Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
My 06 Duramax seems to getting a little warm when pulling up the mountains. It ususally runs just below 210 degrees, it went up to the 3/4 mark on the guage. After I hit the crest it cools quickly back to where it usually runs.I had a 03 Durmax and it never moved on the hills towing the same fiver. Anybody had this happen to them? I got a apointment with the dealer Tuesday, not for just this but some maintance.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
My 06 Duramax seems to getting a little warm when pulling up the mountains. It ususally runs just below 210 degrees, it went up to the 3/4 mark on the guage. After I hit the crest it cools quickly back to where it usually runs.I had a 03 Durmax and it never moved on the hills towing the same fiver. Anybody had this happen to them? I got a apointment with the dealer Tuesday, not for just this but some maintance.
Tom
Old 10-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #3

Sounds like a local epidemic. Someone else in your area is having the same problem. MYTIME
DURACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:57 AM   #4

What motor do you have? LLY is really common to over heat. As I remember the LLY was still in the early production 06 trucks. If so, the dealer will not be able to fix it. GM still does not acknowledge that there is a problem with the LLY. Go over to the diesel place, grab a LARGE cup of coffee and settle in for a long read on the problems with the LLY Duramax. My solution for overheating? trade it for a Dodge Cummins!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Tom

Changing brands is not always the answer. Albeit not applicable, mine was a `02 (thus not an LLY) but never had an issue. Head on over to the diesel place and have a read thru the posts there. Let us know how you make out.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:06 AM   #6

there was two differnt motors in the 2006 model year is yours a LLY or LBZ ?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:50 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Mine is an '06 with the LBZ; I've never had any problems with overheating and I've pulled some steep grades with a heavy trailer in hot weather. (Knock on wood).
Old 10-15-2007, 03:23 PM   #8

Check the coolant level. As I remember the Duramax has some specific burping instructions to be sure there is no air bubbles in the system.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:17 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I took it in and they added about 1/2 gal of coolant. It looked full to me. It is the LBZ engine. I never seen it run that warm before. This is my second Durmax the first was a 03 and I never saw it move above were it normally runs.
Tom
Old 04-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I guess it was a little low on coolant as on this trip no heating problems. When we leave Texas we are going back through the mountains of North Carolina. I thought that the tank was a expansion tank and it did have coolant in it maybe not full but it did not look low either, but I quess that what they pay Mr. Goodwrench for.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #11

Our 06' LBZ will many times hit 226 to 230 before the fan goes into OD and it takes a while for it to cool down even after I back off some----extremely concerning. This is with our Edge with Attitude in stock mode (temps set to alarm at 220 degrees, nice feature; all other monitoring can be set to alarm as wanted also). High Egt's and air temps will happen before the water temp gets to the scary numbers. I've been looking for good answers for lowering all that nasty heat for some time now, with no clear cut solutions as yet. Oh yeah; poking along will do it, but I just can't stand to be passed burros and bicyclists; especially since I'm always more than ready to get to that perfect camp site in the mountains.
rrraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #12

Research the TD-EOC your problem should be solved. Larry Barnhart
Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote