Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #29

I use Amsoil in everything and am very happy with it.I have it in two trucks 1995 3500 dually 183000 miles and a 2006 2500HD 73000 miles used for towing fifth wheel
heybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #30

I run Mobil delvac 1300 super 15w-40 and change every 6500 miles on my 2008 duramax
kbaerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #31

06 lbz cc 4x4 298,000 miles delo 15/40 every 8-10,000 miles. lot of heavy towing miles. 01 had 356,000 when sold and only engine work was injectors, water pump and alternator.
fireman122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #32

I have a 2001 lb7. Bought it with 71k on it. Now has 87K on it. Have used Shell Rotella 5w-40 syn with a k&n oil filter with no oil burn. Change it when dic says so. Trucks my DD.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:11 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
My 07 LBZ just plain old Chevron DELO, 127K and counting. A buddy with an LLY with 256K the clock, same oil I use.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
My 07 LBZ just plain old Chevron DELO, 127K and counting. A buddy with an LLY with 256K the clock, same oil I use.
I use rotella t 15/40. Or thinner in the winter. Got a 06 duramax. 326000 miles on this 3/4 ton pickup. Chev. Never touched it yet. Change oil every 10000 miles or whenever my truck tells me to. Best truck I ever owned and plenty of power and 18 mpg at 75 mph. And 23 at 60 mph. , pulls everything I own. Including all our const. Equipment. But I use rotella t in everything I own, gas cars, motorcycles, semi trucks, gravel trucks, motorhome cat engine, and evenin our skid steers, telehandlers, and everything. Best oil I ever used. But I always, always change the filters,too.

So I guess if you want to know. From experience. Use rotella t for everything. I do use rotella syn. In my Honda trikes, and Cadillac car. On
Y cause they call for synthetic.

Good luck. Never any engine troubles..even in our lawn equipment.

And lots of times you can get it on sale. I buy ten cases at a time soi watch for the sales.. None of our pickups,or anything we own burns oil... Geeze I wonder why... Because we use darn good oil...
Mrbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #35

I have a 2006 Chevy 2500HD with the DuraMax and Allison. It has 155,000 miles. It has the BANKS Airbox, and Monster Exhaust, I was using an Edge Products EEC1000 Chip - set at ECONOMY, but I removed it and returned the system to stock. The reason for removal is that this unit is not CARB approved, and I couldn't get it smogged to comply with CA law. I am now experiencing excessive soot buildup at the tailpipe and degraded fuel mileage - average about 5MPG less than before. I have always used Rotella T6 Synthetic 5-40W which meets all of GM's requirements. I am wondering if I should continue the Synthetic or go back to Dino 15-40 oil. I have no codes on the DIC.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #36

Rotella 15w40 in my 2009 Silverado Duramax. 74,000 miles.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #37

Sixxgunscott, did you have your ecm reflashed after you took the chip out? If not that may be where your soot issue is coming from. If you just unplugged the ecm may think the truck still needs all the extra fuel. Also is it just an airbox or a cold air intake? If the latter then the maf sensor may be sensing extra air and sending too much fuel too compensate. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
Sixxgunscott, did you have your ecm reflashed after you took the chip out? If not that may be where your soot issue is coming from. If you just unplugged the ecm may think the truck still needs all the extra fuel. Also is it just an airbox or a cold air intake? If the latter then the maf sensor may be sensing extra air and sending too much fuel too compensate. Just my 2 cents.
Airmech, The Edge Products chip has a return to stock mode, which I ran so the ECM should be in that mode. I have the Banks Cold Air Intake airbox. I cleaned the MAF sensor, with the proper NAPA solvent. Since I posted my question, I had a GM factory test unit plugged into the OBDII. No codes or other issues were found. If as you mention, the MAF sensor is sensing too much air, how could one compensate for it?
Old 12-29-2015, 05:19 AM   #39

I've been having issues with my lb7 and it has a k&n cold air intake on it when I purchased the truck. In my research for an answer I came across info about the cold air intake being installed allowing more air in but if not tuned then a lean condition results. If you just have the box only and factory intake tube that shouldn't matter much. If you have access to a scanner you can look at your flow rates. Worse comes to worse you may have to get the ecm reflashed. I'm fighting problems with no codes too and it's no fun. Hope you can get your troubles worked out soon.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #40

My Banks Cold air system begins with their airbox and air tubes, past the stock MAF sensor all the way to the engine. The test equip was a GM Tech II, with CANDI module attached. The retired GM Chevy Tech said he did not see anything unusual. He also said that he felt the mileage I am getting is on the lower side of acceptable, and that my year LBZ engines do have black tail pipes.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #41

OK so you have a cold air intake and its fully possible that the maf is adding more fuel than is needed. That could be causing your lower fuel economy as well. It's just a theory. I'm on the hunt for a oem air intake for my truck but an 01 intake is hard to come by.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #42

Thanks Airmech. I will call Banks and get their feedback. FYI: they have a Ram Air Intake for the '01 LB7. Will post if I get anything useful.