Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #1

06 for an 08 powerstroke?

We currently own a 06 SRW 350 diesel and it's got 59 k on it, runs great so far. We are thinking of trading for a 08 Dually with 10800 mile king ranch, beautiful automobile. What's better or worse with the 6.0 vs the 6.4 that's on the 08 's. I have heard the newer ones are harder on fuels this true Any thoughts?
Rhodenhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would keep the 6.0, it is a good motor if not abused. Has a history of blowing head gaskets if a programmer is used. The 08 6.4 has way to many exhaust system issues. Along with that, very poor fuel mileage.
Dirtbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #3

I don't know whether the 6.0 or the 6.4 is better, but you really need to think about the emmissions component. First of all, the fuel mileage is not good, I get 12.5 mixed with my 09 F350 Crew/Long/4x4 Single Rear Wheel. My 06 Dodge Cummins quad/long/4x2 SRW got 17 mixed.

The regeneration will require you to head out to the highway and drive for about 15-20 miles to complete the process, leading to unnecessary driving, while using more fuel to do so, so it makes the overall fuel equasion lower than the 12.5 because you are doing unnecessary driving you otherwise would not.

This truck will be my last diesel.

The fumes generated during regeneration are noxious, and can't be healthy. If I had it to do over, I would have opted for the V10. Good luck.

Gman
Grodyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #4

Avoid any of the newer trucks with DPF systems, the federal government has ruined the light truck diesel market for the time being. They all have suffered from poor fuel economy and issues. Dodge trucks with the Cummins engine in particular have had major problems.

Sure, the newer trucks with 350hp and 750+ft/lbs sound great. But who really needs this much power to haul a travel trailer or better yet, run around solo? Long story short, run, don't walk, back to your old truck and apologize for even thinking of doing this.
Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman 1 View Post
Dodge trucks with the Cummins engine in particular have had major problems.
Would you care to articulate any specifics? There are no major problems being reported by the owners of the later 6.7s - my truck has had exactly 0 warranty issues. In fact, according to Cummins engineers interviewed at the Chicago Auto Show where the 350/800 version of the Cummins 6.7 was introduced:

Quote:
In relation to the engine I asked extensively about the teething issues that were had with the 6.7L engine related to the emissions systems. I was told that these issues have been corrected and they are seeing very minimal warranty related issues at this point. As a matter of fact the last half year production of the 5.9L engine in 2007 had achieved Cummins highest ratings from Dodge ever when it came to customer problems. The 6.7L engine has been meeting or exceeding those ratings since 2009.
Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:38 AM   #6

I think he is refering to the older 6.7. 2007, & 2008 year models. My brother in law had a 2008 dodge that he used on his cattle ranch, he kept that truck less than a year( he bought it new) the truck would just quit running, it was in the shop tooo many times, ( lemon law) dodge bought the truck back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Would you care to articulate any specifics? There are no major problems being reported by the owners of the later 6.7s - my truck has had exactly 0 warranty issues. In fact, according to Cummins engineers interviewed at the Chicago Auto Show where the 350/800 version of the Cummins 6.7 was introduced:

Rusty
aspeyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeyrer View Post
I think he is refering to the older 6.7. 2007, & 2008 year models. My brother in law had a 2008 dodge that he used on his cattle ranch, he kept that truck less than a year( he bought it new) the truck would just quit running, it was in the shop tooo many times, ( lemon law) dodge bought the truck back.
One of the nice things about iRV2 is that our Community Rules don't allow brand wars, and I certainly don't intend to start or participate in one, but let's be realistic for a moment. Do you REALLY want to open the subject of lemon law buybacks on a thread dealing with the 6.0L Powerstrokes?

Rusty
Old 04-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #8

Rusty, come on! I was only using my brother in laws dodge as a example! not trying to start any brand war, If you do a search you will find lots of complaints and buy back, lemon laws, on the dodges and the ford 6.0. Lets talk straight for a minute: these diesel engines have sooo much EPA emmissions crap on them, its the emissions crap that has caused all of the problems. Why does everyone rave about fords 7.3? cause its sooo reliable. why is it sooo reliable? cause there is ZERO emissions crap on that engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
One of the nice things about iRV2 is that our Community Rules don't allow brand wars, and I certainly don't intend to start or participate in one, but let's be realistic for a moment. Do you REALLY want to open the subject of lemon law buybacks on a thread dealing with the 6.0L Powerstrokes?

Rusty
aspeyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Yep, the 7.3 was a good engine - so was the 5.9L Cummins. Unfortunately, neither meets 2010 on-highway diesel engine emissions standards - that's reality. Yes, there was a teething period for all of the diesel engine manufacturers, but the important factor for a potential truck purchaser is to look where their products are today, not 4 years ago. In the case of the early 6.7L Cummins, they went through numerous reflashes as field experience built up and the engineers learned more and more about real world performance of these complex emissions systems. An early 6.7L Cummins that's current on those reflashes really doesn't compare to the original engine as it was introduced. For a specific example, continuing to quote from the interview with the Cummins engineers:

Quote:
They related a couple of stories of specific customers which I think you would find interesting. One was a postal delivery person and drove his truck for 8 hours a day at 6 mph from the right seat and never touched the throttle. He simply idled the truck all day. The call came into the STAR center and they flew Cummins engineers to the dealership to analyze the issues and were able to resolve them. It was individual customer situations such as this that were out of the scope of what they anticipated customers doing with their trucks and them analyzing those situations and coming up with solutions that allowed them to incrementally improve the software over time.

Another customer was a commercial hauler that purchased an '07 6.7L engine. He put 110,000 miles on his truck in the first year and when they learned about this started talking regularly to this customer. At 280,000 miles they had him come to Columbus and they replaced his engine so that they could extensively test and disassemble his engine to see how it was doing. They tested his engine at CMEP and it passed all of the tests that brand new engines have to pass. They disassembled the engine and found no issues and took pictures of the parts.
By and large, the situation described above reflected the operating profile of the early 6.7L engines that developed sooting/regeneration problems. Not only postal carriers, but farmers and ranchers who would idle their trucks through the fields and pastures for extended periods experienced far more problems than the 5th wheel or gooseneck towers who put their trucks on the road and worked them hard whenever they were running.

Rusty