Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPOHOLIC View Post
I have a scan gauge d on my 1999 freightliner fl-60 with a 7.2 cat motor and a md3060 allison transmission, my truck weights about 13,000, the transmission has about 200 miles on it from the rebuild, my dash trans gauge reads about 190-200 deg F while bob tailing, the scan gauge reads 120 degs F while bob tailing, the engine temp is about 190 deg F, now with all that info should I be concerned about the 80 or so degs difference ?
80* temp difference seems a bit much to me but my experience is with my Cummins ISL and MH3000 tranny.

FWIW, My Scan D seems to be pretty close to the analog gauge both for water and tranny fluid. Pretty much I see 200*-202* water temp when charging hard and 202*-204* (+2* from water temp normally) for tranny fluid. Even on cool/cold days my water these temps are pretty normal but both will drop quicker on downhills and long deceleration times.

I don't see any issues with those temps and my tranny fluid analysis has come back just fine for the last 2 years.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #16

I am with sky boss, something is amiss with your temps. Mine match his exactly, and my Allison once warm sticks to 202 no matter the load.

Perhaps a sending unit? My fear with such a low reading is that it may have your tranny running in a "cold mode" if that exists. My guess is that the actual temperature is closer to 200.

Worth investigating.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #17

temp

well mine has reached 240F
after climbing mont blanc in europe

Cees
cees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #18

I would suspect the Scan Gauge to be too low on it's indication. You should have a thermostat in the system to help maintain a normal temperature range close to what your dash temp gauge is showing you. As I would expect a rise like what (CEES) described in a long climb, and that 240F should not go much higher as the heat exchanger (if you have that type of trans cooler) will take some of that heat and transfer it to the engine cooling system, you'll see the engine temp rise as well. All this is part of the normal operation, but still requires you monitor the temps and take corrective action in case of an over temp.. 240F for long periods of time is not good and should be avoided.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
2000 Freightliner Winnebago 36'. I do not get a trans temp readout, but everything else is there. I just assume it does not report trans temp on this unit.
johnzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elictrix View Post
Analogue transmission gauges are usually connected to the oil outlet pipe from the transmission to the oil cooler. This is called converter out.

Digital displays read the transmission sump temperature broadcast by the ECU.

Converter out temperature will be higher than the sump temperature if the oil cooler is doing its job.
Analogue gauges are indicators and may not be too accurate. They give an indication of what the temperature is.

With all gauges and displays you need to learn what they normally read, and be able to spot when one is reading differently from normal.
This info is dead on accurate. Do you work for or have worked for an Allison dealer or distributor? The terms you use indicate you have an in depth knowledge of Allison transmissions.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:47 PM   #21

Lets just say that I have quite a few Allison training certificates.
Elictrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elictrix View Post
Lets just say that I have quite a few Allison training certificates.
That works for me!
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission