RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #15

The only problem we have had with the Tank is overfiling. I did that in Texas this past winter. Well on our set up first you must use up the main tank or down to a 1/4 before re-fuel. We when I topped the aux off I gave it that extra. Bad choice as we expanded in the heat. Left some fuel in a lot of places, I don't do that any more. My fifty gallon tank kicks back at about 43 gallons. I'm happy with that.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #16

You're right. It seldom pays to be too greedy!

I spoke with the manufacturer of the Northern Tool gravity feed kit (800 292 6898 if anyone is interested). They said the computer on digital dashes thinks something is wrong if the fuel level in the original tank doesn't change in a reasonable amount of time, and gives an error message (Check Engine light). There's nothing really wrong, the computer is just too literal minded to deal with it and petulantly shuts down. Then you have to either pay Ford to reset it at @ $100 or buy a reader and learn how to do it yourself--neither of these options appeal to me much.

However, the kit manufacturer said authoritatively (?) that the computer didn't care which way the fuel level was moving as long as it moved and suggested waiting until the original tank is low and then starting the aux. tank into it, being sure to cut it off before the original tank got full. You can do this by pulling over and using the manual valve on the aux. tank (included in the kit) or buy and hook up a solenoid valve with a switch in the cab so you can do it on the fly without stopping. It makes sense if the sensor doesn't care which way the fuel level is headed and the technician I spoke with seemed totally confident in what he was saying.

That being said, I have quit dithering and added in a Northern Equipment 95 gallon L shaped tank with a 13 gpm electric pump and gas nozzel to refuel manually but am thinking of adding the gravity feed and judiciously experimenting with it. Even if I just turned it on at night when parked and off the next morning before starting up it would have some time and hassle. I just wish I could turn on the gravity feed and forget it until I needed fuel.

Those who have commented on the convenience and economy of an aux. tank are preaching to the choir. I'm with you 110%. Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #17

The 60-gal tank and gravity-feed valve from Northern Tool has NEVER caused me an overflow situation. Even when left overnight to fill the truck tank, you can take the fuel tank cap off and there will not be any fuel in the neck area.
And, again, I have not had a CEL come on with the '09 install--something must have been changed between the earlier Fords and the '08-'09 models computers that doesn't cause the computer to get to wondering why the tank isn't going down?
I will say that you must be vigilant to watch when filling the aux tank, as the fuel level can rise fast enough (especially if using a truck-stop nozzle) to not shut off the flow without a small spill.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #18

We have an 08 and never got a CEL come on. My aux will re-fuel the main tank some times 3 times in a day when traveling. My set-up re-fuels at 1/4 stops at 3/4 tank. You must be running to re-fuel tank. Just wish we got better MPG !!!
Old 08-14-2010, 06:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi154 View Post
We have an 08 and never got a CEL come on. My aux will re-fuel the main tank some times 3 times in a day when traveling. My set-up re-fuels at 1/4 stops at 3/4 tank. You must be running to re-fuel tank. Just wish we got better MPG !!!
Yogi, it sounds like you have a commerically installed tank set up that I have never heard of. What mechanism controls filling only between 1/4 and 3/4 tank?

Also, your setup sounds like it is intended to prevent the CEL from coming on bykeeping fuel levels fluctuating between empty and full so as to keep the computer happy, as the technition suggested per my last post. He told me to do the same thing manually with his gravity feed hookup. I think maybe you have comfirmed what he said and have some mechanism in your setup to do it automatically.

I am very happy to have a confirmation of the fluctuating level trick but would love to know what makes it automatic on your setup as the simple gravity feed I am familiar with requires me to be the fuel control mechanism, watching the gauge and turning the aux. tank on and off manually at a stop.

Any additional info would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #20

Transferflow makes a system that fills automatically.
Joe
Old 08-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #21

My tank is a ATTA from Texas. I had it installed at Classy Chaissis in IN they set up the system with a aux tank gauge. Wasn't cheap, but works great no more searching for fuel.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #22

Yes, they make some nice tanks. FUEL TANKS AND FUEL SYSTEMS

They are in Mansfield, TX, not far from where i live.

Joe