Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #1

My under-hood repair.

Today my serpentine belt broke, not by itself though. The idler pulley just below, and slightly right of the tension pulley froze. It burned the belt halfway through as it continued to spin. Finally the belt gave up. I had been hearing a buzzing noise off and on for a few days, looked under the hood at the belt and it appeared OK.
The belt had age cracks in it upon close inspection, so it likely would have failed soon anyway.
I am comfortable with this incident, as the truck is 10 years old, with 108,xxx miles.

This is the first "normal" repair the truck has required.
The injectors were replaced last year, they are a known issue with the first engine model (LB7), 2001-2004.5.
I would love to buy a new dually 4x4, CC, LB, D'max/Allison, but this one will outlast my remaining driving years., and is a good match to our 15,500# GVW 5er.

So, if you hear a faint buzzing noise from the engine compartment, check that the idler pulleys are spinning free; also check the belt for faults- since you will have it removed anyway.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2011, 05:40 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What kind of truck is it? What engine?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #3

Sorry Arch, I assumed everyone would know from the board title. It is a Duramax engine. The idler pulleys are all the same as far as I know, regardless of whether it's a GMC or Chevy, mine is an 02 but the same engine powers all 2001-2004.5 (LB7). Every engine has idler pulleys, so they bear checking once in a while. I waited until it broke the serpentine belt ( $ 76).
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
we have a 96 gas and couldn't get a squeaking noise to stop.change serpenten belt still no luck than same thing idler pully on top froze up.
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #5

change idlers when changing belts....or visa versa...seems to be the new way with these high tension cheapy tensioners
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283
change idlers when changing belts....or visa versa...seems to be the new way with these high tension cheapy tensioners
I have an 05 lly with 217,000km on it and just replace the idlers,tensioner and belt due to a seized pulley. It was relatively easy and inexpensive. $225 in parts and about 45 minutes, plus the time I spent on google looking up the steps.

Dealer wanted over $600 to do this job. Booooo.

Yeah google.
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair