Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2019, 04:37 PM   #15

I just recently purchased a 2011 F-350 6.7 with 42,000 on her. I knew the original owner who purchased the truck to pull a 5th wheel from Michigan to Florida and that's all it did. He died and the truck became available so I purchased it to also pull a 5th wheel from Michigan to Texas and we are getting ready to embark on our first adventure on Jan 10th. So I didn't have the truck a month and the check engine light came on so I watched it for a day or two and then it went off. No problem right? Well a week later it came on again and then off again and so on and so on. I took the truck to a ford dealer to have them scan the computer and tell me what the problem was, They said that the EGR cooler was plugged and needed to be replaced. Cost $1300.00 and the def tank was also showing alarms in the history suggesting it was beginning to fail with a repair cost of $900.00 I was also told that these trucks will computer disable the truck if the engine light is not addressed within so many miles and I didn't like that. So I looked into a total Def delete with 5 tunes for a cost of $2000.00 and decided to go that route. Mileage has steadily gone up since the delete to about 22Hwy empty and no check engine lights since. As I said getting ready to tow 16,000 down to Texas in another week, I will keep you posted on our success or failure. Additionally, someone else said that these diesels need to be run and I believe he is right, you have to get them up to temperature and breathing like a race horse.
vikingboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2019, 05:02 PM   #16

That's right. Get them to temp and they will purr like a kitten. I'm at 22 empty also, 14 pulling my 9000lb TT through the Carolinas, TN, and GA. I never exceed 65mph. Runs perfect. Zero issues. Runs cool and breathes easy. Ford Master Powerstroke Certified Mechanic deleted DEF and EGR with light tow tune.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:00 PM   #17

I just purchased a 2011 F-350 6.7 with 40,000 and ran into similar problems. While this truck was in perfect condition and I know the original owner who purchased this truck to haul a 5'er from Michigan to Florida my engine light came on shortly after purchasing it. For several weeks this "check engine light" came on and off several times. Long story short I took it into a ford dealer and asked them to hook it up and read the alarm list and I was told the same thing. My EGR cooler was plugged up and needed to be replaced for a cost of $1250.00. At 40,000 miles for gosh sake!!

I did some research and found out that this is a common problem as is many other exhaust problems revolving around the DEF emissions system.This is my first diesel truck and I really didn't know how to deal with this problem and the worst part is that if you don't fix the problem the truck will actually shut down and limit you to 5 mile per hour until it is serviced.

Long story longer, I spoke with some friends more familiar with diesel engines and was guided to a performance diesel company that stripped the entire DEF system off the truck and loaded 5 custom tunes for the motor at a cost of $2000.00.

I have since taken this truck on a cross country journey and have logged these results.

1500 miles logged dragging a 17000 lb 5th wheel

12.5 MPG with the tow tune
21.5 MPG around town with the around town tune and no load.

As with anything I don't know if I made the right decision but I didn't have a warranty to worry about and my check engine light has been out and remained out ever since I did this. A good diesel motor should get several hundred thousand miles without many problems,,,,,I'll let you know in a couple of years if I made the right decision but right now I still only have about 45,000 miles on this truck and it is running great...
vikingboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
OK how did you get that kind of mileage? I'm only getting 13 highway with my 2015 6.7 CCLB SRW, 10 towing a 35ft 5W.
I'm with you. My 2013 F250 is a daily driver and I only get about 15. I don't tow with it but it has 115K and every gallon of diesel has been logged. I got 17 once driving to Dallas non-stop on the freeway.

Before that I had a 2013 DRW and only got 13-14 empty, and 8 towing a 18K 5er.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The engines that have this problem are tootled around town and not worked hard. You talk to a Ford mechanic that knows these engines will tell you that you need to work it. Every once in a while head for the freeway and blow it out ...get the crud out of the engine.

Worst thing to do to a diesel is to NOT work it.

Ken
Worst thing for these Diesel Engines is all this EGR and DEF system crap!
southerndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #20

I purchased my 2011 F350 6.7 in 2014 with 97K, with the ESP. Since then ESP covered a radiator and turbo. After these two components were replaced, I decided to do a delete. 4in straight pipe, SCT tuner containing 4 tunes written by Tyrant tunes. Now, I absolutely love the truck. Early years did have turbo issues, but I truly think the faulty oil and coolant line "quick connect" fittings played a large part in the turbo failures. I also replaced the cold side inter-cooler pipe, added a stand alone EGT display. The truck is at stock height level, but I'm looking to replace the leaf springs with HD spring pack(s) containing 2 additional leaves over stock.
Bottom line, If you're able to do a delete, go ahead and do it, you will not look back.
rcg270 is offline   Reply With Quote