission is storing a diagnostic code and what is that code?
If you have a 3/4000 series transmission you can read the codes with the shift selector. If you have a 1/2000 you need a diagnostic reader to retrieve them. Allison uses a program called Allison DOC to read the codes.
If the transmission has a code, fix that issue first.
If the transmission does not show any trouble codes, the issue is somewhere else.
I assume this display you show in the picture is an add on item that is displaying messages from the J1939 datalink. The source of the error message is one of the controllers on that link i.e. transmission, engine, ABS, body controller, etc.
Anyway, determine if there are any transmission diagnostic codes. I may be able to help from there.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
Member
 
Racehlr's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton291 View Post
I assume this display you show in the picture is an add on item that is displaying messages from the J1939 datalink. The source of the error message is one of the controllers on that link i.e. transmission, engine, ABS, body controller, etc.
Anyway, determine if there are any transmission diagnostic codes. I may be able to help from there.
dbarton291 no this is the oem dash display which shows miles, mpg, etc. I will have to look up which transmission I have and check that first with a reader. It also displays these other faults too. "ABS Fault" & "No J1939 Data Bus Communication". Thanks for all your input so far on this.
__________________
Jim & Liana Poodiack
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 42QRH
Racehlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
Member
 
Racehlr's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
Here is a better picture of the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-10-16-11h02m10s774.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	263801  
__________________
Jim & Liana Poodiack
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 42QRH
Racehlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #8
Member
 
Racehlr's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton291 View Post
You need to separate transmission fault codes from the system that is displaying this message. There is no transmission fault code that has that description. I've looked through all the fourth gen codes for the on highway transmissions and don't see it.
The first step is to determine if the transmission is storing a diagnostic code and what is that code?
If you have a 3/4000 series transmission you can read the codes with the shift selector. If you have a 1/2000 you need a diagnostic reader to retrieve them. Allison uses a program called Allison DOC to read the codes.
If the transmission has a code, fix that issue first.
If the transmission does not show any trouble codes, the issue is somewhere else.
I assume this display you show in the picture is an add on item that is displaying messages from the J1939 datalink. The source of the error message is one of the controllers on that link i.e. transmission, engine, ABS, body controller, etc.
Anyway, determine if there are any transmission diagnostic codes. I may be able to help from there.
I was able to check to see if I had any codes per your instructions and it came up with D1-- so it must be something else causing the issue. Any idea where to start? Thanks.
__________________
Jim & Liana Poodiack
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 42QRH
Racehlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:10 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehlr View Post
I was able to check to see if I had any codes per your instructions and it came up with D1-- so it must be something else causing the issue. Any idea where to start? Thanks.
As Clint Eastwood said one time "A man has to know his limitations".
Since this isn't an Allison issue, or doesn't appear to be, there are probably better folks than me to tackle this one.
However, if it were my vehicle, I'd get the documentation for this display that is showing the error and see what it is looking at as well as how it's wired in the vehicle. Then see if perhaps one of the controllers could be powering down out of sync with the others. But again, this isn't my area of expertise.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #10
Member
 
Racehlr's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
dbarton291 thanks for all the info. I think that is what I will do next. Thanks again.
__________________

__________________
Jim & Liana Poodiack
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 42QRH
Racehlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
transmission



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission J1939 Com Fault Racehlr Tiffin Owner's Forum 2 10-08-2019 01:33 PM
Transmission comunication Fault J1939 ZH150399 Travel Supreme Owner's Forum 1 08-26-2019 07:01 PM
Onboard ground fault conflicts with campground ground fault skatebus80 Country Coach Owners Forum 3 07-15-2017 12:42 PM
J1939 Communication Fault TGA Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum 3 08-18-2010 07:44 PM
Check Engine J1939 fault plootsa Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum 1 03-16-2010 07:22 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×