Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
Why worry about witches brews. It is a compression engine. Will burn anything including a diesel-propane mix.
True. As long as it is an old farm tractor
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 06:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
Why worry about witches brews. It is a compression engine. Will burn anything including a diesel-propane mix.
I worked with a few guys that had 7.3L Ford Superduties. They would filter used transmission fluid and used that for years instead of buying diesel. Not sure it has the lubrication a high pressure common rail system needs though.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
True. As long as it is an old farm tractor
Interestingly enough, the old B-series cummins were originally designed for farm tractors.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With the newer diesel engines, electronic and emission controls, I would not mix a witches brew and pour it in the tank. The engines are designed and calibrated for diesel fuel.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #19

You guys relise the military runs the duramax and runs jet A thru it, I will post when I find the ops manual , same factory tuning as everyone in the civ market.

2014 4x CC LML EFI tuned by me
6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
6.6 Military vehicles have no emission systems so it is easier to tweak the CPU to run on almost anything.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #21

Quote:
6.6 Military vehicles have no emission systems so it is easier to tweak the CPU to run on almost anything.
they have a EGR system and CPU what is that?? you mean ECM and I can install programming into mine with EFI live like I do now , they get the same factory programming as you and I. Nothing is changed for fuel type. we had a military truck in the shop a few years ago and we did look at the factory tune, (owner wanted a custom tune) we made a few adjustments and off he went, like EGR code off and he installed a blocker plate

Old 03-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #22

Quote:
But the hardware aka high pressure pump,injectors have to be able to run reliably with it. Programming means nothing if a pump fails due to fuel.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.6 View Post
they have a EGR system and CPU what is that?? you mean ECM and I can install programming into mine with EFI live like I do now , they get the same factory programming as you and I. Nothing is changed for fuel type. we had a military truck in the shop a few years ago and we did look at the factory tune, (owner wanted a custom tune) we made a few adjustments and off he went, like EGR code off and he installed a blocker plate
And what type of fuel do you burn in your truck?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #24

ATF was not designed to be burned as fuel. When burned in a combustion chamber it leaves deposits that are not found in diesel fuel or products designed to be burned.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #25

Quote:
And what type of fuel do you burn in your truck?
I posted this on page 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.6 View Post
I ran Jet A for 35k miles in my 06, got the fuel from work, the only drawback was loss of power and mileage, but the power loss was low. I added 1/2 gal of two cycle to the 100 gal tank in the bed, And 2 qts of powerservice. I can't get the fuel now because we no longer dump it when tank maint is performed.
I was not the only mechanic running Jet in their diesels, 2 dmax`s, 3 fords, and 8 dodges most of them were common rails. Our line equipment (diesels) all run on jet, we even have a common rail tug, and A/C 3 Phase power cart with a 6.7 that runs on jet.

Tags
diesel