Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Transynd ATF - Allison vs Castrol

Both Allison and Castrol sell Transynd ATF. My Allison 1000 has Allison in it. When I replaced the tranny cooler assy, i had to drain a couple of litres from the tranny. Can I use the Castrol product to top up the Tranny? (Allison product is not readily available in my area)

Thanks,

Preston

All of the best and safe driving,
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsmith View Post
Both Allison and Castrol sell Transynd ATF. My Allison 1000 has Allison in it. When I replaced the tranny cooler assy, i had to drain a couple of litres from the tranny. Can I use the Castrol product to top up the Tranny? (Allison product is not readily available in my area)

Thanks,

Preston

Preston,

You can use any fluid that's listed on Allison's site as TES295 compliant.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #3

Quote:

Thanks,

Preston
Allison's TranSynd is a Castrol product. Allison does not make the fluid. As Steve said, ANY brand that complies with Allison's TES-295 standards is suitable. A friend of mine just paid $57.00 per gallon at an Allison distributor, so that stuff has really gone up a lot. Suggest you use whatever brand is cheaper-as long as it shows the TES-295 compliance on the label.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/form...eer-89293.html

Ask on this thread. Tom worked on the development of TranSynd.

I suspect that any TES 295 would be fine.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:33 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everyone for the info you have provided

My reading of the Allison engineer's thread and your comments suggests that if necessary I can use any TES 295 to top up my tranny. I am hoping the 2 plus litres I have in the Allison container will do the job

Thanks again

Preston

Old 09-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #6

Quote:

Thanks,

Preston
Did you change just the tranny cooler or did you change the a/c , engine cooler and tranny as an assy
Old 09-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 426smartin View Post
Did you change just the tranny cooler or did you change the a/c , engine cooler and tranny as an assy
I had a leaking engine oil cooler - one liter per 80 km. Regretfully one can only buy the complete assembly - C$2800 worth. I did the work myself. Every fitting involved was either rusted or suffering from galling - aluminium and steel tend to do that. It took a mix of heat, freezing, tapping, penetrating oil, and in desperation destructive removal. Many of the hoses are no longer available and the metric fittings were not available in my area.

Tomorrow I will take it for a 15 mile run so that I can check the tranny fluid level. Methinks I drained about 2 quarts from it (what was in the the tranny cooler). I have about 2 1/2 quarts in my allison tranny fluid container. Hopefully it is enough

Preston

Old 09-27-2015, 11:21 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Royal Purple trans fluid is the only one I know that matches TES295. Autozone carries it.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:31 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Royal Purple is not approved by Allison, here's the link that shows the actual approved ones.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:59 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Note the first one listed on the Royal Purple ATF bottle in the pic. It says "MAX-ATF is recommended as a direct replacement fluid for these applications:" The first one is Allison C-4, TES-295. Their website isn't up to date. Not cheap though. $15.00 a quart and if autozone doesn't have it O'Rellys carries it and so does NAPA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1443419684959.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	108166  
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
Note the first one listed on the Royal Purple ATF bottle in the pic. It says "MAX-ATF is recommended as a direct replacement fluid for these applications:" The first one is Allison C-4, TES-295. Their website isn't up to date. Not cheap though. $15.00 a quart and if autozone doesn't have it O'Rellys carries it and so does NAPA.

I agree with Mr D. This is the same verbiage used by Amsoil which is also not on Allison's approved list. This bottle also suggests it's a direct replacement for Dexron III which hasn't been licensed by GM for 7-8 years now. There is no one to approve it.

There are 9 approved products on this list. It's prudent to use one of them or change fluid on a 12 month schedule.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/p...highway-fluids

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
With all due respect, any manufacturer's claim of "recommended as a direct replacement" does not equal Allison certification. While I'm sure Royal Purple makes very high quality products, I'll stick with those that are Allison approved because they are TES-295 standard compliant.

What is the point of using a product that costs even more than what Allison distributors get for TranSynd ?
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #13

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Royal Purple is not approved.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #14

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Allison C-4 (TES-228) is obsolete.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison