Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #1

2002 Power stroke glow plug issues

I have a 2002 power stroke 7.3. I live in an area where the temps get below freezing about 3 months out of the year. Every two years when the temps start getting below 40 degrees the motor becomes hard to start until the temps even get colder and then It won't start. If I plug the block heater in it always starts because its warm. I have had the glow plug system replaced 3 times now in the past 6 years. The glow plug wiring is in the valve cover gasket and gets hot and starts drawing more and more current as it gets older and this puts a strain on the glow plugs and glow plug relay (50 amps) to the point where all need replacing along with the fuel plate heater. I'm sick of it but don't know of a permanent fix. I have been considering putting a switch on the dash that could turn off the glow plug relay system during the warm months to try and extend the life of the glow plugs and wiring. Does any body out there have this problem and or a permanent fix for it.
2000 Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000 Damon View Post
I have a 2002 power stroke 7.3. I live in an area where the temps get below freezing about 3 months out of the year. Every two years when the temps start getting below 40 degrees the motor becomes hard to start until the temps even get colder and then It won't start. If I plug the block heater in it always starts because its warm. Does any body out there have this problem and or a permanent fix for it
2000 Damon
Why not simply USE your block heater?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #3

If I'm camping, snowmobiling for the day or somewhere with no power I don't have that ability unless I drug a generator around with me. Then I would have to worry about theft when I'm gone, the rewarming time it would take when I got back, or the cost of leaving the generator running while gone.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2000 super duty 7.3 and never replace a glow plug. I have to replace the glow plug relay twice in ten years I have owned it. I have many plow trucks I service with same results. Have you done this repair work or did you have it done? If the wiring harness is what is causing your issue it would not take out the glow plugs, if all the resistance is in the wire nothing would get to the plow plugs. If your harnesses are failing under the valve cover (in the oil) then I would question the oil it self. It would either be cheep oil or extended intervals.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:13 AM   #5

Repairs were done at the ford dealership. I use synthetic oil and change it between 3 and 4 thousand miles. Does your stroke have a wiring harness in the valve cover gasket?
Old 12-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #6

I avoid Ford dealerships in favor of a really good independent diesel repair facility with extensive PowerStroke experience. My pocketbook thanks me.

Starting problems can often masquerade themselves as other issues. They can be injector and fuel pump bleed downs, too.

All diesel parts are terribly expensive to buy, which means 100% correct problem diagnosis is required. You cannot just throw parts to the problem hoping it'll be solved.

When I have diesel engine questions, TheDieselStop.com is the place to go. These are high tech animals, and the real experts are monitoring that website.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #7

I second the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com as the way to find the experts...having said that, I have a 2000 F250 7.3 and have done most of my own work since I have owned it. I replaced 2 original glow plug relays as they wore out in a couple years - I got tired of replacing them and got a heavy duty relay that is still in the truck doing it's job.

Mine gets hard to start around 15° - if I have failed to plug it in (dammit!) it will not start on the first go, but if I cycle the glow plugs a couple times it will start, but if plugged in, it starts just as if it was warm. I have never replaced a glow plug...either the relay dies or the batteries are pooed out.

If you replaced the glow plug system 3 times, I'd suggest finding another mechanic!

And yes, the glow plug wiring is under the valve covers.

On the dieselstop my screen name is the Maroon Harpoon - look for the article "Harpoon Your Tank and Fill It Fast" - one of my contributions to the 'stroke group'.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Mine, like all, have the valve cover harness.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #9

My 2003 engine is one of the last 7.3's made, and it's been a great engine at 120K miles. But I have a cold start problem if I let it sit a few days.

I've replaced the fuel filter, glow plug relay, IPR and Injection Module. They didn't help my cold start problem. I took it to an independent diesel shop, and it's also stumped them. They scoped the engine and said it's running perfectly--and the glow plugs work correctly.

I changed the fuel pump last week, and it helped starting a little--but not completely.

It sounds as if an injector is letting the fuel pressure bleed down. I would have to get a good used injector and change one injector per day until the problem goes away.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:42 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
But I have a cold start problem if I let it sit a few days.

I've replaced the fuel filter, glow plug relay, IPR and Injection Module. They didn't help my cold start problem. I took it to an independent diesel shop, and it's also stumped them. They scoped the engine and said it's running perfectly--and the glow plugs work correctly.

I changed the fuel pump last week, and it helped starting a little--but not completely.

It sounds as if an injector is letting the fuel pressure bleed down. I would have to get a good used injector and change one injector per day until the problem goes away.
You've been having that cold start issue for a while now. Doesn't sound like your getting your answer from forums. Probably time to start spending money at that super diesel shop you've mentioned.
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #11

How good are your batteries? Watch this video from Powerstroke Help, maybe it will help. He has many other videos on Youtube that are helpful.

Good Luck

Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power