RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #15

You guys need to take samples and get it tested. I am an Aircraft mech and owned Class 8 trucks. We sample oil eveery other oil change unless a problem appears, then we may cut mileage b/n changes and samples.

Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #16

I love all of the internet "experts" who are so much smarter than the engineers that designed, tested, and built these machines.

It is your vehicle, do as YOU wish.

Bipeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #17

I have a 2007 3500 Duramax dually. I tow a 12/13,000 lb 5er. I change the fuel filter every 12,000 miles or less. I have had to have this truck towed twice because I failed to pay attention to the 12,000 mile limit. Both times it was at 15,000 on the filter. I do not pay attention to the % of life left. I change the filter myself. Takes me about 20 minutes and $30/$60(depending on where I have to buy the filter). If you are going to change it yourself - get the tool to remove the plastic gadgets that hold the wheel-well cover in place. Also look up how to change the filter (and prime it) on google.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #18

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
...If you are going to change it yourself - get the tool to remove the plastic gadgets that hold the wheel-well cover in place...
Can you provide any information about this tool- like the manufacturer, item number, where you purchased it, etc.?
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #19

Another easy way to change your filter is to install this nicely made access panel. I have one and it makes changing filters very easy.

Access Panel 2011-Up Duramax LML Fuel Filter Access Door - MadJack Diesel Performance They make these for other years as well

Tool for removing push pins is called a door trim removal tool most auto stores have them.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #20

Mr. Martin, the tool is called "Push Pin Pliers" #3729. I found it at NAPA. Can't remember what it cost.

I like the idea of cutting an inspection door in the wheel well - I think that is the next thing I'll do.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #21

I just looked at the access door - it seems to still need the plastic pins to hold it in. I think I can invent something using piano hinge and some type of lock
Old 12-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #22

I have a lift pump, and a adapter that removes the factory filter (nicktane) which puts in a CAT filter, I run syn oil and change my fuel filters ever other oil change which is 6k, do I put more money into this truck than I have too?? Yes.. but it is my money, do what you want and when your inj fail , or the CP3/4 failed because bad fuel finally got thru, dont cry about how GM let you down
6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #23

And so it goe's on. To 6.6, it is your money and the IRS's. I have driven 2.4 million miles in diesels, operated diesel tractors and combines and even own a John Deere 455 diesel lawnmower. The longer you leave a fuel filter on the more efficient it becomes.
Fuel filters, by design, become more restrictive to the flow of fuel as they go about their job of removing contaminants from the fuel system. Fuel systems, unlike lube systems, do not have the opportunity for bypass flow and consequently, as flow through the fuel filter becomes severely restricted or plugged, loss of engine power will result. So your engine stops and you have to replace the filter! What damage to injectors does this cause? Having been a Mechanic on Aircraft also I have been educated in filters so don't rant on me.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
And so it goe's on. To 6.6, it is your money and the IRS's. I have driven 2.4 million miles in diesels, operated diesel tractors and combines and even own a John Deere 455 diesel lawnmower. The longer you leave a fuel filter on the more efficient it becomes.
Fuel filters, by design, become more restrictive to the flow of fuel as they go about their job of removing contaminants from the fuel system. Fuel systems, unlike lube systems, do not have the opportunity for bypass flow and consequently, as flow through the fuel filter becomes severely restricted or plugged, loss of engine power will result. So your engine stops and you have to replace the filter! What damage to injectors does this cause? Having been a Mechanic on Aircraft also I have been educated in filters so don't rant on me.
I don't follow you here. First you say to leave the fuel filter on longer because it becomes more efficient then you say as more fuel passes through it, it will clog. There is a certain amount of truth with filters and as they accumulate some debris they can filter more out, however todays fuel filters are designed to filter out 4 microns or higher. Now while the filter is relatively clean, the fuel will be slowed down going through the filter because there is a larger surface area where the fuel can easily go through slowly. This will allow for less pass through pressure and allow the media to do it's job. As the filter clogs there is more restriction points that causes the fluid to speed up as the engine demands for more fuel. This speed increase does not allow the original time the fuel had for cleaning. This is where high quality filters pay a part as they keep their filtering rating longer.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
And they all have fuel pumps right???

last time I looked everyone here on this thread owns a 6.6 from GM and they do not have a lift pump or fuel pump like the dodge or ford trucks, unless it is a van , our fuel is pulled from the tank under vacume, bosch told GM to incorporate this but they said no, put a vacume gage on your fuel filter bleed screw and then look at the difference between a new filter and a filter with 6k miles, your CP3 or 4 pump works harder and the harder the pumps in the CP work the less life they have, this system installed from GM is flawed right from the start, rubber lines that collapse when they get hot and or some life on them, then leaking filter heads, and no way to push fuel to the pump. I am also a current A&P with IA and a ATP rated pilot our injectors a lot different then a turbine or recip inj..
Old 05-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #26

I have a simple rule, change the oil every 5,000, rotate the tires at every oil change and change the fuel filter every other oil change. Works for me
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:34 AM   #27

I have a 2004 and I just went through my second set of injectors. The first set went at 60k and were done under warranty, the second set at 40K. The diesel shop said the injectors are not the issue, its the fuel filtering. he installed a FASS lift pump which will filter the fuel down to about 3 microns unlike the 10-12 that the regular filter does.

Read Duramax Injectors Failure | Diesel Performance Part Reviews

I hope its worth the $1000, if so it beats another $4500 bill.
Paul Beddows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Beddows View Post
I have a 2004 and I just went through my second set of injectors. The first set went at 60k and were done under warranty, the second set at 40K. The diesel shop said the injectors are not the issue, its the fuel filtering. he installed a FASS lift pump which will filter the fuel down to about 3 microns unlike the 10-12 that the regular filter does.

Read Duramax Injectors Failure | Diesel Performance Part Reviews

I hope its worth the $1000, if so it beats another $4500 bill.
One of the first mods I did to my 06 when I picked it up from the factory was the fuel pump install ( Air dog 165) but I installed it myself and only paid 650.00, I even put the ad2-165 on the 2014 truck

2014 4x CC LML EFI tuned by me

Tags
fuel