Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #1

Duramax cranks but won't start

Just info if you might have this problem. Have a 2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. A few days ago I started it just fine & backed up 2 ft to load, shut off eng. when I went to start it, would crank, but would not start. Started looking on Duramax forums on line & found good U tube how to prime fuel filter. Tried that twice & it started up & I have started & stop it, driving several miles since & no more problems. I had had Chevy dealer change fuel filter at 50K, now at 80K. Looking at forum several people had taken it to dealer, & they had said it was batteries & replaced them. If it was batteries, why would it crank so well? Dealer probably just primed the filter & charged them for new batteries. Should have never lost its prime, hasn't before in 80K miles. If it happens again have to see whats what. Never had any leaking fuel.
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2017, 07:54 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought my 2005 Chevy 2500HD w/Duramax in 2009. It had 169K, now has almost 300K and has always run like a beast. I've either performed or had performed all maintenance per schedule. About two years after I bought it I started having problems with it cranking strong but not starting. I don't know where I got the idea but I decided to try the fuel advance pump on the top of the fuel filter. I pumped it once and found little resistance as if I had just changed the filter so I continued until the resistance started. I then cranked it and after a few extra revolutions it caught on strong.

This behavior has been very intermittant. It has gone through periods of occuring only after sitting a few days to as long as a year withont it happening. Lately it is my normal starting procedure to the extent it may require two pumping sessions every morning but I have never had to do it later in the day. I have asked on forums and a diesel mechanic and not been able to find a solution so I just follow the routine day by day.

Maybe someone here knows the magic formula.
oldSarge98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:17 AM   #3

My 03 did it for years, every time I parked facing uphill. After I replaced the filter head, it hasn't done it since.

You have a leak somewhere, Fuel is running back to the tank when it's not running causing you to lose prime.
quartlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:32 AM   #4

Grand Design Owners Club
Usually removing and resealing the fuel filter housing/water separator will cure this issue. There are several o-ring seals that fail with age allowing air to enter filter assy Kits are available with all needed parts. Shouldn't cost too much at
a shop or if you are a bit mechanically inclined do it yourself. Lube the seals when assembling.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:27 AM   #5

I know I’m a little answering this, but thanks to all for the advise.
Since that one time wouldn’t start with good cranking, & re-priming fuel filter, no other starting problems. Dealer changed fuel filter at 50k, I will change again at 100k or if it does it again sooner, & make sure o-rings are lubed & positioned correctly. Can’t trust chevy dealer to do anything right - sad.
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:39 PM   #6

I change my 06 duramax fuel filter every 10k miles. It is important to put oil on the upper O ring, rubber flap and lower water sensor O ring to get/keep a good seal. Change the fuel filter often, the Duramax fuel system is fed by suction from the fuel tank and the slightest filter plugging will starve and overwork the fuel pump. The newer 17 models finally use a fuel boost pump to correct the starve issue.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM travelers View Post
I know I’m a little answering this, but thanks to all for the advise.
Since that one time wouldn’t start with good cranking, & re-priming fuel filter, no other starting problems. Dealer changed fuel filter at 50k, I will change again at 100k or if it does it again sooner, & make sure o-rings are lubed & positioned correctly. Can’t trust chevy dealer to do anything right - sad.

Please don't wait that long to change a filter. I change Oil every 5000, fuel and transmission filters at 10,000

Filters and oil are cheap in the long run. I'm at 250,000 miles and for the first 2500 after an oil change, it still looks like new.
quartlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:56 PM   #8

Replace o rings on top of filter...... that is a common problem. 15 min job.
Realfunone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #9

I had same problem with my 2007 Classic. When fuel level got below half, I would have to prime the filter to get it to start. The problem was the fuel module in the tank. Replaced it and have had no problem since.
Mece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #10

I have a 2013 Silverado 3500HD Duramax and "have never" had this problem. It only has 58,000 on it but with reading this...I'll be keeping my eyes open!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #11

New fuel filters come with new rubber O rings which should be changed with the filter, every 10k miles is the normal frequency. What module is in the Duramax fuel tank? I'm aware of a float system, but there is no pump, therefor no need for a module in the tank. The fuel injector pump on pre -2017 Duramax's uses a vacuum to suck the fuel from the tank to the engine. The most common issue to the fuel system losing prime is air getting into the system from faulty gaskets.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #12

Common problem with the Duramax. Replaced the fuel filter head assembly / primer assembly with GM part #12645619, $172 at any Chevy or GM dealership and even comes w a new filter. No problems since, and I rebuilt the old assembly when I got home for less than $10 so I'll have a spare.
Easy to replace, just need an 8mm box end and a pair of vice grips. Sure u can find it cheeper on line, but I was in Utah and 2000 miles from home is no place to be cheep.
Hope this helps.
Nana257 is offline   Reply With Quote