RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
Why replace all 8 of only 2 are bad? He is just going to sell the good used ones. I see them for sale all the time.
On an LB7 they have to pull the valve covers off to get to them, which is labor intensive.

UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect
On an LB7 they have to pull the valve covers off to get to them, which is labor intensive.
In addition to what UsualSuspect said, the original LB7 injectors where poorly manufactured using steel rather then stainless steel components. This was corrected in 2004 1/2. Because of this GM extended the warranty on the injectors, but mine lasted until the extended warranty expired. This is an expensive job, pulling the valve covers off to get to the injectors. I only want to do this one time. If I replaced just the two bad injectors, in another year or so, the others would also start to fail.

Mike

2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:47 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
wrap up

Today, I picked up my 2003 Silverado 2500HD with the LLY Duramax from MaxdOut Diesel in Virginia. MaxedOut replaced the 8 injectors with GM (Bosch) Injectors, reset the injector cups, adjusted the valves, installed the transfer case pump wear kit, replaced the Allison transmission's internal filter, and flushed the power steering system. Very happy with how the truck runs, no more exhaust "hazing" at idle, and the engine is much quieter on the highway (attributed to adjusting the valves). All the work was completed for $4K. Very happy with the quality of the work. Thanks everyone for your advice, especially the advice to install the transfer case pump wear kit, my transfer case needed it!! Now I am ready to put the next 110K miles on this truck.

Mike
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:25 AM   #32

Like having a new truck eh?....Now I need someone to replace my rockers and cab corners....dang road salt............
Old 05-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #33

Quick note....10,000 miles and it's running great. However, I highly recommend changing out the water pump when the injectors are getting done since it's right there. I had asked my Mech about that when he was doing my injectors and he said that the WP should be good for 200K....so I didn't have him change it. Yep, it made it to 110,000 miles and it just got changed.........
Old 08-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #34

My first set went at 60k, done under warranty. My second set went at 95K, cost me $5,000. My 3rd set went at 125K, cost me $5000 and I traded the the truck in. As it s11 hours labor, they advise changing all 8. Some say if you install a lift pump like a FASS it helps as part of the issue is poor filtration. I decide to get as Dodge (5.9), not because i like them, i loved the chevy & its tranny, but a cummins engine is a lot easier & simpler to work on.

I had the merchant auto pump rub kit done at around 70k, the problem had not started

telcoman is offline   Reply With Quote