Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #1

30 Gallon Fuel Tank

Well after the Long ride home from the Rally with the stink-in 30 Gallon tank with a Head Wind. The mileage read 7.5 MPG not much mileage with 30 gallon tank. Well we got the alert at 50 miles no problem we were on the Indinana Tollway Right the fuel say's Low Sulfar Fuel not Ultra . I wonder how many times I fueled with the Low durning the week . I know I did it at least once.
Well today I ordered a tool box with a 50 gal tank with an automatic fill feed thing. Installed for $ 1500 plus $ 80 dollars for fuel. We this thing is on order.
We I guess if the truth is told the same thing happened to me on the way home from the Esscapes rally in May . This time we went to a Farmers house for some Red Diesel. But we never ran out of fuel !!!!
We just ran out of guts. The wife didn't want to push the Black Pig with the Cardinal on the back. Well I guess the extra tank was cheap compared to running OUT of FUEL.

Wayne
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2009, 06:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fuel Tank

I added a 70 gal KSH with a small tool box on top, switch on the dash to change tanks, nice to leave with 100 gal total Denny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 Ford 003.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	725  
Old 07-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #3

Coastal Campers
I added a 45 gal tool box/tank.. with the short bed I had to change the locking leaver on my slider to a shorter handle..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0950.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	825  
Old 07-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #4

Well Thanks for the replys

I'm still waiting for the tank/ tool box to come in to the dealer in Valspraso IN. They are a custom truck dealer Classy Chassis . They will remove the rails for the Hitch and spray in a liner add a rear Plug-in Re in-stall the rails and add the tool box with the controls and a gauge for the aux tank.

Wayne
Old 07-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fuel tank

Wayne,
When you get to Classy say hello to Tom for me. I have one of their trucks Bought last sept. My truck has 130 gal of fuel cap. Fuel tank/tool box has 90 in the bed & 40 under. I love all the extra fuel .

George
Old 07-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #6

Well I got the Tank installed this week 50 gallons. The tank has a power switch and fuel gauge. The tank fuels at 1/4 tank and stops fueling at 3/4 tank COOL !!! They also sprayed in a bed liner , installed a Fire Stick for CB and an In Bed Trailer plug. The Boys at Classy Chassis are really a class bunch !!! We are going to Elkhart next week to pick out colors for a New 5th wheeler. Will order new unit on way home. And ofcourse test the Tank.

Wayne
Old 08-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #7

Just got back from a trip to Upper Michigan. Everything went Great. I Love that Tank!! I waited while my friends stopped for fuel, Ok I made a Pit Stop. Now we wait for our New 5th Wheel to be Born. We will be going to a 37 foot Jayco.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #8

With my short bed Ford they put in a 29 gal stock tank. I had the Transfer Flow factory in Chico CA put in a 41 gal replacement tank for me. Feel like a king now with my "big tank". I can still put in a bed tank if I ever feel like I need to roll with almost a 100 gal of juice.
helocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:09 AM   #9

I have an '06 F350 Turbo diesel with the same small stock tank. How to you avoid having the check engine light come on if you fuel with the engine running? I used to leave it running when refueling at a truckstop in the desert to keep the dogs cool but was told at a dealership that that was the reason the check engine light came on (and cost $100 to be turned off- computer reprogram). I spoke to a diesel mechanic at a (different) large Ford dealership who told me that with an aux. tank they had to reprogram the computer but it only worked about 90% of the time.

How do you get around that?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormseeker View Post
I have an '06 F350 Turbo diesel with the same small stock tank. How to you avoid having the check engine light come on if you fuel with the engine running? I used to leave it running when refueling at a truckstop in the desert to keep the dogs cool but was told at a dealership that that was the reason the check engine light came on (and cost $100 to be turned off- computer reprogram). I spoke to a diesel mechanic at a (different) large Ford dealership who told me that with an aux. tank they had to reprogram the computer but it only worked about 90% of the time.

How do you get around that?
If your truck has the OBD2 system you can buy a scan tool, then you can reset the light yourself. I have one, cost me $129.00. Trust me it pays for itself.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
If your truck has the OBD2 system you can buy a scan tool, then you can reset the light yourself. I have one, cost me $129.00. Trust me it pays for itself.
J
Is the light the only thing that happens when you fuel while running? Is there no other computer/mechanical consequence?
Old 07-24-2010, 07:46 AM   #12

Stormseeker,

Wow I have never shut off my truck when fueling. I also have the aux tank and never had an engine light. sorry to hear of your problems.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #13

When I had my '07 with the aux tank, the CEL light would come on sometimes, but most times not. I reset it with a code reader (there was no mechanical/electrical problem ever to show up. In my '09 with the same tank/file setup, no light has ever come on.
Seems to me the computer in the '07 would get confused when I drove more than the original MTE calculation--the CEL light would only come on after a shutdown when going past 400 miles on the tank. Reset it with the reader and it might not happen again for 5-10000 miles.
I doubt that I will ever tow a trailer again without an aux tank--and even when not towing it is a great help on a long solo drive.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #14

YUP - ONLY way to fly!

nearly 90 gallons, and 17 MPG towing our 24 foot KIT 5er - pretty decent range!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote