RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-04-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 119
Eng light and limp mode

06 duramax; 110,000
Went to limp mode twice same day. Shut down for a spell and then ok. But didn't last. Pulling 12,000lb fiver.

GM Tec found injector pump vac at 15lbs. Should be under 5. Suspected fuel restriction. Changed fuel filter and got vac to 3. Believed problem solved. On way back, unloaded, engine light back on. Power and gages all normal. Afraid to hook up and tow until resolved.

Tecs now suspicious of failing inj pump. Need to return Monday for more tests. Think will check vac again; see if filter clogged; check sending sensor -

If inj pump, say $10k fix because entire fuel system, inc injectors need to be replaced - should just trade in.

Hoping for best. What other causes for problem? How does one check condition of injector pump ?

stressed and appreciate any advice -
__________________

rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
2 Stroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Warren, Oregon
Posts: 2,304
Sounds like the same problem some of the Ford PSD 6.7 are having, when the Bosch fuel pump goes out at a cost of $10-11K (new pump-fuel lines-injectors-fuel tank) even under warranty it's on you because Ford said it is water in the fuel.
Have you been over to Diesel Place: Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums to see if anyone has lost a pump.
I have an 06 Ford PSD 6.0 and run Ford cetane boost in the fuel to help keep things lubed and up the cetane.
New trucks do smell good
2 stroker
__________________

__________________
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series, Samsung 197 RR
Cat C9--STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mounting
SilverLeaf 330 Magnum 2812 PSW 2011 Ford Edge Sport-Air Force One
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Sounds like the same problem some of the Ford PSD 6.7 are having, when the Bosch fuel pump goes out at a cost of $10-11K (new pump-fuel lines-injectors-fuel tank) even under warranty it's on you because Ford said it is water in the fuel.
Have you been over to Diesel Place: Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums to see if anyone has lost a pump.
I have an 06 Ford PSD 6.0 and run Ford cetane boost in the fuel to help keep things lubed and up the cetane.
New trucks do smell good
2 stroker

That is a false statement because it is not true at all. I have replaced 6.7L fuel systems under Ford warranty due to the failed Bosch high pressure pump failures. When it is not warranty is when there is obvious lack of maint due to extreme contamination.

For the OP, if there is high inlet restriction there is a reason for that. Im not sure how the fuel system is exactly set up on the GM trucks but if you have heavy fuel tank contamination it will cause repeat plugged up filters. Your tank may need to be removed and cleaned out. If the truck runs pretty good, I cant see a high pressure fuel pump failure as an issue. But if it has an issue, the injectors may be ok. Usually the injectors require replacement due to a completely failed high pressure pump.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
2 Stroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Warren, Oregon
Posts: 2,304
Well dang, false statement. I just report from the people know.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25850681.cfm
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1099978-painful-an-update.html
2 stroker
__________________
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series, Samsung 197 RR
Cat C9--STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mounting
SilverLeaf 330 Magnum 2812 PSW 2011 Ford Edge Sport-Air Force One
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Well being I have the information from Ford (because I worked for them at a dealer level and SEO) on how to tell if the failure is due to a manufacture defect or not I can say what you said is wrong. I have replaced fuel systems due to manufacture defect under Ford warranty per the warranty guide lines and the prior approval process. So I can pretty much care less that you find stuff on the internet (because everything on there is true). Do I think some of the denials are ridiculous, yes but you are still wrong.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
That is a false statement because it is not true at all. I have replaced 6.7L fuel systems under Ford warranty due to the failed Bosch high pressure pump failures. When it is not warranty is when there is obvious lack of maint due to extreme contamination.

For the OP, if there is high inlet restriction there is a reason for that. Im not sure how the fuel system is exactly set up on the GM trucks but if you have heavy fuel tank contamination it will cause repeat plugged up filters. Your tank may need to be removed and cleaned out. If the truck runs pretty good, I cant see a high pressure fuel pump failure as an issue. But if it has an issue, the injectors may be ok. Usually the injectors require replacement due to a completely failed high pressure pump.
Truck runs fine alone. When towing 12,000 lb trailer, enters into Limp Mode after 50-100 miles. Resets as ok -Light out - after being shut down for a few minutes. Eng light comes on when unburdened but doesn't lose power.
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
jimcumminsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oswego IL
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrray View Post
06 duramax; 110,000
Went to limp mode twice same day. Shut down for a spell and then ok. But didn't last. Pulling 12,000lb fiver.

GM Tec found injector pump vac at 15lbs. Should be under 5. Suspected fuel restriction. Changed fuel filter and got vac to 3. Believed problem solved. On way back, unloaded, engine light back on. Power and gages all normal. Afraid to hook up and tow until resolved.

Tecs now suspicious of failing inj pump. Need to return Monday for more tests. Think will check vac again; see if filter clogged; check sending sensor -

If inj pump, say $10k fix because entire fuel system, inc injectors need to be replaced - should just trade in.

Hoping for best. What other causes for problem? How does one check condition of injector pump ?

stressed and appreciate any advice -
First off you have a CP3 fuel pump not a CP4 like the newer model trucks (2010 and up).

