Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:03 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
k & n filter ?

have a 04 duramax lly getting ready to change air filter just like to know is it worth the money to go to the k & n filter ?
safe travels bob linda & missy
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:59 AM   #2
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by new rver View Post
have a 04 duramax lly getting ready to change air filter just like to know is it worth the money to go to the k & n filter ?
safe travels bob linda & missy
In a word, NO.

-Yes, they are cleanable, but that cleaning kit is about $10+/- (and messy with solvents that need to be used and disposed of afterwards - soap and water will not clean them plus, they need to dry for hours to days, depending on atmospheric conditions)
-Unless you are running at full throttle any additional pass through air is not measurable.
-They do not inlet clean air as well as dry paper filters until they have been used for quite a few miles and partially loaded up with dust
-Their cost is what 3-4 standard dry filters will run
-Mass air flow wires tend to get fouled with carry over oil - and cleaning or replacing that little gadget, lots of $$$

There are those that love 'em and folks like me who have used them and found that they are not worth the premium cost for mostly a "perceived" benefit on a daily driver/utility vehicle (like your truck). If I were driving a race car, and at WOT most of the time, I would then use a K&N
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
In a word, NO.

-Yes, they are cleanable, but that cleaning kit is about $10+/- (and messy with solvents that need to be used and disposed of afterwards - soap and water will not clean them plus, they need to dry for hours to days, depending on atmospheric conditions)
-Unless you are running at full throttle any additional pass through air is not measurable.
-They do not inlet clean air as well as dry paper filters until they have been used for quite a few miles and partially loaded up with dust
-Their cost is what 3-4 standard dry filters will run
-Mass air flow wires tend to get fouled with carry over oil - and cleaning or replacing that little gadget, lots of $$$

There are those that love 'em and folks like me who have used them and found that they are not worth the premium cost for mostly a "perceived" benefit on a daily driver/utility vehicle (like your truck). If I were driving a race car, and at WOT most of the time, I would then use a K&N

I have read the post on the internet about K&N and other type of air filters letting more dirt into the engine than conventional paper filters. I have been running an K&N on a 2003 PT Cruiser turbo since new with no issues. While it is less restrictive it is an wet fiter while the OEM is a dry filter. Read this test it is one that i know is independant

1.The cleaing kit I bought was good for several cleanings. You rinse the filter with water.

2. engine are air compressors, the more air that gets in the more power created.

3. look at this
Filtration Testing for Amsoil, K&N, Napa, Jackson Racing, Baldwin, and Mazda air filters on a Miata

4. True but they never need replacing. Clean and reuse

5. Several friends with different applications use them without problem. When cleaning follow the directions about oiling the filter.

K&N Air Filter Cleaning Instructions
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #4

I had a K&N filter on our 2001 8.1 gas engine. Looking into the intake after the air filter there was lots of dirt. I had it cleaned and back to the orginial air filter and same on our 05 duramax.
chevman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small alpenlite.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	8219  
Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
HERE is the comparison test referred to previously. I would suggest that you peruse and draw your own conclusions.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #6

As the link in Ironmans #3 bullet clearly states, a K&N air filter gets poor ratings for dirt filtration. That reinforces the ISO test results from the link Rusty provided.
The bottom line, however, is to use what you wish based on your preferences.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #7

Smile K & N

Don't waste you money stay with OEM or quality paper air filter. Do your
research pro's and con's on the line first before making your choice.
Albert001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Haveing read the posts I agree with everyone.. Just a bit more with some. I had a car and a truck that I put the K N filter in.. What a mess to clean them right, And the added cost;; I say stay with the stock change it regulary, And save your money;; should you buy one ??? NO NO NO;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:15 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
thanks for all the info
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #10

I think you folks are miss informed about the K&N filters for diesel coaches and HD diesel trucks. First of all they are not a oiled type filter. They are dry. They will give you better performance and possibyl some increase in MPG. Chekout the K&N website and look for the HD type filters. They have several styles and they are direct replacements for OEM units. I had one in another coach and I definitely noticed a difference......Check them out!
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been there, done that. Total waste of money as far as I'm concerned.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
Kip

I use the AFE prodry no oil just use some air and blow it out.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raca-roni View Post
I think you folks are miss informed about the K&N filters for diesel coaches and HD diesel trucks. First of all they are not a oiled type filter. They are dry. They will give you better performance and possibyl some increase in MPG. Chekout the K&N website and look for the HD type filters. They have several styles and they are direct replacements for OEM units. I had one in another coach and I definitely noticed a difference......Check them out!
I hesitated to say anything before, but thinking about it a few days I have to say it. If the only thing you changed in the complete air intake system was to the K&N air filter and noticed improved air flow. The only way to accomplish the improvement was due to less restriction=larger more open filter media=increased dirt/dust throughput. Unless the laws of physics have changed and I failed to notice.
This is the Duramax board, no mention of the OP having a MH or HDT.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put a K&N Filter on my F-250 460cid. I also put on on my E-450 RV. Also put one on my wife's van.
I made a trip up Dead Mans Summit in the Sierras, my F-250 acted like it was starving for air.

A couple of weeks later we drove our 26Q over the same route. The V-10 motor seemed to bog down, I have since gone back to OEM filters both the RV and my F-250 now both run great and not like they are starving for air.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote