Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn boyd View Post
from what ive read the newer "Variable vane turbos" need to be ran hard once in a while to keep americas crappy diesel fuel from gumming them up.
Cummins recommends using the integrated exhaust brake function even when not towing as this moves the turbo's variable nozzle ring to a full-closed position when decelerating. By moving the variable nozzle ring through its full range of travel (assuming some aggressive acceleration every now and then to get it to the wide open position ), soot buildup is prevented. A side benefit is extended life of the service brakes. Cummins' current ECM programming will initiate and maintain a DPF regeneration cycle even at idle, but allowing the DPF to regen more quickly under higher load/speed conditions is still preferable.

I don't know if the exhaust brake usage is an option with the new Powerstrokes and Duramaxes, but it's worth checking into.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
I BOUGHT A 2009 DODGE MEGA CAB CUMMINS 6.7 WITH 98,000.

It's in chaps cause Im happy!

No powerstroke here.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #17

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by adehaan86 View Post
I BOUGHT A 2009 DODGE MEGA CAB CUMMINS 6.7 WITH 98,000.

It's in chaps cause Im happy!

No powerstroke here.
You have my sympathy. But if the Dodge is such a great truck, why do many of their owners refer to them as "Cummins"?

That would be something like referring to my Ford F-250 crew cab as an "International".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
We don't do brand wars here on iRV2. Please take a look at our Community Rules.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539
You have my sympathy. But if the Dodge is such a great truck, why do many of their owners refer to them as "Cummins"?

That would be something like referring to my Ford F-250 crew cab as an "International".
Ummmm joke?
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote