Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:04 AM   #1

2016 Duramax LML advice needed

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum,but I've been quite active on the class C forum. I have a 2016 with the LML and it only has 4000 miles on it. I been on top of oil changes, have never changed the fuel filter, see no warning lights and having no problems. What would you guys advise me to do right now? Is there a time factor with the fuel filter? Should I add a special lift pump?
The truck is kind of a garage queen, but I need to get up to speed on what I should be doing to make it better. I bought it to pull a fifth wheel, then my wife changed her mind and wanted a class C. She has a real bad back and needs to get up and walk around during a trip. Have any of you done an EGR delete? Is that worth it? Thanks for any advice.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2019, 06:47 PM   #2

Your Duramax should have a fuel life monitor on it which is based on miles and time. I usually let my 2006 and now 2018 Duramax get to 33% life left which usually works out to be every 10k miles and once a year.
Diesels are not made to sit around, you should consider trading it for a gas model.
I did a EGR delete on 2006 because I knew I would put 300k miles plus doing Hot Shot hauling. I have not done any mod's to my 2018 because it's still under warranty and it will probably be a low mileage truck. I expect to only put 100k miles on it over a 10 year period strictly towing a fifth wheel for retirement.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:30 PM   #3

If it was mine i would change the filters yearly. I dont have that issue as my 2018 has 40,000 mi and its not even my daily driver.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #4

Thank you guys.I have considered selling it for a gasser, for just the reason you described. I'll check that fuel filter life monitor, I didn't think about that. Otherwise i love it, particularly the electric folding mirrors. That makes it easy for me to get it into my shop. I love diesels, and have owned a 92 Dodge with a Cummins and a 84 Mercedes SD. Thanks for your replies.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #5

2016----4k----bought used

You do NOT know what went on prior SO------

Change oil, oil filter, FUEL filter
Start fresh THEN follow the maintenance schedule based on YOUR driving habits
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
2016----4k----bought used

You do NOT know what went on prior SO------

Change oil, oil filter, FUEL filter
Start fresh THEN follow the maintenance schedule based on YOUR driving habits
Hi Biscuit, Actually I bought it new. I think I need to do that fuel filter access door mod. So I'm going to replace that fuel filter. Thinking even with 4K miles the filter might start to break down from time alone. Usually I'm right on top of everything, but have a bunch of other stuff keeping me busy. If you guys think there's anything else I should get on right away let me know. I have read about lift pumps? But it has a button like primer pump I believe.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:39 AM   #7

KZ RV Club
HM2CW I have a '15 LML with 50k miles orderd/purchased 5/14 dealer maintained no issues it is used to pull my 20k# 5verTH. Truck has had 2 fuel filter changes due to time replacement SB 2yrs so your overdue check your owners manual to be sure. Bosch CP4 HPFP will not tolerate loss of prime if you do your own filter be sure to fully prime (hand pump at fuel filter housing) before starting as the Bosch CP4 HPFP are prone to failure on loss of fuel prime and could cost $12k+ if downstream fuel injectors are contaminated with metal debris from CP4. FWIW In 2017 GM broke from the Bosch strangle hold and went Denso due to warranty claims and now is in CA law suit for previous years CP4 failures. Ford and FCA are still using CP4s and their owner forums are full of failures, just do an internet search for CP4 failures. I purchased a GM extended warranty on my GMC just for the coverage of the CP4 and keep fuel receipts from Major Oil fuel stations just incase I get a bad fuel load that my warrsnty wouldn't cover. You've got a great truck get current on PMs and drive that beast.
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #8

Thank you Duc, I just received in the mail the little kit to make the plastic door in the fender well, so that I can reach the filter easier. So I'm gonna yank out the fender liner and do it, so I shouldn't need to do it again. I paid way too much for a new fuel filter at Napa, but I just wanted to get it so I shelled out $57 bucks, but you know Napa's always high on everything. Yea I'm gonna start flogging that rig get it shape for the winter. We do get enough snow in Oregon that I usually get it in 4wd once or twice. Thanks again, Don
Old 12-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #9

You can get Duramax fuel filters for about $25 on the internet. A 1/2 doz filters stored under the rear seat should last awhile and it's good to have spares available. The OEM's are made by WIX and sold under the Delco brand. Changing the filter from the top is pretty easy if you use a strap wrench with a short handle.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #10

KZ RV Club
Karmen your welcome, also you might want to read up on the fuel filter comparison test on the Duramax forum done by AlisoBob titled The D-Max 2019 Filter Shootout... PT 2 !
Very interesting results.
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:57 PM   #11

I have a 2015 Chevy High Country DRW that replaced a 2008 GMC DRW that the salt mixture ate the frame and etc. here in Connecticut
So it is not used in winter I drive it every couple weeks around town bring it up to temp change the filter at 20% and don't worry about it. Just drive it love the diesel
08Carriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:53 AM   #12

Great engine. If it's in warranty leave it alone. If not, consider delete. I did add FASS lift pump that has superior filters. Enjoy.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonMaster View Post
Great engine. If it's in warranty leave it alone. If not, consider delete. I did add FASS lift pump that has superior filters. Enjoy.
Now that I'm getting up to speed on these issue's, I'm going to do the Fass pump filter setup too. I almost ordered it on Amazon, but some buyer warned that Fass will not warrant any system bought on Amazon.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:00 AM   #14

If you want the great warranty then you need to buy from an authorized dealer, and Amazon is not one of them. I admit it's not cheap, but it works. I installed it myself and it wasn't too bad. If you have some mechanical skills you can do it. Lots of videos on you tube to checkout and see if your comfortable with it. Probably took me several hours by taking my time.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice