Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
2008 GMC Durmax not starting?

2008 GMC Durmax not starting, did yesterday? It cranks and
turned over ran briefly and then died.
Help!
I'M not a happy camper/traveler.
Always seems like some thing else.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Just relized I did the last three post. I sure hope someones out there..
Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #3

The first thing to suspect would be a clogged fuel filter. If you recently bought fuel, it's possible you got some dirt or water contaminated diesel. I always carry an extra fuel filter and the tools needed to change it. I did it several times so I would know how to if I got stuck somewhere. I also carry a code reader but have never had to use it. If you know where your fuel filter is, there is a water trap on the bottom with a petcock, you could try draining some fuel into a clean glass and look for contaminants. You will have to purge the filter afterwards, there is a manual pump and bleeder fitting on top of the filter housing, you loosen the bleeder fitting and pump the purge pump until fuel comes out, then close the purge while holding the pump actuator down. It sounds complicated, but if you're in a CG maybe someone there knows how to do it.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
The first thing to suspect would be a clogged fuel filter. If you recently bought fuel, it's possible you got some dirt or water contaminated diesel. I always carry an extra fuel filter and the tools needed to change it. I did it several times so I would know how to if I got stuck somewhere. I also carry a code reader but have never had to use it. If you know where your fuel filter is, there is a water trap on the bottom with a petcock, you could try draining some fuel into a clean glass and look for contaminants. You will have to purge the filter afterwards, there is a manual pump and bleeder fitting on top of the filter housing, you loosen the bleeder fitting and pump the purge pump until fuel comes out, then close the purge while holding the pump actuator down. It sounds complicated, but if you're in a CG maybe someone there knows how to do it.
I'll go look haven't seen a prime button on top. Have to look into code reader, whats that? Where my filter is is hard to get at.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #5

The fuel filter is under the hood on the passenger side, kinda below the battery. There is a large "button" about 1 1/2" diameter and there is also a plug type fitting next to it to purge air. On the bottom of the filter, under the truck, is a petcock to drain water. Usual process is to drain the petcock, reclose it and then under the hood open the bleeder screw a couple of turns, pump the primer and when diesel fuel starts coming out of the bleeder, hold the button down and close the bleeder screw. Sometimes a really badly contaminated fuel can plug the filter, then you need to replace it. I always keep my receipt when I fill up while traveling so I can have some recourse if I get some bad fuel. Never happened to me, but others. A code reader will readout any trouble codes from the truck's computer, simply plugs into the under dash OBD port, costs about ~$100 or so...
Old 09-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I figured out the button never thoguh that would be it,when I pumped it
air bubble came out around top of fuel filter.
So I guess I need to get new fuel filter.
Guess time to try hitchhiking lol
Old 09-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #7

somehow you got air in your fuel system. I would make sure the fuel filter is tight and the water drain is also. Then purge the system until only fuel is coming out of the purge fitting, then clean up spilt fuel and try to start your truck. Any air in the fuel system and your truck will not start.
gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
My 06 Duramax same deal had to replace the filter housing it lets air back in the system and no start till you prime it. Housing and a filter was about 125.00. on amazon. There is a pipe that is press fit into the top of the housing that leaks.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #9

What did you find out? Leaking fuel filter? Clogged fuel filter? Something else? Would like to know. One thing I forgot to mention, if you call for roadside service, never let them use starting fluid on a modern diesel, it can result in permanent, sometimes catastrophic damage.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well here I go, my fault! First time I changed a fuel filter so... When I put on the fuel filter, right behind it is the "fuel injector return hose". There's a injector with a plastic part that looks like a T(looks like a vacuum line part to me), one going into the injector, 2 others going in opposite directions to other cylinders. On one side of the T I bumped it and broke it! So when I turned motor over it squirt out.
I took the fuel filter housing off and held it while my dad turned truck on so I could see where it was leaking. So little hose lot of fuel..
So now I went into Kilgore TX looking for plastic “T”, ABC auto parts. They didn't have it or new much about it. The guy searched and showed on line there was a kit for under$20. For one side of motor! He told me someone in Longview so while leaving I decided to stop at Chevy dealership to check on it.. Yeah they had one for 160 bucks. So leaving there went to ABC again I got the site ordered the kit for $20. Now If it ever happens again I have 3 back ups and extra hose..
I really learned a lot with this project..

My new name is Super Mechanic...lol
Old 09-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Forgot to say:
When I mentioned about bubbles around the top of filter, I took the old filter off and there wasn't a O ring! I had someone else do it for me. I watched them looking like they where having a hard time putting it on! But to forget the O ring. I'll be doing it myself from now on.
I'M going to call them to me they owe me something. So I guess it actually back off after around 5000 miles of driving.

Truck is running now just waiting to get the part Tuesday.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #12

Glad you got it all figured out! It's amazing how many problems are caused by taking your truck to a "mechanic". I have heard many horror stories about inept repairs made to vehicles made by garages, even GM dealers. That's why I try to do as much of my own maintenance as possible and if something isn't done right I know exactly who to blame. So far, I have done no harm in 4 years and over 22,000 miles of towing. I figure the more I know about my truck, the less I will be at the mercy of the road monkeys.... BTW, I made a removable door on the inner fender liner on my truck to make it easier to change the filter, you probably noticed it is a PAIN to access it. I think someone sells them on ebay.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
Glad you got it all figured out! It's amazing how many problems are caused by taking your truck to a "mechanic". I have heard many horror stories about inept repairs made to vehicles made by garages, even GM dealers. That's why I try to do as much of my own maintenance as possible and if something isn't done right I know exactly who to blame. So far, I have done no harm in 4 years and over 22,000 miles of towing. I figure the more I know about my truck, the less I will be at the mercy of the road monkeys.... BTW, I made a removable door on the inner fender liner on my truck to make it easier to change the filter, you probably noticed it is a PAIN to access it. I think someone sells them on ebay.
Yes I saw those doors, wasn't bad taking the skirt of, sure was easy doing it from under the fender. Also could see it really good from there. Might be a good thing to making or installing a door door, shouldn't be real hard to.
Go to a your pull it and get the skirt and cut it.
When do you change your fuel filter, how often. I did learn a lot always did work on gas burner and think i'll do more on Duramax myself. I'll just call you. And ask a zillion questions...
Old 09-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #14

There are a couple of Duramax forums, I learned a lot by spending some time on a couple of them and asking questions. Lots of "kids" with lifted trucks and big tires, but there's also a lot of sharp mechanics and RV pullers. Try this one:

Chevy and GMC Duramax Forum

Happy travels!