RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #1

Transmission not shifting to 6th

I have a 2007 Fleetwood Discovery with a CAT C7 engine, Allison 3000 transmission, and Freightliner XC-S chassis.

Today I had some problems, and I don't know if they are engine, transmission, or chassis, so I thought I would start here...

My first problem was that the transmission would not go into 6th gear, and I could not force it there manually. I was on a divided highway going about 55 MPH. I have always been in 6th gear at that speed on level road.

And during that time I had my headlights on, but the Select and Monitor LED's on the shift pad stayed bright and did not dim.

I stopped and shut everything down, waited a few moments, and then started up again. This time all worked fine (6th gear and dimmed LED's).

I then stopped for fuel, and when I again started out I could go to 6th gear, but the LED's would not dim.

Any ideas what is going on?

ccsmith51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
my coach will not shift to 6th until I hit 62 mph. are you sure you were not in 5th?

Old 09-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On mine the throttle position cable had come off the shaft, but was not intermittent. If I accelerated to 65-70 it would up shift to 6th, but would down **** again around 60! Just a thought.
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:10 AM   #4

my Allison transmission will not go to 6th gear until 65 mph. It will lug your engine going slower.
Jerry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry226 View Post
my Allison transmission will not go to 6th gear until 65 mph. It will lug your engine going slower.

Thatís odd. Our coach, with the Cummins ISL 400 and the Allison 3000 shifts to 6th as low as 53 mph with a light foot on the throttle. I love being able to cruise at 55 mph at about 1,300 rpm.
A Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:01 AM   #6

You really can't compare different motorhomes and expect the transmission to shift into top gear at the same road speed for all of them. The speed at which you attain top gear is dependent on engine rated RPM, transmission calibration, axle ratio, tire size, vehicle weight, etc.

dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission