RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Computer issue

We were heading to Asheville, NC is December in our K3500 DRW Duramx Silverado. We were about 1 mi down the interstate when a message saying something about "reduced performance" appeared on the DIC and it felt like the engine quit running. I pulled over and the truck wouldn't run over 40 mph so I limped it back home. The message said something about changing the fuel filter even tho it had over 50% filter life left the day before. I changed the fuel filter (which wasn't fun) and the engine ran for 15sec and quit. Wouldn't restart. Had it towed to dealer and drove my wife's 2-wheel drive car. The next day Asheville got 17" of snow. I could have chewed roofing nails because my big 4-wheel drive truck was sitting at the dealer. I'm just glad we didn't have the 5er behind us as I wanted to tow when we first planned the trip. As it turned out, the computer had to be completely reprogrammed. Not sure what was the cause (no aftermarket goodies). I know this isn't a Duramax issue per se, but has anyone else had a similar experience?
Ed

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I'm sorry for your trouble. I would not have imagined that the ECM on your D-Max would loose its programming. I'm still trying to figure that one out!

DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #3

Becareful fuel filter sign also means low fuel pressure. Our 08. Duramax spent 5 weeks with GM for a fuel filter light. Stay on top and take good notes.
419jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a problem with my 2003 GMC 3/4 ton while on a cross country trip and I was out in middle of Montana. I used the "OnStar" feature built into the truck and they did a diagnosis even while I was still driving.
OnStar then told me the next exit I should take and go to a dealer who was ready when I got there and they cured the problem.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Low fuel pressure is how it determines the filter needs changing, This can also be caused by a bad connection on the fuel pump power leads, You can also get some nasty things happeing if there is a poor ground on the engine wiring harness (or any other key connection) This can even mess up the computer.

So can (in some cases) a high powered radio nearby however that said, I do know that many Dodge vehicles are tested with 1,000 watt transmitters (During the design proofing stage) actually mounted in the vehicle.. I know some of the folks who do that testing.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan0810 View Post
...I changed the fuel filter (which wasn't fun) and the engine ran for 15sec and quit. Wouldn't restart...
Just curious. After you changed the fuel filter, did you prime it before starting the engine? I'm assuming you did, but you don't say. If you didn't, it could have been a contributing factor to your starting problem.

I really miss my 7.3 PowerStroke when it comes to changing the fuel filter. GM did a poor job in this area.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #7

What could be going on is you may have a injector returning to much fuel this will set a p0087 the first thing is to check the fuel filter any GM shop thats works on 6.6 should have a vaccum gage and can tell you if the filter is pluged this problem show up when you are working your truck and trailer need to have return fuel checked on the injector make sure it is performed using the new enhanced dig

gstuart is offline   Reply With Quote