Did this problem start right after you fueled up?

Take a fuel sample and have this tested to insure there is no water and or algae in the fuel. If there is; the station insurance should pay for the damage to the pump. You need to have the receipt to prove this.

Did you see the old fuel filter and how many miles between the last time you changed your fuel filter?

By changing the fuel filter and the vacuum at the fuel pump was at 3 psi when you left the dealership and now the sensor is saying you have an issue (check engine light). I would suspect there might be an issue with the fuel in the tank that the pump is drawing to the filter. Before changing out the pump you may want to drain the fuel from the tank and have the tank cleaned. This should be cheaper than putting in a new fuel system on the engine. This would also help any new pump that you install if the tank is not the problem.

I do not want to get into a brand war but this is one reason I like the Ram design since it has a in-tank lift pump feeding the CP3 fuel pump.

This is also something you can do is by adding an AIR Dog fuel system to the Chevy/GMC read up on the Air Dog fuel systems.

Jim W.
__________________
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: N VA
Posts: 202
Another thing. Change the fuel filter again. Mine did it and we put on a second filter and it went away. Also, make sure the fuel cap isn't the problem. If they don't seal, the Duramax won't run right. Went through that once.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
6.6
Member
 
6.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 34
what code it throw?? low rail pressure Po87??? this is the most common code, could be a few things like leaking filter head, collapsed fuel lines, why do they want to replace the entire system?? unless the ball is fractured in the Cp3 and debris filled the rails and made it to the injectors. since it is a 06 I would suspect collapse lines or leak at the FF head and you can get viton orings kit for 15dollars from OEM Filter Head Viton Replacement O-Rings, Nicktane. real easy to fix and cheaper then 150 for a new head from the factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
This is also something you can do is by adding an AIR Dog fuel system to the Chevy/GMC read up on the Air Dog fuel systems.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Jim W.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
my engine loves the AD2-165 lift pump
6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 119
eng light and limp mode - outcome OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrray View Post
06 duramax; 110,000
Went to limp mode twice same day. Shut down for a spell and then ok. But didn't last. Pulling 12,000lb fiver.

GM Tec found injector pump vac at 15lbs. Should be under 5. Suspected fuel restriction. Changed fuel filter and got vac to 3. Believed problem solved. On way back, unloaded, engine light back on. Power and gages all normal. Afraid to hook up and tow until resolved.

Tecs now suspicious of failing inj pump. Need to return Monday for more tests. Think will check vac again; see if filter clogged; check sending sensor -

If inj pump, say $10k fix because entire fuel system, inc injectors need to be replaced - should just trade in.

Hoping for best. What other causes for problem? How does one check condition of injector pump ?

stressed and appreciate any advice -

Tks for all advice. Dealer mech believed a fuel restriction. Replaced filter. Discovered fuel filter leak next morning. Cured that. Bad part was we were in an area with no cel, no wifi service. Ft Stockton, 90 mi one way. Final test was long pull out of Alpine, tx west on 90 at 65mph. Van Horn toward El Paso another test. Drove to Deming, NM and truck running fine. So, problem was only the fuel filter. Going to change that sucker more often, even if the DIS says 30% to go. Much relieved. Whew. That 10G est had me worried.
ps: diesel machanic at dealer told me they replace a lot of inj pumps on 10,11 & 12's under warranty. Said seldom an 05-06 goes bad. Plan to keep this one. Light was probably an EGR alert. Found there is a blocking plate for $5 that eliminates the EGR.
Again, tks to all who responded to my issue. A great site for advice
ray
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #11
6.6
Member
 
6.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrray View Post
Found there is a blocking plate for $5 that eliminates the EGR.

ray
do not put the blocker plate in unless you put a finger stick in or, remove CEL code for the EGR. You can do this with EFI LIVE. When I had a EGR system (cooler) I did this first and when I put it in the pipes were really a mess with soot junk and I only had 63k
__________________
06 4x CC LBZ weekend racer and pulling truck, 12.1@108 1/4

2014 4x CC LML EFI tuned by me
6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: N VA
Posts: 202
I thought EGR blocker plate was only for 07 on up. Learn something new every day. Read on install its a tight fit right at Y beside trans dipstick.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #13
6.6
Member
 
6.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
I thought EGR blocker plate was only for 07 on up. Learn something new every day. Read on install its a tight fit right at Y beside trans dipstick.
04 to current, LLY on up have a EGR cooler and can be blocked
__________________
06 4x CC LBZ weekend racer and pulling truck, 12.1@108 1/4

2014 4x CC LML EFI tuned by me
6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: N VA
Posts: 202
I hope to install the EGR block and I have the Transfer case pump plate to install. I also have a Caterpillar fuel filter installed which works better than Chevy and I have to change less often. Only goes to limp mode when the filter is plugged which would simply mean it isn't getting fuel flow. You could even have a plugged fuel feed line. I would also go back, change the filter again, (water can cause headaches) and use the Aviation Mechanics creed, "Kiss" Keep it simple stupid! and I am not referring to you as stupid but jet engines shut down from simple things.
__________________

Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.