RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:12 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
computer chip

has anybody put a chip on there deisel. have duramax o4 5500 chassie. bought a used class c has a bulldog chip on it called company they said it . was out dated and can't be upgraded. here about gator, wan't to update any suggestion?

new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by new rver View Post
has anybody put a chip on there diesel. have Duramax o4 5500 chassis. bought a used class c has a bulldog chip on it called company they said it . was out dated and can't be upgraded. here about gator, want to update any suggestion?
You can call Brazels RV Performance for some insight into what they do on DMax Engines. I know that they do have DMax solution. I'm not sure about your 2004.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #3

Brazels RV Performance and a few other diesel performance programs are excellent. Some cheaper "chips" do not have the necessary features to prevent inadvertent engine damage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vectra_Bob
I had a 2003 Duramax 6.6L and ran a Hyperteh Max Power unit on it. It is better than a Chip as it tunes all of the items you need to set where a chip just does some of them. I have it listed for sale under the part on here. I can tell you it makes a big difference in pulling as we had a 39' Montana with 4 slides and we were full-timers with a lot of stuff with us we maxed out at just over 14,000# that we were towing. It pulled the moutians fine and the settings on the fans kicked in to keep temps in line. Power was a lot better and so was the fuel usage from stock. We just sold out truck and fifthwheel and changed to a MH.
Vectra_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:42 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Brazels RV Performance and a few other diesel performance programs are excellent. Some cheaper "chips" do not have the necessary features to prevent inadvertent engine damage.
Back in 2007 I had two chats with some customer service reps.. One from Workhorse and one from Ford.

Both told identical stories of customers who had seriously "Upgraded" their engines.. With the result of needing a full major overhaul to replace damaged components in the engine.. NOT just the Ultra Power or Banks Power pack but these folks had used some "Discount" Upgrade Chips. With predictable results.

There's a hole, there's a hole there's a hole in the piston in the block.

One thing I have read about the folks who sell Untra Power (Brazel's and Redlands) is that they stand behind their upgrades.

You buy from Joe's Engine Chips. and when the thing goes BOOM on you.. Well, Joe... has changed his name to Pete and he won't talk to you.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:53 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
yes i agree.
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We pulled our 5th wheel for over 30,000 miles and there was never a problem with the Hypertech Max Energy unit or the Duramax engine. In fact it ran smoother, and cooler when under a load, and pulling a 39 ' 14,000 # 5th wheel will do that for sure in the mountians. I know that one of our RV buddy's rig had a "Chip" in it and he was overheating all of the time, but is was not a GMC I think it was a Ford 350. Most of the Escapees that I talked to preferred the programer to the chip. Any thoughts on the difference between the two?
Old 09-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #8

"One thing I have read about the folks who sell Untra Power (Brazel's and Redlands) is that they stand behind their upgrades."

What do they say when Ford voids the warranty simply because you had the Ultra Power unit on it?

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I could just go online and download any upgrades for my Hypertech MaxPower programer, and then hook up the control unit to the computer and it was updated. Then it was just a simple hook up to the truck computer and go through the questions and save it and I was upgraded. Fast and easy. My DuraMax ran great with this unit programed. More power, and ran cooler, and fuel milage was better as well. No complaints.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #10

I have a used DiabloSport Predator for 2001-2004 LB7 Duramax engines for sale it you want it. This unit is unlocked and ready for use. I traded my 02 for an 08 and don't have a use for this tuner anymore. They run $309.00 new. I will sell it for $150.00 plus shipping. PM me if you're interested. The website below shows the details for the tuner.

DiabloSport :: Gas and Diesel Tuning Systems
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Predator_1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	6525  
Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #11

This is from the Diablo website that unit is talking about. " DiabloSport strongly recommends the use of larger diameter performance exhaust components and exhaust temperature gauges with the use of any performance diesel tuning." This is true for any performance enhancing product, not just Diablo.
A diesel engine is a heat engine; approximately 1/3 of heat produced is exhausted, 1/3 is absorbed by the cooling system and radiated from the engine proper, 1/3 is producing power. As you can see, if you increase heat production (increase HP) you must also provide means for getting more heat away from the engine faster.
To me this means one must install a larger exhaust system and gauges BEFORE increasing HP.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #12

The Duramax has a three inch diameter, factory exhaust and is more than adequate for the lower horsepower settings on the Predator. However, I wouldn't run a tuner without an EGT gauge, because you do need to know what the temps are. If you want the truck to come alive, then put a tuner on it. You'll love the performance and no - you won't harm the truck unless you abandon all reason. In addition you can use the tuner to monitor many engine functions, such as injector balance rates - key indicators of injector failure on the early Dmax engines and you can adjust the speedometer for different size tires. Not many owners are fans of the 245 factory tires and go to 265's. The Predator can correct the speedo so you know how fast you're really going and you can keep accurate mpg figures.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #13

Sorry boys - I sold the tuner!
Old 11-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Once you install a chip, it is detectable after you take it out.

A tuner leaves no imprint.

Just saying.......

Kerry

Kerry

two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote