Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2010, 06:04 AM   #15

Grand Design Owners Club
I do have TranSynd. I found the label and it looks like I'll be due for a fluid change this fall when I return. The local truck dealer/Allison service center wants $34 a gallon, $90 for a filter, and $282 in labor to do a fluid change. Does that sound high or about right for this service??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2010, 07:20 AM   #16

The labor charge seems to be high. I changed the filters and fluid in my MH3000 Allison last week and it took about one hour. I ordered the fluid online and paid $32 a gallon for five gallons plus $20 shipping, so it worked out to $36 a gallon with no saales tax. I got the high capacity filter kit for $44 at a large RV show. On the last day a Cummins dealer was packing up everything that didn't sell and they had one filter kit left. They sold it to me for $44 which they said was their cost.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsrule View Post
I do have TranSynd. I found the label and it looks like I'll be due for a fluid change this fall when I return. The local truck dealer/Allison service center wants $34 a gallon, $90 for a filter, and $282 in labor to do a fluid change. Does that sound high or about right for this service??
The labor ? yes that is high, all they are going to do the oil change is pull the drain plug and remove 12 ea 12 to 14mm bolts (cant remember the size) off of two caps and install two #29548988 high capacity filter if you have the 4 inch filter (all Monacoe coaches that I have seen uses this filter with the Allison 3000 trans or the 3060) and retorque the bolts ( instructions are in the filters) and the price is $59. ship to you from Truckers supply at 972-438-1406 and might find it cheaper but be careful make sure it the new High Cap filter.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
I just changed mine out yesterday, it was messy but pretty easy...and you'll need a tourqe wrench, be carefull to completly clean "ALL" the little bits of the old gasket off of the filter housing or you could damage it when you tourqe the bolts on...I used a razor blade... you want the surface completley flat.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #19

Where to buy trandsynd

Grandpa larry, Can you tell me where you bought the Transynd ATF. Wireman
Wireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wireman,

I went to eBay and entered "TranSynd" and found an individual who had it. I just did a search and there is none listed on eBay. Check eBay periodically as this guy seems to sell it when he can get it - he's evidently not a distributor.
GrandpaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wireman,
Go to the Newmar site and click on Part 1 & 2 "Quick Tips" & "Easy Mods". When there look down to "Dales Web Site Oemys". Click on that and go to Product catalog. Ther you find #8 Allison Filter/Magnet/Fluid. You'll find that he has Transyd available for sale. Hope this helps. Steve
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:49 PM   #22

If you have an Allison 1000MH that was orignally delivered with Dex III is it OK to change over to TranSynd. My Workhorse chassis manual says Dex III before April 6, 2005 and TranSynd after that date. I have a 2005 National Dolphin but don't know if the Workhorse chassis was before or after April 6. I got the transmission serial number and went to the Allison web site but they had no info on it. Reading previous posts it seems people have put TranSynd it much older vehicles than mine so I assume it is OK. Just want to be sure.

Jim
AvoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:09 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvoJim View Post
If you have an Allison 1000MH that was orignally delivered with Dex III is it OK to change over to TranSynd. My Workhorse chassis manual says Dex III before April 6, 2005 and TranSynd after that date. I have a 2005 National Dolphin but don't know if the Workhorse chassis was before or after April 6. I got the transmission serial number and went to the Allison web site but they had no info on it. Reading previous posts it seems people have put TranSynd it much older vehicles than mine so I assume it is OK. Just want to be sure.

Jim
I ran Mobil 1 Synthetic for 2 years and switched to TranSynd this spring... no problems.

If you plan to switch it will take at least 3 gals. I used 13 qts. Buy it in the gal containers. I get mine from a Ford dealer... Yep, FORD! They use Allison's in the big HD trucks. The Allison site as a list of approved vendors for the TranSynd fluid.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:35 PM   #24

Can anyone who lives in So. Cal. near Riverside give me a dealer where they have bought Transynd at a decent and fair price. Prices seem to be all over the board depending how deep they want to get into your pockets. Wireman
Wireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:55 PM   #25

I bought from Dion International Trucks in San Marcos. It was $40 per gallon. I found it cheaper on line but with the shipping it was just about a wash.
AvoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you try Redlands truck and RV.

Mike
Old 08-13-2010, 05:51 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
It's your call but I think if I had a 12 year old motorhome that was working good on dino type fluid I would be hesitant to switch over to a synthetic. Your seals may or may not be compatible. The extra detergent action might not be good, etc. etc. If it was mine I would probably stick with the recommended maintenance and fluids for when it was built. Just my humble opinion.
I went to the Allision website and looked up the serial number of the transmission to verify that Transynd was proper.

From what I read the only issue was if a person was changing between the various types of Dexron. It appears that different Dexron numbers are NOT compatible and that the new types could eat up the seals on older units.

The Transynd was given a thumbs up for most but I'd double check your model/serial number first.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:04 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
If you change from Dyno to Transynd all you can drain is about 19 qts and that leaves 9 qts in the lines and torque converter on a 3060, you could pull your return line from the radiator to the trans have someone start the engine for a second and stop it until you flush out the old fluid, you wont get 100% but you will be close to all of the DexronIII. That is what I did when I changed over.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote