RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:36 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
6.7 EGR cooler clogged

My 2011 F250 went in for a check engine light. The outcome is putting in a new EGR cooler is anyone else had this problem. I am fixing this time but thinking about a full dump of the emissions system.

Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #2

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/for...7-2011-forums/

I have a recently acquired 2011 dually so I'm always interested in these things.
I use the above forum everyday looking at current issues and use the search function for looking at exact problems like you are having. I've had numerous CEL's...glad we purchased the ESP option. Expensive but worth every dime..

I don't see me...at 65...performing any deletes...I can't do serious work on vehicles anymore.
I'm lucky I can still do brakes and wash her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0302.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	136502  

Old 08-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The engines that have this problem are tootled around town and not worked hard. You talk to a Ford mechanic that knows these engines will tell you that you need to work it. Every once in a while head for the freeway and blow it out ...get the crud out of the engine.

Worst thing to do to a diesel is to NOT work it.

Ken
Old 08-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #4

Very informative videos from the pro's:

https://youtu.be/ogjEwzTx1qA

Engine Death:

https://youtu.be/uE812Iw354o
Old 08-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #5
IC2

If you do a delete, just be aware that the Job 1 2011 Fords, built in 2010, with a 6.7 may have a potential valve and then total engine failure. They also have a tender turbo. I've considered a complete delete but mine is a May 2010 build and adding a tuner then pulling off the emissions 'junk' just isn't in the book at 91,000 plus mile (it will be right at 100K at the end of this trip).

Oh and the gent who is 65, I'm a bunch beyond that and still do most of my own work on everything. I wont do 13 quart oil changes though after oiling my driveway down
Old 08-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #6

IC2-
Oh and the gent who is 65, I'm a bunch beyond that and still do most of my own work on everything. I wont do 13 quart oil changes though after oiling my driveway down

Well, it's not all my fault. Arthur Rightis has launched a devastating attack on me but I'm still able to do brakes on the XLR and maintain our three mtcyls...working on BigHips jus' doesn't fit my workload well. I'd want to "cab-off" everytime I'd wanna work on the diesel. I'll get thru it. Thanks for thinking of me.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Have to call the dealer they fixed the EGR and did a Programme update in the trip I took last weekend only got 16.2 mpg have only put on less then 500 miles sense repair and have put in 3 jugs of DEF.
P.S. that 16.2 mpg is on a 210 mile trip without a trailer and all highway around town getting less then 8 mpg.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Got my mileage back this is on the same trip towing a 18 ft dovetail equipment trailer empty notice my set cruise speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1473629225303.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	138668  
Old 10-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #9

I have a 2012 F250 6.7, SD SA Crew-Cab 4x4, It blew a Plastic hose on the "Cold-Side" that goes to the Turbo, That was $550.00 at a Ford dealer, then for the second time, on our way to Dallas, TX, the Low DEF info came on with a 50 .mph limit, in the next 500 miles, But my DEF is full, I always top it off, when I fuel up. This time I went to a company called Truck-Techs, in Texas. Man this company KNOWS its stuff when it comes to Diesels.

They were so thorough, they went over the whole engine compartment with me explaining what was going to happen, Not if, but will, between 80-100K , I was at 104K when all this stuff started happening. So they told me, that I needed to at minimum, replace the DEF pump and sensors, That was the same thing a ford dealer told me last year in Nova Scotia. There quote was for $1,400.00. So after talking some more with Truck-Techs, I decided to have the whole DEF System removed and a Ford Competition Tuner set up, and they set two profiles, one for towing and one for competition.

I Tow a 32' TT and now get 11.5 to 13 MPG towing and 18-20 MPG around town, plus way more power. They were very clear to tell me that I should NEVER use the performance profile when towing, or I could tear up the engine and possibly damage the transmission. Personally, I think this whole DEF system is just a poor engineered band-aid for diesels. I also got three other thing repaired that I was told would go bad.

I'm very Happy with the results, It will pay for some, maybe all of the cost over time, with the mileage savings. I will keep this truck for at least till I get 400k on it.

If anyone is interested in getting this done and lives in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, I highly recommend them, Contact, Fernando, Truck-Techs.
southerndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:19 PM   #10

Well I have a late 2011 6.7l in a 250 Lariat Crew that I had deleted by my local power stroke genius and put in a very mild tow tune. Runs perfect, cool, and clean. These engines are amazing when you let them breathe and don't beat the crap out of them. I didn't delete for power, don't need any more, deleted for longevity and to get rid of the pig piss burner. Gained 100lb of payload capacity to boot. I had a code for the plugged EGR and couldn't see spending my years with the truck dealing with the EGR issues which are recurring, and the DPP and Re-gen crap. Mileage is over 22 without the camper on the highway. I have 85k on it now and am headed to 500k. Love my super duty.
2011 250SD Lariat Crew, 2WD, 6.7L Deleted, 3:73
Husky CenterLine, +/- 50 nights per year.
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevesfamily View Post
Well I have a late 2011 6.7l in a 250 Lariat Crew that I had deleted by my local power stroke genius and put in a very mild tow tune. Runs perfect, cool, and clean. These engines are amazing when you let them breathe and don't beat the crap out of them. I didn't delete for power, don't need any more, deleted for longevity and to get rid of the pig piss burner. Gained 100lb of payload capacity to boot. I had a code for the plugged EGR and couldn't see spending my years with the truck dealing with the EGR issues which are recurring, and the DPP and Re-gen crap. Mileage is over 22 without the camper on the highway. I have 85k on it now and am headed to 500k. Love my super duty.
Are you able to pass emissions? I live in Colorado, they have adopted California emissions standards and are talking about state wide emission tests.
I was considering deleting but have been having second thoughts about it.
AaronColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #12

AaronColo, we don't not have emissions testing in SC. If they ever institute this here I'll just have to reinstall the DEF stuff and unplug the EGR. I don't anticipate this in SC. I deleted to simply take better care of the engine and let the diesel be a diesel, not with any financial, power, or mileage consideration at all - these trucks are already powerful and cost $ to own, so feel good about it regardless. Good luck with yours.
2011 250SD Lariat Crew, 2WD, 6.7L Deleted, 3:73
Husky CenterLine, +/- 50 nights per year.
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronColo View Post
Are you able to pass emissions? I live in Colorado, they have adopted California emissions standards and are talking about state wide emission tests.
I was considering deleting but have been having second thoughts about it.

You may live in CO, the truth is that CA has taken up residence in CO and expect a more complete assimilation very soon...
Old 12-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #14

California, the most over regulated state in the USA, I hate to say it, but that's liberals!

southerndude is offline   Reply With Quote