Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #1

Recently I've noticed the on pump warning... (this)Low ash fuel should not be used on 2007 or newer engines. Also mentions using this fuel may ruin engine????? Is this true? why? and where do I buy diesel fuel then?

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #2

Recently I've noticed the on pump warning... (this)Low ash fuel should not be used on 2007 or newer engines. Also mentions using this fuel may ruin engine????? Is this true? why? and where do I buy diesel fuel then?

Old 01-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #3

Diesel engines manufactured after 1-1-07 are equipped with diesel particulate filters which trap diesel particulates in the exhaust.

They are designed to run Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel (ULSD) which has 15ppm Sulfer. Low Sulfer Diesel (LSD) has 500 ppm sulfer, and can damage the dpf's.

I am not familiar with the equipment on GM diesel engines. I would advise you to call the GM tech line to ask the question regarding your specific engine.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:26 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply Pusherman. Explained that way I realize my 07, manufactured in 06, dosen't have the same system. The way I understand it, the ULSD engines burn off excess diesel fuel in the exhaust system(huge exhaust pipes) rather than pump it into the atmosphere. I was worried I was harming my engine but not so. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brad03ca:
The way I understand it, the ULSD engines burn off excess diesel fuel in the exhaust system(huge exhaust pipes) rather than pump it into the atmosphere. I was worried I was harming my engine but not so. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no such thing as excess diesel fuel. The ECM precisely calculates the amount of fuel needed and it is injected into engine cylinder and burned.

The new diesel particulate filter may from time to time need some added heat to regenerate the filter and this is done by adding minute droplets of fuel in the exhaust stream of the turbo. These minute droplets burn in filter and never see the exhaust stream post filter.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #6

ULSD will not harm the engine, rather it will ruin the particulate filter with continued use. In an emergency you can get by with using a few gallons of LSD fuel without permanently ruining the DPF, but it may shorten it's useful life.
For more information about USLD and diesel engines, visit: Exxon.com and drill down to the diesel fuel FAQ page. Better yet, run an internet search for ULSD.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:05 AM   #7

Just to add some clarification to this thread, the latest version of the Duramax (LMM) uses an exhaust filter that traps particulate matter, or soot, which is generated during the diesel combustion process.

When the ECM calculates that the percentage of soot has reached a certain level, the system begins a regeneration process to incinerate the soot that is in the filter. This is done by altering the amount of fuel injected into the cylinders, changing the incoming air rate and closing the turbo vanes among other things to dramatically increase the exhaust temperature. Once regeneration is complete, the ECM begins to monitor the "Soot Model" again until another regeneration is needed. Eventually, the filter will become full of incinerated soot and need to be replaced.

Now, in order to prevent permanent damage to the exhaust filter, these engines should be run on ULSD fuel (15 ppm or less) and use low ash, CJ-4, engine oil.

So, Brad, it sounds like you have a GMC Sierra "Classic" with the LBZ engine that doesn't require the special fuel and oil.
Mr. Goodwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #8

Correct goodwrench and Thanks. Being a new diesel owner, I saw these pump warnings and panicked. Now I know things are OK I can relax.

Is it just me...or are these trucks super fast. They sound like a truck but go like a race car..... Yeha!

Old 02-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #9

I should have added a link to the website explaining this entire subject and the 1-1-07 date. The exact regulation clearly states "all 2007 model year engines". It is perfectly fine to burn S15(ULSD) fuel in a carry-over 2006 engine in a 2007 vehicle(existing stock only).
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote