Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #1

I've been reading about EGT in diesels and wonder what the max EGT would be for a 2006 Duramax LLY? Also, how does one go about lowering EGT when towing and/or climbing hills?

Thanks,
Paul
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #2

I've been reading about EGT in diesels and wonder what the max EGT would be for a 2006 Duramax LLY? Also, how does one go about lowering EGT when towing and/or climbing hills?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paulin:

Thanks,
Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You will fnd many pages of discussion at: dieselplace.com. This is arguably the best website for Duramax information. At 1,350*F aluminum pistons, valves, and combustion chamber areas begin to sustain damage, as the temperature rises even higher those parts sustain damage at a faster rate.
To reduce EGT two things are vital, reduce engine stress and increase engine cooling.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
As Ray said, the dieselplace has a wealth of info but from my experience, the temps all depend on whether your pyro is in the manifold or in the downpipe. That makes a big difference as to the temps, I have mine in the downpipe and I don't let the temps get over 1050 and try to stay below 1000. When in the manifold you want to stay below 1300-1350.

I find that the temps rise when you start to lug the engine, what I usually do is force a downshift if I see the temps getting too high which increases the rpm's and cools the EGT's down by adding more air. Your findings may be different than mine but that is how I handle my engine. In some rare situations I have had to back off the pedal even after downshifting to baby it up the hill because of the temps. But usually I keep it ripping with a downshift and keep pedaling. Keep the RPM's up and hammer down.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:03 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
In general, if your EGTs get excessive when pulling a grade:

1. Downshift. This increases airflow per unit of time through the engine as well as lowering BMEP for a given BHP output. Both should lower EGT.

2. If that's not enough, pull your right foot out of the smoke pedal (the long, skinny one on the right). That's what we mean when we say that we're "driving by the pyrometer" on grades.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #6

When I replaced my stock exhaust with a 4 inch cat back system, my EGT's dropped 150 degrees when pulling. EGT on grades used to run around 1350, but it seldom goes over 1200 now.I'm told removing the cat will reduce EGT's further, but you're taking a chance with the Feds.
2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #7

duramax can be safely run all day 1400* pre turbo