Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #1

What do I do NOW?

I made an appointment with a local Freightliner dealership to get my transmission fluid changed, and if course to get new filters, and to get them to check my radiator, etc. I told them and they WROTE DOWN that I wanted
Transynd and the Gold Filters.

I waited in the motor home, reading a book, and when they finished, I came out to pay and I noticed that they had a box by the back of the MH that the transmission oil came in and it was a box of Pensoil non-synthetic transmission oil. I asked and they said that the dip stick on my motor home did not have transynd, and so they put what was stipulated on the dip stick. I stated that when I came in I specifically requested Transynd, they did not discuss the fact with me, and that is what they should have given me.

So they gave me a case of synthetic? Shell Spirax ATF fluid. Is this equal to ir greater than Transynd? Do I need to drain the non-synthetic, replace the filters & seals?

I don't want to start WWIII but I don't want to trash my transmission, either.

HELP?
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you requested Transynd and they wrote it down but installed some other fluid I would start WWIII

What was in your coach to begin with. If it was not Transynd there is a procedure to do the change. Takes several fluid changes.

Either way they need to the right thing and I wouldn't settle.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #3

Yes. When I got the coach, it had 18,000 miles on it. I switched to Transynd, and Gold filters, ran it for 5,000 miles, drained out the Transynd, changed the filters again, and then have left it, only checking the fluid levels, until I broke over 75,000.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:28 PM   #4

what do I do now

Make them change it. Had a similar thing happen to me. Had a pt cruiser and had the oil changed at a walmart in Ga when we were traveling . They put the wrong oil in my transmission to top it off. Caught the guy with the can in his hand. I told him it was the wrong fluid for my car. He said they put the same oil in all the automatic;s.
After I talked to the manager they ended up dropping the pan and changed the filter and put the correct fluid in.
A little hasel but it was done right. Thats what they need to do for you.
Busyguy
busyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:15 PM   #5

Allison told me on the phone that it was not necessary to flush any old oil or go through any additional changes of oil, just to refill it with Transynd. As for you dealer not complying with your request surely any decent shop would acknowledge their mistake and put the correct oil in it as you requested. If you want verification of the correct oil just call Allison Customer Service, I found them to be very helpful
Baz
Bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #6

Shell Spirax S6 ATF A295 is Allison TES 295 approved.
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:23 PM   #7

Transynd is available at Napa
Old 09-20-2017, 11:27 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Last I knew TranSynd was sold only through Allison dealers and not NAPA.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Last I knew TranSynd was sold only through Allison dealers and not NAPA.

I just purchased enough for a oil change through NAPA in Crescent City
Old 09-22-2017, 05:43 AM   #10

It's only necessary to go through the dual change procedure if you want 90%+ concentration of TranSynd in the transmission. Less than that doesn't qualify for the extended drain intervals that Allison publishes.
For owners that have vehicles with non TES-295 oil that purchase extended warranty, the dual changes are required as a condition of the Allison Extended Transmission Coverage.
Running a mix of TranSynd and mineral oil won't hurt anything, you just have to pay attention to the drain interval.
The Allison Technical Assistance Center number is 1-800-252-5283. The reference for Allison oil change intervals is service information letter is the latest revision of 10-TR-99. Allison's website also has a bunch of helpful info. Allison Transmission Home
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote