RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:08 PM   #15

Congrats, You'll like it.

J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 10:41 PM   #16

You can also get the 3500 in a one ton. That's the big difference.

FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:36 PM   #17

Regarding GM trucks:

The 3500 DRW actually has a slightly lower towing rating than the 2500 SRW in similar configuration, because the heavier weight of the DRW reduces the trailer weight allowance. The 3500 SRW will ride a little stiffer due to the extra rear leaf spring, but you won't notice it while towing a TT. The DRW (3500 only) is most useful if you have a fiver, simply for stability.

Also, a 6.6 foot bed is available in the 2500, but not in the 3500.

Stand by for the new 4500 8 foot bed DRW Powerstroke killer!
austingta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeirlessr View Post
I have bit the bullet and bought a Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500 HD with the turbo Duramax. I considered the 3500 but I don't expect I'd be pulling anything much heavier than the 5er I have now. Plus the $14,000 discount I got on a new 2016 helped with the decision.
We have a 2015 LTZ like yours I guess,,, 4x4, short bed, (6'4") crew cab... The duramax handles our 10K 5vr like a dream !!!! For what its worth, been driving a truck for a living off and on for 37 yrs. Our older class A (with several suspension mods) would wear me out... This new Chevy and 5vr,,, Love it !!!! Have fun.... Be aware of the normal factory thing,,, give it 500 miles on the truck alone before taking a big trip with the 5vr... I'm sure they are just covering their bets,,, but it says to let the ring and pinions (of the axles) seat in... If you notice a high idle (750 RPM) at a stop light or whatever, it is in regen. No biggy... It will tell you if you need to keep running for a bit. Mine never has yet. Just shut it off when needed after a cool down. It will continue regen next time you run it.
Don't forget to turn your engine brake ON everytime you tow. (or always) On these you need to get up to 45 mph to lock up the torque convertor to make it work. Then it will slow you down to 15 mph before disengaging.
We average 11.9 mpg and I run 70 mph or so when on interstates. (Maxxis tires) MPG goes up alot running 65 or so,,, but I'm still working,,, not retired yet... When I have more time I'll slow down and smell,,,, things....
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #19

Hi Monkey, I have had the Silverado for a month and I'm getting spoiled. I have not taken a long trip but not towing anything I'm getting better MPG than I got with my Toyota Tundra. I have not gone too far yet but I averaged 20.1 MPG with cruise set to 75 MPH for about 40 to 50 miles. I got 20.8 with cruise set at 65.

I did not buy it for better fuel mileage but it is nice. I haven't pulled my 5er yet because it is at the dealer getting some work done before we go to Florida in January. My Tundra got 11.061 MPG doing 60 - 61. My DW and I are retired so we are in no rush. We stay overnight a few times on our way south.

Duane

2016 Crusader 295RST FW

2016 Silverado LTZ 2500 HD d/a
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #20

Hey Duane,
You will LOVE it when you pull out in traffic with your 5vr !!! OR going down hill, on a good highway set your cruise (with exhaust brake on) and you'll never see more than a couple mph difference either way... The Duramax won't be screaming at 4000+ rpms,,, it just says,,,, "no biggy"... This on our big yearly trip out west.... NICE.... DW this year was concerned with Yarnell Hill in AZ,,, a state 2 lane road,,, VERY steep and curvey... 15-25 mph just because of curves... Transmission (for the first time) got up to 'operating temp" ... barely...
On that note,,, look at your front bumper. In the middle , unless they changed it from the 15's, there is a open place where the trans cooler is. I added a billet grill to protect the aluminum cooler. Looks nice. I have heard Ford has the same unprotected cooler, but not sure... Don't want a rock going through there.... It would ruin your day !!!!
Monkey
PS if the pics come through, its before and after.... BULL,,,, I can't beat this system,,, sorry bout the sideways pic,,, its fine here... But you get the idea....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151005_152233.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	506.7 KB
ID:	141583   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161015_105539.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	141584  

Old 10-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #21

Hi Monkey,

I like the looks of the grill protecting the transmission cooler. I'll look into getting one for my truck. DW and I are planning to head out west next year around July or August. We never done it before and have no idea how long we will be gone. We are thinking traveling north and coming back in the south.

Nice looking truck. My truck is a dark metallic grey.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:40 PM   #22

For future reference the most noticeable difference between a 2500HD and a 3500 SRW is that the 3500 has the full floating axles and wider hub bolt circle.

Otherwise the specs are the same (at least they were in 2002!).
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
For future reference the most noticeable difference between a 2500HD and a 3500 SRW is that the 3500 has the full floating axles and wider hub bolt circle.

Otherwise the specs are the same (at least they were in 2002!).
Could be different on Fords or Dodges... The way I've seen, the GM's (now days) use the same axles, brakes, etc... Just an extra leaf on the rear... Tires might be a bit different, a SRW,, but not sure... Never hurts to go "bigger" than "not big enough" ... Personally, we still have room for a bigger 5vr, but at this point we don't want or need it...
Monkey
Old 10-19-2016, 08:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Hi Monkey,

I like the looks of the grill protecting the transmission cooler. I'll look into getting one for my truck. DW and I are planning to head out west next year around July or August. We never done it before and have no idea how long we will be gone. We are thinking traveling north and coming back in the south.

Nice looking truck. My truck is a dark metallic grey.
Thanks very much !!!! I also liked the dark grey... Looks good with some chrome here and there,,, but I'm old school....
I added mud flaps, (expensive but nice looking good quality,) in chanell vent visors, spray in bed liner and clearance (cab) lights... Most of those things are factory options...
Monkey
Old 10-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #25

Hi Monkey,

I took a closer look at your truck and I see you have the LTZ package. Yours is probably more deluxe than mine. I have the Z71 package which is fine. I've had the truck for 5 weeks and still don't know how everything works. What I do know is that I get better fuel mileage than my Tundra did. Without towing I get at least 20.1 at 75, 20.8 at 70 and 24.7 at 65. My Tundra never got past 18.5 doing 65.

I have ordered a grill to protect my transmission cooler. Your truck has a crome grill my truck has a black grill with crome around it so I ordered a black grill to match my existing grill.

I am throughly enjoying my truck.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Hi Monkey,

I took a closer look at your truck and I see you have the LTZ package. Yours is probably more deluxe than mine. I have the Z71 package which is fine. I've had the truck for 5 weeks and still don't know how everything works. What I do know is that I get better fuel mileage than my Tundra did. Without towing I get at least 20.1 at 75, 20.8 at 70 and 24.7 at 65. My Tundra never got past 18.5 doing 65.

I have ordered a grill to protect my transmission cooler. Your truck has a crome grill my truck has a black grill with crome around it so I ordered a black grill to match my existing grill.

I am throughly enjoying my truck.
Hey DJ,
I "built on line" several Chevy trucks, and pretty much always went with the LT as it had everything I wanted for a little less cost.... I looked from OK City to Little Rock AR to Kansas City,,, all points inbetween,,, couldn't find a fricking RED one.... Finally found this one with more bells than I wanted, (or wanted to spend on) but the basics were there. We walked out even after the "sales manager" came out sqaulking (sp?) at us... Before we were home an hour away, they came to our basic numbers.... IF I drive that hour away, I get free services and free tires as long as I own the truck....
As I've said before, this truck handles our 5vr like a dream !!!! I love it !!!!! In stop and go traffic to and from work, (no highway) I get about 15 mpg.. Same as my Grand Cherokee got... And I let it warm up 5+ minutes before driving.... (old school) .... Not too much because of the emisions thing....
Enjoy your truck... I sure do... Get to winter and you won't believe how fast these Duramax's warm up !!!!
Monkey
Old 11-01-2016, 10:39 PM   #27

Chevy owner

Hi DJ,
Congratulations on your new truck. I have had my Chevy 3500 for just over a year and am delighted with the vehicle. This is the first time that I have a diesel with engine brake and have been impressed with the "down hill" control when towing my 10,000 lb 5th wheel. Here in BC (Canada) you don't see many new 2500 trucks as they are considered pleasure vehicles and subject to "luxury" tax whereas 3500 (1 tons) are classed as work trucks and exempt from that tax so in the end the two trucks are about the same price. That is why I have the 3500.
I drive it to work daily and so I am happy to have a SRW model...just easier in the parking lots. We got the "High Country" model as I preferred the look of the interior. Our next RV trip will be in March when we head down to Palm Springs for a month, but before that we will use the 4X4 Chevy to head to the mountains for some skiing. It is good to have a versatile truck.
I must check into getting one of those nice grills for the oil cooler.
Alex
Old 11-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #28

That's true. Everywhere I go with serious mountains I see more Chevy 3500HD than anything else. Great trucks.

FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel