Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #1

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Question Driving In Tow/Haul Mode When Empty

Does anyone in tow/haul mode on a regular or even infrequent basis when empty? In my experience, so far, I can understand where for those driving in relatively flat areas, tow/haul wouldn't buy them anything.

However, I find that here in the hills of Pennsylvania, using tow/haul when empty seems to have advantages. I even invoke it momentarily when slowing down for red lights and on downhill grades for the additional engine braking that just isn't there when not in tow/haul mode. Uphill, the truck seems to pull easier and responds quicker when more power is needed; more like my 5 speed manual Ford PowerStroke did. Although it pulls OK uphill when not in tow/haul mode, to me, it feels like the engine is somewhat lugging and response is sluggish because it's always at a much lower RPM.

What I'm really interested in is fuel mileage. On the flats, yes, fuel mileage would most likely suffer running in tow/haul mode. But, I'd like to hear from those who drive in hilly areas as to what difference in fuel mileage, if any, they've noticed driving with tow/haul mode on vs. tow/haul mode off when empty. Your experiences, in general, would be appreciated too.

From what information I've read so far, it's OK to use tow/haul when empty but shifts may be more abrupt. I also suspect that you might be changing your oil a little more frequently as I believe the Oil Life percentage that displays on the DIC (for those who have this feature) is based on engine revolutions and, of course, there will be more engine revs when in tow/haul mode. Correct me if I am wrong about this or if there are other criteria in determining when the oil needs to be changed.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I use my tow/haul when empty frequently on grades. I'm in a mountainous area and using it lets the Allison downshift when needed on downgrades and keeps up-shifting to a minimum on the switchbacks on upgrades.

I haven't evaluated any differences in mileage using it, here in the mountains mileage is what it is. What you loose going up, hopefully you get it back going down.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #3

This" Frequently Asked Questions: Service: Allison Transmission
is all I have to offer to your questions. I use tow/haul in hilly areas when empty too, I don't notice any detectable drop in fuel mileage when empty. I suspect it's because the engine isn't working hard. I've even noticed that I get better mileage using tow/haul when towing in hilly or windy conditions, this again I attribute to the engine not working as hard as it does at lower RPM.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks for the link, Ray. I read through all the FAQs but some of them appear to apply to the older 5 speed transmission and I have a 6 speed. I also downloaded the "Getting To Know The Duramax Diesel" booklet. I received the booklet when I bought the truck but having a "machine readable" copy is great because I don't have to run out to the truck (where I keep it) for it whenever I need to reference something.

From what I read on the Allison website, it seems that other owners use tow/haul mode when empty for many of the same reasons that I do.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote