RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to scottsandy
6.7 Ford Diesel exhaust rust protection

Anyone have any luck rust proofing their 6.7 diesel exhaust?? very high temp(1300 deg) we in the northeast have to contend with calcium chloride on the road and it does a number to our rigs. I can tried every other part with fluid film but not the exhaust system. I mean other than replacing with stainless what do we do??
scott

scottsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 11:56 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Don't drive it with salt on the roads. Look at a seasoned iron skillet. No rust. You could do the same with the iron/steel parts of your exhaust, coat with lard, Crisco, or bacon grease then run the engine to 'burn' the grease off. They should turn black and resist rust. ---it's an old hot rodder's trick.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:00 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
I'm in the same boat. If you find anything, please let me know. I won't put anything on the exhaust in fear of it starting a fire. I've looked up high temperature paint but they only seem to go to 1200 deg. F...

Mookie
mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:19 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to scottsandy
Mookie, I have founf a product called POR-15. only problem is you need to go down to bare metal or it wont stick. they have a rust converter that will "prime" the rust. some have said it is the same as OSPHO. as long as you take the white blush off that forms in humid conditions. POR-15 is good to 1300 deg
which is what my DFL reached when doing a manual regen
I think i am going to try it before heading south this year
scottsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:35 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Very cool!!! Thank you the info, I'll look into that.
Did you undercoat your truck? My 2011 I had it done but haven't done the 2015 yet. I'm just curious on what type of undercoating you used. I used the 3M stuff on the 2011 and seemed to hold up ok.

Mookie
mookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, ford, rust