RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:31 PM   #1

Dually valve stems

Gents, the valve stems on the inner wheel of my dually appear difficult to reach. Is this common? I am thinking of the tire monitor and it may be difficult too. This os on a 2016 Denali. Seems like the position of the hole of the tire would never line up with opening in the outside tire mighty obliged with any help cheers

Bohdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2019, 10:12 PM   #2

well i use the type of tier gauge that has the two part end on it ,its made to reach in there, its the shorter of the two, also spend the money and buy the one that has the one of the heads is bent or curved, because it reaches in much easier. youll see the differance,, a good auto parts store will have both THOMAS

THOMAS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:29 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Duallyvalve

I just ordered these metal valve stems since I plan to run TST507 tire pressure monitors. The should extend the stems out to make it very easy to check pressures and add air. Not cheap but a one time purchase that can make my life easier and safer. I don't know why they use rubber stems on the rear wheels and metal on the front ones from the factory.

https://www.shinyrv.com/product/dual...free-shipping/

I will give an update after I have everything done.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:42 PM   #4

Valve stem extensions on the rear wheels are an absolute must to be able to get air in the inside tire! I had extensions installed along with Tyron straps (www.tyron.com) inside the tire rims. Now, I can monitor the tire pressure with a TPMS . I also carry an air compressor onboard so I can always get air in a tire anywhere.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I also used the dually one piece extended valve stems. Purchased from shinyRV.com. This was after dealing with extensions long enough. TPMS sensors work much better, no leaks and adding air is much easier.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:09 PM   #6

Try a dually air chuck. I just leave the valve cover off and can reach the valve stem easily.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #7

Commercial Member

Important warning on any valve extension or any valve longer than an inch or so.

Be sure to support the stem when inflating or checking pressure. The force it takes to get a good seal can end up distorting the rubber gasket where the valve goes through the wheel or even bend and crack the long metal stem. This can result is a slow leak and potentially into an actual tire failure because of the slow leak and failure to run TPMS and receive a warning of air loss.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:44 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
In my 15 years in the rv business I had numerous customers with failed extensions. They are crap. I switched to the dually valves several years ago and they are fantastic. I love mine.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by armullis View Post
Valve stem extensions on the rear wheels are an absolute must to be able to get air in the inside tire! I had extensions installed along with Tyron straps (www.tyron.com) inside the tire rims. Now, I can monitor the tire pressure with a TPMS . I also carry an air compressor onboard so I can always get air in a tire anywhere.
My 02 dually had OEM rubber-coated brass 3" stems.
That was not true for me, I used a Milton straight-foot extended air chuck.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Try a dually air chuck. I just leave the valve cover off and can reach the valve stem easily.
Agreed. I have to take off my "hub cap" on my steel rims. But its not an issue with this tool.

Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, valve