Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #1

Transmission temps on ScanGauge D

Needing to hear from ScanGauge users on similar engine and tranny models if transmission temps will appear on ScanGauge D if coach has a J1708 six pin connector?
Tranny temp on analog gauge is reading 210F after 40 minute run. And has been that way since we bought coach in 2012. Want to get digital temp before doing anything more for cooling.
I understand differences between Silverleaf vs ScanGauge. Just needing quick & inexpensive diagnosis.
Thanks in advance.
Mike
'06 Inspire 360 #51534
Cat C-9
Allison 3000MH
Attached Thumbnails

'06, 36' CC Inspire 360 #51534
Cat C9
'11 Wrangler Unlimited
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	57841  
Cat C9
'11 Wrangler Unlimited
Lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Yes it will read that information, no matter what plug you use only 4 lines are
used for communications.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
FYI I don't think the TFT readout on my scangaugeD has ever hit 200 and I do tow in hot weather. Don't know that four sure but seems like most often 140 to 160.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
FYI I don't think the TFT readout on my scangaugeD has ever hit 200 and I do tow in hot weather. Don't know that four sure but seems like most often 140 to 160.
Same for me I have a hard time getting to 140 unless pulling a steep hill
something is not right with OP's temps that high.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #5

My Scangauge D trans temperature gauge typically runs around 160-180 degrees. When pulling steep hils the temp will rise if the engine temp rises. The highest I have seen it read was 190 when the engine temp got to 210 degrees.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Allison Transmission Temperatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer View Post
Needing to hear from ScanGauge users on similar engine and tranny models if transmission temps will appear on ScanGauge D if coach has a J1708 six pin connector?
I understand differences between Silverleaf vs ScanGauge.

'06 Inspire 360 #51534
Cat C-9
Allison 3000MH

Mike,

It would be surprising to learn that the Scangauge D and Silverleaf presented different transmission temperatures. My Silverleaf and the factory installed TripTek show exactly the same numbers for all of their common read-outs. Analog gauge is another matter. It has a very coarse scale and and a limited range of movement. The actual temperature it is presenting is difficult to determine.

While our engines are different our transmissions are the same. My engine is 370 hp and the coach has a GVWR of 37,600 and am towing a 4,400 pound Cherokee. As a datapoint for reference, my engine temps generally run 175 to 180 and will approach 190 on a long pull.

The transmission generally runs about 5 degrees cooler or 170 to 175. One notable exception - when on an extended DOWNgrade, say 6% for more than a mile with the exhaust brake enabled, the transmission will get into the low 190's. Transmission temperature will also trend up if maneuvering at very low speed as when parking in a camp site but I've never seem more than 180 degrees in that situation.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:17 AM   #7

Allison tranny temps

Thank you for the replies. All valuable information.
I'm afraid my original post was not very clear. I really had several questions and I kind of jumbled them together. Here's a cleaner list:
1. Is 210F tranny temp reading on the FACTORY gauge unusual for folks with same coach and powertrain as I have?
2. For folks that have a ScanGauge on the same coach and powertrain I have, does ScanGauge D pick up and display transmission temperature given the J1708 plug that it will be connected to under the dashboard?
3. for those of you that have a ScanGauge D: does the tranny temp on ScanGaugeD show a different tranny temp than your factory analog gauge?

Thanks,
Mike
2006 Country Coach Inspire
Cat C-9 engine with Allison 3000MH transmission
'11 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Cat C9
'11 Wrangler Unlimited
Old 03-15-2014, 07:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer View Post
Thank you for the replies. All valuable information. I'm afraid my original post was not very clear. I really had several questions and I kind of jumbled them together. Here's a cleaner list: 1. Is 210F tranny temp reading on the FACTORY gauge unusual for folks with same coach and powertrain as I have? 2. For folks that have a ScanGauge on the same coach and powertrain I have, does ScanGauge D pick up and display transmission temperature given the J1708 plug that it will be connected to under the dashboard? 3. for those of you that have a ScanGauge D: does the tranny temp on ScanGaugeD show a different tranny temp than your factory analog gauge? Thanks, Mike 2006 Country Coach Inspire Cat C-9 engine with Allison 3000MH transmission '11 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
The ScanGauge and Silverleaf will show the same values as they get their data from the engine ECM. I heard a very knowledgeable Cummins field engineer say the factory analog dash gauges were good for one thing. If they moved the engine was running.

Go ahead and buy a Silverleaf product. Use it every time you drive. It will give you a valuable education about you engine/transmission operation and make you a better driver.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #9

Tranny temps and scangauge d

I've done a lot of research on the Silverleaf and it sounds like a great and robust pruduct. Only downside for me - unless I missed it- is that it doesn't "play" on an iPad, correct? Does it play on other tablets?
Mike
Cat C9
'11 Wrangler Unlimited
Old 03-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #10

Tranny temp on scan gauge d

Just to close the loop on this subject: I installed a ScanGauge D today and took the coach for a drive. The tranny temp on the factory installed analog dash gauge was reading 10-15 degrees warmer than the after-market scan gauge d. These results leave me with less concern for the tranny temp. Thanks to all for your input.
Mike
Cat C9
'11 Wrangler Unlimited
Old 05-04-2014, 02:43 AM   #11

Analogue transmission gauges are usually connected to the oil outlet pipe from the transmission to the oil cooler. This is called converter out.

Digital displays read the transmission sump temperature broadcast by the ECU.

Converter out temperature will be higher than the sump temperature if the oil cooler is doing its job.
Analogue gauges are indicators and may not be too accurate. They give an indication of what the temperature is.

With all gauges and displays you need to learn what they normally read, and be able to spot when one is reading differently from normal.
Elictrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elictrix View Post
Analogue transmission gauges are usually connected to the oil outlet pipe from the transmission to the oil cooler. This is called converter out.

Digital displays read the transmission sump temperature broadcast by the ECU.

Converter out temperature will be higher than the sump temperature if the oil cooler is doing its job.
Analogue gauges are indicators and may not be too accurate. They give an indication of what the temperature is.

With all gauges and displays you need to learn what they normally read, and be able to spot when one is reading differently from normal.
Elictric; Welcome to irv2, great description, of gauge operation . Are you traveling in; or thinking of traveling to; the northern hemisphere?
Old 07-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 2001 Endeavor. I installed a Scangauge D. So far, the only data that I am getting is the output voltage of the alternator, no temps for engine or trans. I have not yet set up fuel use and trending.
ajyoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
I have a scan gauge d on my 1999 freightliner fl-60 with a 7.2 cat motor and a md3060 allison transmission, my truck weights about 13,000, the transmission has about 200 miles on it from the rebuild, my dash trans gauge reads about 190-200 deg F while bob tailing, the scan gauge reads 120 degs F while bob tailing, the engine temp is about 190 deg F, now with all that info should I be concerned about the 80 or so degs difference ?
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission