Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #1

Adding ATO or 2cycle to diesel

Been advised by truckers to add either ATF or better some 2 cy oil to each fuel up. Advice given because of the low sulfer today.

1 )Is this needed ? If so, which is the better to use ? Understand their are some comm preperations (Lucus) but told the ATF or 2 cyc oil just as effective and a lot cheaper.

2) How much for a 20 gallons fill ?

appreciated,
ray
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrray View Post
Been advised by truckers to add either ATF or better some 2 cy oil to each fuel up. Advice given because of the low sulfer today.

1 )Is this needed ? If so, which is the better to use ? Understand their are some comm preperations (Lucus) but told the ATF or 2 cyc oil just as effective and a lot cheaper.

2) How much for a 20 gallons fill ?

appreciated,
ray

I saw this post yesterday and thought someone would respond to you but I see they haven’t yet so.

No, I would not add that to your fuel system. The newer modern diesel HP common rail fuel injectors cannot tolerate the different burn properties that these additives will cause. Over a year or two the nozzle spray pattern will degrade and you will need new injectors for the engine. There have been several tests by injector manufactures such as BOSH to validate this issue.

The idea of adding either ATF or better some 2 cycle oil to each fuel up was OK with the older mechanical injectors that only spray one time into the fuel bowl of the piston. Some even allowed used engine oil that was filtered to burn in the fuel system. The newer HP common rail fuel injectors have multiple cycles in one power stroke of the piston some have up to five injections.

If you feel the need to add additives then add either Diesel Kleen by Power Service or Howes Lubricator fuel treatment. There are some others but these are the top ranked additives.

Jim W.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #3

I have been adding 2cycle to mine since New .now I have 98k and my balance rates are still +- .4. Btw it is a 06 lbz I add 1 qt to a fill up and I also use a additive
6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.6 View Post
I have been adding 2cycle to mine since New .now I have 98k and my balance rates are still +- .4. Btw it is a 06 lbz I add 1 qt to a fill up and I also use a additive
What year truck do you have? I would be saving some money for replacing the injectors in the near future if I where you. If done at a dealer the cost are around $4K. Do a search on the Duramax forums for injector issues.

But what do I know I am just a retired engineer that designed heavy equipment.

Jim W.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
What year truck do you have? I would be saving some money for replacing the injectors in the near future if I where you. If done at a dealer the cost are around $4K. Do a search on the Duramax forums for injector issues.

But what do I know I am just a retired engineer that designed heavy equipment.

Jim W.
see my post above 2006 with the LBZ . the balance rates are a condition of the injectors, taken at idle, and my injector return rates are great. a bad injector will show +-4.0 and mine are <> .04, also all common rails with the CP3/4 will like the extra lube just like your 6.7. I have lots of friends that have well over 200k on their injectors Post LB7 engines and they have been doing the same as me. as for replacing I do my own work and a inj only takes a few hrs to replace and cost 3-400.00 each. mine are 60 over nozzles and flow lots more then a factory, I replaced the nozzles myself.

BTW injector issues are from model year 01-04 with the LB7 , 05 with the LLY to current engine models do not have the issues you talk about, and yes I am on the forums and kind of know what I am talking about since I have built several high HP engines including mine
Old 01-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #6

I would not and did not put anything in my Duramax except what GM said was okay, and that was Stanadyne. Why take the chance?
Old 01-04-2014, 04:48 AM   #7

This subject has been beaten to death again and again.

If adding ATF was beneficial in any measureable way I'm quite sure Cummins, CAT, Detroit would certainly have included that information with their engines. ATF is not as much of a lubricant as it is a friction promoter since the clutches in an automatic transmission rely on friction to properly move. I don't want anything facilitating friction to be run thru my $3000.00 injection pump... would you?
Old 01-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #8

ATF or 2 cycle to fuel thread

Tks for all replies and advice. My tuck is 06 duramax. Have only added 1 qt of ATF over a 8-10 fillups and less 2 cycle. Hope haven't hurt anything. Think will just stop adding anything except clean diesel.
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #9

If heard that adding a quart of kerosene to a fillup would "help" the engine/injectors but I don't have the guts or the money to experiment.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #10

Kerosene is just hi-grade diesel but I use Power Service just to keep the Lo- sulph from jelling. Boy, Rudolph diesel would roll in his grave as the original diesels would burn anything. When I was in OK they ran one lungers on crude oil, starting them on gas and switching them over when they got hot.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Did not see where this was going. What are we getting by adding this witch's brew to our diesel's? It's funny how these things pop up on forums ever now and again.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #12

I realize this thread is old, and this issue has been beaten to death, but thought I would chime in...

A local company I know of has a large fleet of over-the-road trucks. According to their head mechanic, when the low sulfur diesel first came out they did indeed have a rash of injector pump failures because of the lack of lubrication. For a while they were countering this problem by adding their own lubrication on site to their diesel fuel.

HOWEVER... this has not been an issue for some time since the ULSD is now treated with a lubricant package before it reaches refueling stations. For the most part, there is no longer any need for any type of diesel fuel lubricity additive in any diesel engine, old or new.

It is true that the older diesels are much more tolerant of "stuff" in the fuel than the newer diesels with common rail injection. (Tolerances are much closer on the newer systems in order to handle the incredibly high fuel pressures.) Interesting fact... the old 12 valve cummins (not THAT old ) will run on just about anything, including straight motor oil, tranny fluid, gear oil, hydraulic oil, peanut oil, etc. There are even a few folks out there filtering used engine oil with a centrifuge down to the sub-micron level and mixing it with 15% or 20% gasoline to make a fuel that is similar in viscosity and flash point to pure diesel... and running it for hundreds of thousands of miles in their old cummins. Not saying I'd condone that as everyday practice, but it is doable. FWIW, I've experimented with this on a little kubota diesel with surprising results. I'm guessing emissions go to heck when you burn straight oil...

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #13

I ran Jet A for 35k miles in my 06, got the fuel from work, the only drawback was loss of power and mileage, but the power loss was low. I added 1/2 gal of two cycle to the 100 gal tank in the bed, And 2 qts of powerservice. I can't get the fuel now because we no longer dump it when tank maint is performed.

2014 4x CC LML EFI tuned by me
Old 03-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #14

Why worry about witches brews. It is a compression engine. Will burn anything including a diesel-propane mix.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel