Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
6.7 PSD Specs

The horsepower and torque specs for the new 6.7 for pickup trucks are 390 and 735 respectively. The same engine in the chassis cab is rated at 300 and 660. Source for these numbers are the latest Ford on-line catalogs found here.

My question is why the difference? Tow ratings seem to have a similar discrepancy also. I've asked this question at two Ford dealerships and don't get much more than a shrug of the shoulders. Almost seems like the pickup numbers are puffed up for competitive purposes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Fleet owners and hotshot drivers (the primary market for C&C trucks) are more interested in long term cost of ownership, not necessarily the highest BHP and torque ratings on the block. As consumers, at what point is enough, enough? My pore ole 350 BHP/650 ft-lb Cummins does everything I need to do (by the way, the same engine in the Dodge C&C is also derated to 305 BHP/610 ft-lb). I guess to a lot of people in the consumer market, ratings and magazine tests sell trucks, though.

To each his/her own.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The only reason I bring this up is that we've had considerable mechanical problems with our current tow vehicle to the point I have little confidence in it. So, I've been window shopping.

Determined that the new F350 4x2 supposedly has about the same fifth wheel towing capacity (20,800 lbs) as my older F450. At least that's what the pickup specs say. When you check the F350 chassis cab version, the number drops to 15,900 lbs. My rig weighs in at 16,500 lbs. Believe the F350 pickup specs and I have a comfortable margin. With the chassis cab specs, I'm overweight.

The new F450 pickup is now nothing more than an F350 with slightly larger brakes and a higher axle ratio and can't be had in a 4x2. And the numbers on that model are just as suspect.

Frankly, I'm just annoyed at the numbers game where calculations seem to be made in the sales dept instead of the engineering area.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #4

Dave ...I tought the same thing so I posted the question on a Ford owners web fourm. The Chassis trucks have a differant Turbo so less Hp and Torque.
I was looking to have an F 550 built with all the bells, including air ride. The problem was the custom builder said they reprogram to 395 Hp. That was a Lie, it can't be done as per Ford in Dearborn (email). I know the F 550 would be a Great Truck but I hate being lied to. The cost of the F 550 was a whopping $ 92,500 with All the Bells and it looks Great.
That being said I shelved the whole thing for now.

Wayne
Old 05-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
As rusty pointed out there are different customers. hence the different ratings. Drivers of the commericial trucks sometime are just hired drivers and thus the need for more reliability/longjevity Vs power.
If they did change the turbo it was probibly to get it to spool up quicker not to limmit the HP and TQ. that is very easly done on the new ones with a computer chip.
395 HP is very possible (no matter what Ford tells you)with just a computer reprogram, HOWEVER it would very likely shorten the life of the smaller turbo and void the warrenty on the engine.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:49 AM   #6

Get a used Freightliner sport chassis, it will be twice the truck the F550 is in capacity, and you could find a used one for 60k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi154 View Post
Dave ...I tought the same thing so I posted the question on a Ford owners web fourm. The Chassis trucks have a differant Turbo so less Hp and Torque.
I was looking to have an F 550 built with all the bells, including air ride. The problem was the custom builder said they reprogram to 395 Hp. That was a Lie, it can't be done as per Ford in Dearborn (email). I know the F 550 would be a Great Truck but I hate being lied to. The cost of the F 550 was a whopping $ 92,500 with All the Bells and it looks Great.
That being said I shelved the whole thing for now.

Wayne
aspeyrer is offline   Reply With Quote