Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #1

when to change transmission fluid?

hi i am new to rv, and seriously in market for one... i was talking with an owner of a 98 country coach intrigue yesterday, who told me that he had never serviced transmission as he didn't believe it was required. the coach has 83k miles on it, shouldn't be fluid change overdue? he also said he changed oil every 6kmi (traditional oil) and changed the filter every 10kmi but no receipts. i was wondering how could he change oil filter without oil change? Could somebody shed some light? thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #2

Even when an Allison transmission is filled with Transynd, the advanced synthetic fluid which is now recommended (it didn't exist in 1998), the suggested interval for changing fluid and filters is 3-4 years since most RVers don't drive the necessary 100,000 miles between fluid changes. I do fluid sampling, which validates the fluid's condition, and gives me confidence with respect to changing it.

Your friend's attitude is not uncommon among owners of DPs. They assume that because these drivetrains are designed for hundreds of thousands of miles they don't require service. That is a fallacy which often results in very expensive repairs that could have been avoided.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier View Post
hi i am new to rv, and seriously in market for one... i was talking with an owner of a 98 country coach intrigue yesterday, who told me that he had never serviced transmission as he didn't believe it was required. the coach has 83k miles on it, shouldn't be fluid change overdue? he also said he changed oil every 6kmi (traditional oil) and changed the filter every 10kmi but no receipts. i was wondering how could he change oil filter without oil change? Could somebody shed some light? thanks.
You could change the oil filter and lose only what is in the filter then top off the oil to the full mark. But, I personally would question what maintenance has been done by the owner. Normally, you change the oil, filter and lube the chassis at the same time. How about the coolant? has it been changed? What is the coolant SCA level? Has the Air dryer and Air filter been changed or originals? Not sure what transmission and fluid is in there but, Allison required a 5000 mile filter change until the last few years, was this done? If you are thinking about buying this motorhome I would have a mechanic check out the engine and transmission. I would also do a fluid analysis on engine oil, transmission and coolant even if I had to pay for it. Good Luck
Old 03-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #4

This guy doesn't have a clue and I would be surprised if he has done much required maintenance. I agree completely with Buck62 about questioning previous maintenance practices.

1. In '98 Allison required fluid /filter replacement every 12 months.
2. SCA level in coolant should have been checked & adjusted at least annually.
3. Air dryer should have been serviced at least every 2-3 years.
4. Differential & front wheel bearings should have been serviced at least twice.
5. Oil/filter change annually is normal with motor homes. Not sure why he would have a split change schedule.

If you are considering this motor home, a complete service including all fluids and filters should be done. A oil analysis should be done on both engine and transmission. The coolant should be tested.

This coach could have some serious problems because of poor maintenance.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier View Post
i was wondering how could he change oil filter without oil change? Could somebody shed some light? thanks.
spin the old filter off, fill the new filter with oil, and spin the new filter on. He probably filled the new filter with the old oil from the old filter

What other things has he neglected?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #6

thank you all for your so valuable info. per my conversation with the seller, basically i was hearing that he didn't do anything in the entire duration of ownership other than oil/filter change. as we know just like any cars with diesel, mileage isn't a major issue but proper maintenance is. probably i will pass this...
Old 03-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow, 14 years with no coolant change or SCA checks? That engine will be junk soon with perforated liners. Yep, I'd pass too.

I change oil filters at every oil change even on my cars. Oil and filters are cheap, engines are not. And the lack of coolant change and SCA checks is a BIG red flag.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #8

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Wow, 14 years with no coolant change or SCA checks? That engine will be junk soon with perforated liners. Yep, I'd pass too.

I change oil filters at every oil change even on my cars. Oil and filters are cheap, engines are not. And the lack of coolant change and SCA checks is a BIG red flag.
during the conversation i asked whether he'd change tranny fluid for cars, he said no, his minivan has 200kmi+ (nissan quest) and he never bothered to change the fluid and it's still running no problem
Old 03-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #9

Part of the reason for changing filters and fluids are to maintain the vehicle in good operation condition. OK, his minivan has 200Kmi+ but I wouldn't want to take it on an extended trip - I'd be afraid the trans would fail in a remote area. I think of maintenance as kind of an insurance policy - you can get by without it but weigh the potential problems. Just my opinion.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I use blackstone Labs to test my oil. I drove only 500 miles in 3 years... I run my engine for 20 min every week... report said oil was fine... I have a sample cup here for the trans but have not filled it yet...
I got blackstone idea from a thread about allison trans...
good luck
jeff
TDiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #11

i took your advices and emailed him today that i'd pass his. i don't think it's worth of taking a chance as those are not small bets; it can be a real bite if power train is cooked on a trip. i will continue to search. thank you all for your info, really appreciate it.

Tags
fluid