RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:04 AM   #15

Mike, on this CCV, I found this u-tube video... will running this hose underneath and back of engine provide better service.

Some also say the hose will exhuast smoke...in fact you can see it in the video,

HEMI

Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2008, 05:07 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
HEMI,

If you plan to do the CCV mod, go to an International dealer and pick up the beveled "O" gasket kit for the CCV module. Invariably when you remove it to turn it around, the OE gasket between the module and the valve cover expands to the point it is no longer useable. When I did mine, I had no other wheels so I dug into my plumbing junk box and found a larger faucet "O" ring that was the right size to use as a temporary measure. I since picked up the IH seals which are still in my tool box. The Delta faucet seal is still going strong after more than six or seven years. I looped the flex hose up and over the brake master cylinder to help the venting mist collect any oil and allow it to run back into the engine. The flex hose then runs down to the frame rail into a length of 3/4" pvc which runs to just in front of the rear axle. If you do this, make sure everything is angled downward to prevent any pooling of oil and blockage. That would result in excessive back pressure building up in the engine. Yes, you most likely will see fumes coming out the tube but not as bad as what is shown in the youtube video, unless you do have an excessive blowby problem. FWIW, the larger trucks and school buses of the same vintage used a "road draft tube" for the engine gasses and vented directly to the atmosphere, the same as the CCV mod will do.

You will need to plug the hole in the plastic connector or replace it at this time. Some use a 3 1/2" pvc connector or a short length of 4" exhaust pipe. The exhaust pipe gives you a bit more internal diameter for air flow. This would be a good time to also replace your stock air cleaner and do a DIY TYMAR air intake. No more air box, no more crud being sucked up through the fender well intake.

US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This would be a good time to also replace your stock air cleaner and do a DIY TYMAR air intake. No more air box, no more crud being sucked up through the fender well intake. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I don't like the stock air intake...seems small and also crud from under the fender might enter air intake box.

Did a search for "DIY TYMAR air intake", could not come up with a vendor...also the one called AIS seems to be preferred...is this the same as the DIY TYMAR air intake you recommended...again, what vendor for the 99 psd 7.3.

Thanks, HEMI
I did a search for
Old 11-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
The AIS air intake system is the cream of the crop and you do pay a bit for it. You can make a suitable substitute Tymar intake system for under $50.00. All you need is the filter which you can get on line or from a truck parts place. Filters: Baldwin PA 2818, Fleetguard AH 1141, NAPA 6637 or Donaldson B 085011. All use the same filter media and they will flow all the air you need for your present uses. You'll also need two short pieces of 4" exhaust pipe, four to six inches long. One to replace the plastic connector you remove when you do the CCV mod and one from the end of the rubber boot into the filter opening. Check www.airflo.com under filtration and search for Powerstroke intake system option #3 for a visual of what the Tymar intake looks like. On the early '99, you do not need that curved piece of pipe. I speak from experience. After forcing the pipe into the filter opening, I ran a bead of silicone sealant around the interface to insure no leakage, the plastic/hard rubber end on the filter was too stiff to compress with a clamp. I've been running that setup since 2002 and have had no problems.
US Gear UBS
Old 11-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #19

Fleetman, thanks; is this it?:

http://store.airflo.com/psi-03.html

And are you saying that any one of the following filters will work?

"Filters: Baldwin PA 2818, Fleetguard AH 1141, NAPA 6637 or Donaldson B 085011."

This looks like a pretty easy fix to the air intake issue; I can find the 4 inch tubing here somewhere.

As I told you earlier, I am still using the original (stock) system which does not look very good as an air intake system.

Thanks again for all your tips...they are invaluable.

HEMI
Old 11-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
HEMI,
Yes, that is the one. You really do not need the hold down bracket and as I said, on the early '99, straight pipe is all you need. I tried the 45 degree bend pipe and did not have space for it. Once you put the filter in place, you'll see that it won't be going anywhere.

Those four filters are identical in size and function and all use the same Duralite filter media. I wouldn't be surprised if they were all made by the same manufacturer and branded for the different customers. It is an easy mod. I cut the threads from a sheet metal screw on the fender so I could tuck the end of the filter under the fender lip right in front of the air intake hole. If you can't find the 4" tubing very easily, a 3 1/2" PVC connector will work - it is 4" OD. The ID is less than the exhaust tubing though and it probably would not flow as much air though.

Have fun! You'll really be able to hear the turbo whine with that intake.
US Gear UBS
Old 11-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #21

Great and many thanks; I will get the filter first locally (here in FL) and then make the pipe mode...I will report the performance in about 3-4 days, again, thanks, HEMI
Old 12-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #22

FleetMan,

I pick up the filter tomorrow morning--it had to be ordered.

After looking under the hood, it seems that the stock intake box will have to be removed; I will need to get some 4 inch pipe sections and large hose clamps.

There is a temperatue sensor or sendor (?) on lower side of the current intake box. I guess I just unplug it and wrap with tape? What is the function of the temp sensor on the intake box? Does it regulate something.

I may run with this modified system for a while to determine if truck performance improves.

In the long run I will probably get the AIS system:

http://www.usdieselparts.com/AIS_Severe_Duty.cfm

Do you think the intake of "cold" air brought through the AIS duct will provide any better engine performance that the unenclosed filter modification (tymar)?

Thanks HEMI
Old 12-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
HEMI,
That sensor is the air intake temp sensor, most people just zip tie it to the master cylinder or whatever is close by. I have towed with this setup in 100 plus degree temps in the south west and never noticed any power problems. The underhood air temps do not have a noticeable impact on things. Theoretically, I suppose one can make a case for a cold air intake though.

Your current hose clamps should suffice but pick some up if you feel the need.

Yes, you'll need to completely remove the stock air intake box.
US Gear UBS
Old 12-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #24

Fleetman,

I am going to purchase this one:

http://www.usdieselparts.com/AIS_Severe_Duty.cfm

I had a look at the Nappa filter,

http://store.airflo.com/psi-03.html

it is huge....

So, I will remove all my current air intake system and replace with the AIS, many thanks, HEMI
Old 12-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #25

Fleetman and others

I took out the truck for a good run up70-80 mpg....everything sounded good and powerful (but not towing and without the truck camper)....I could hear the turbo whine.

One thing I noticed is that I still had it in overdrive...and thus during that trip to Atl on the inclines where I experienced loss of power I was towing in overdrive; however the truck should have automatically downshifted. My oversight; I should have known to kick off the overdrive when hauling the camper/towing Saturn vue.

I also had a friend drive the truck...he has dodge dualies with cummins...he said the truck sounded good and had power.

I will still make the air intake modification and also the CCV modification and have the local ford do a full diagnostic check.

Will let you know, thanks

HEMI