Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
AE for your Powerstroke

Anyone using AE Scan Tool for your Powerstroke?

I see it's 'Windows-based'. Anyone using it on a Linux OS?

Thanks,

Rich
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #2

Only feedback I have for it is other feedback, but everyone loves it. It is amazing.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Only feedback I have for it is other feedback, but everyone loves it. It is amazing.
Yes. I agree. I've been hearing about AE for the past 2 years. I, finally, purchased it from Riff Raff. Once I received the box. It says 'for Windows-based computers'. I called and Clay said it won't work on Linux OS.

I will buy another computer if I have to, but, just checking if anyone in here already runs it.

I've got the same question out in Truck Forum I frequent.

Thanks for responding Jesilvas,

Rich
Old 06-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #4

I'm sure there's a way to run it on Linux. I'm not into all that too much, and only understand it a little bit. My room mate in college was more, and I know for a fact he ran Ubuntu.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #5

Hard to believe anyone dealing with Linux won't have a computer of some kind that's Window based.

I just wish I had the basic technical knowledge to use an Auto Enginuity scanner on a PowerStroke diesel. Modern diesel electronic parts are simply too expensive to purchase without 100% correct problem diagnosis'.

But I really wish I had the CAN/BUS knowledge to diagnose electrical problems on my Jaguar XK convertible--a different animal. Electronic modules (and there are 17 on mine) average $1K each.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #6

I bet you could learn AE easily. AND it can work on your Jag too with the right package.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:41 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Hard to believe anyone dealing with Linux won't have a computer of some kind that's Window based.
Maybe your a wiz at tapping keys Slick, but, computers are not my forte. Power line construction is.

I know just enough to get by on these 'puters.

This laptop was a gift from my wife and it has served it's purpose, up until I bought this Scan Tool.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #8

Scanguage for my 6.4 but I'm 100% stock and use to monitor different parameters
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ScanGauge 2.

Nice product. I may add one in lieu of some gauges for monitoring.

I purchased AE for troubleshooting my truck.

Thanks for the response, tucsonrv.

Rich
Old 06-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #10

I have found the the tach, boost truck gauge are spot on com paired to scanguage. The water temp and oil temp not. I did not figure out how to use the mpg mod, way to complicated and frankly don't care - I drive 60 mph all the time. I can tell you that when the water temp hits 225 exactly the fan locks in also your oil temp will run 5 to 7 degrees higher under normal pulling hit the hill and it will be 15 degrees. Also, during degen both will rise 15 degrees.
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #11

I'm having a cold start problem on a 7.3. Runs great otherwise. It's more a fuel pressure bleed down than a glow plug issue.

After one shop gave up, I took it to a local shop raved about as being one of those super diesel shops on the internet. They said it could be one of many issues, and as long as it runs good leave well enough alone. Finding the problem would be very expensive in time and parts.

The shop said the AutoEnginuity is okay, but it's not knee high to their factory Ford scanner system--really required for the later model diesel diagnosis.

I've looked at A/E on UTube. I just don't know enough about diesels to really know what info it's providing.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:50 AM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Bamaman, I put over 400,000 miles on a 1988 E350 7.3, the same thing started showing up, runs great, but sit over night, hard to start. Found the fuel was running back to tank, so starting was like empty fuel filter.
My solution was to install an inline electric fuel pump, would prime 1st thing in AM, all worked fine.
Sold that unit with 413,000 miles, thinking I got the best of it. Ran across the 3rd owner who loves it, it just keeps going & going over 500,000 miles. Always burnt a quart of oil every 5-600 miles.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power