Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #1

Is adding def a pain

Sold on 2015 Silverado 3500 diesel. Is it a pain to add the DEF? Was thinking of using laundry detergent container w a valve dispenser I could set over the fill tube and just fill slowly. Anyone doing something similar or have other suggestions?
Jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 07:21 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure why you are asking.
On my RV, I just remove the cap on the tank and add the def.
The 2 gal jugs come with a flex spout. So I don't even need a funnel.

Just learn how to read the date codes because DEF goes bad after 2 years.

Dan
Old 04-08-2015, 03:18 AM   #3

Dan. Not quite so easy on Silverado. The def fill tube is under the hood near the fire wall. I'm 5'9", that means lifting the DEF more than chest height and then 2-3 feet in front of me to reach the fill tube and holding it there. Ok, so only 2-3 times per year but still not fun. Just wondering if anyone was doing it differently. Don't know why chevy had to be different from ford and ram.
Jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:02 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
Dan. Not quite so easy on Silverado. The def fill tube is under the hood near the fire wall. I'm 5'9", that means lifting the DEF more than chest height and then 2-3 feet in front of me to reach the fill tube and holding it there. Ok, so only 2-3 times per year but still not fun. Just wondering if anyone was doing it differently. Don't know why chevy had to be different from ford and ram.
My dad, who is a healthy 90, has a very hard time filling the DEF on his 12 Duramax. Not sure if the '15 is the same, but the engineers that designed the system never planned to use it themselves. He uses a soda bottle to put DEF in his. Hopefully someone will respond that has a good idea.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #5

I am 73 years old, and do not have a great deal of difficulty filling my 2011 Duramax with DEF. I carry a tire step http://www.amazon.com/Heininger-4040-HitchMate-TireStep/dp/B0002Z9KE0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428502778&sr=8-1&keywords=truck+wheel+step to get me high enough so that I can hold the box at chest height, instead of at head height. This worked even while I was recovering from a torn rotator cuff.

The easiest, and also the least expensive way to fill is to use the DEF nozzle at the diesel pumps at most large truck stops.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:50 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
Now I know why you asked. DEF is just urea and water. No real harm if you get some on your hands. I guess you just need to find a smaller container.

How about a battery water fill jug....it has a valve.
$12 on ebay.

Dan
Old 04-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #7

It is less money in the 2.5 gal containers but if that is too heavy a gallon is available. Nothing wrong with transferring to smaller container but be sure to keep trash out of it. Could clog injector. I'm 5'9", 58 years young and have no problems at all with 2.5 gal container. All one has to do is lift it and rest it on motor. Insert nozzle in tube and lean bottle.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #8

What a bunch a bull hooooy.... who ever invented the def system should have his head soaked in urea!
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
What a bunch a bull hooooy.... who ever invented the def system should have his head soaked in urea!
The EPA has mandated a maximum allowable emission level for NOx. So far, every diesel vehicle that complies, uses DEF injection. Since you are so critical, I assume that you must know of a better method. Would you care to share?

Joel
Old 04-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
The EPA has mandated a maximum allowable emission level for NOx. So far, every diesel vehicle that complies, uses DEF injection. Since you are so critical, I assume that you must know of a better method. Would you care to share?
Joel
Joel
IMO, one "better method" would be to be satisfied with an older coach.

Nobody HAS TO buy a coach that uses DEF.
(There are a lot of nice diesel coaches for sale which use no DEF).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post

Joel
Now that all the def infrastructure is in place they will mandate some other silly system I bet. You sir made a mistake assuming I know of a better system. Ask a treehugger. I just know that using def is an unreasonable burden to put on us. Our 08 coach does not require def so I think I might hang on to it a little longer.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Joel
IMO, one "better method" would be to be satisfied with an older coach.

Nobody HAS TO buy a coach that uses DEF.
(There are a lot of nice diesel coaches for sale which use no DEF).
Mel
'96 Safari
Eventually. all of the old coaches that don't use DEF will wear out. Then what?
Old 04-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Now that all the def infrastructure is in place they will mandate some other silly system I bet. You sir made a mistake assuming I know of a better system. Ask a treehugger. I just know that using def is an unreasonable burden to put on us. Our 08 coach does not require def so I think I might hang on to it a little longer.
Being a critic is easy. Thinking up some innovative, better solution is difficult, if not impossible.

I'm sorry if you think that def is an unreasonable burden. I have no doubt that people who suffer from ahsma think that diesel engines dumping huge quantities of pollutants into the atmosphere is an unreasonable burden. I tend to agree with them.

Joel
Old 04-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #14

Harbor freight has a plastic transfer pump, less than ten dollars stick the hose in and pull push the plunger. I bought one and use it frequently for anti freeze, brake fluid, motor oil etc works great.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote