Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Do You Expect To Change ??

The "NEW" PSD which is being made in-house by Ford is now going to give FoMoCo full control of the creative, parts, and assembly process which they didn't really have with Navistar. This is going to be an excellent strategy and solution for Ford. Whether or not FoMoCo can show that to their customers as a price reduction since they are not outsourcing the engine, I can't begin to guess. I do believe that line in the sand isn't going to visible due to price increase in implementing SCR and DEF technology.

In my research I found that in the 2010 MY and beyond, the new "Scorpion" PSD emission requirements call for the use of DEF or urea.

I'm just wondering if folks buying PSD in 2010 will see this as a good thing? PSD owners are going to share this technology with new GM and Dodge owners which are also going to use DEF as well.

The DEF Industry alone expects revenues to be approximately 2.1 Billion dollars within 10 years ..... aside from the price of diesel which in states like Connecticut for example already is taxed at a higher rate because of use my commercial vehicles, can you expect to be paying significantly more for fuel. Having to use DEF, "or else", does that give you a vague feeling of entrapment?

In 1997 I had a different screen name at the time, "Fiver", and Yes I was the proud owner of 7.3L PSD and it was a bit noisy but it was a great motor. On my truck, I installed a Banks Trans Command and a Statge 1 Power Pack. I loved the A pilliar gauge pack.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Yes I was the proud owner of 7.3L PSD and it was a bit noisy but it was a great motor.
The 7.3's were great engines, I had three Fords with that engine until I switched to a GM Duramax.

I don't think I'd buy one of their "Scorpion" PSD's, Ford has had too many issues with their engines since the 6.0 came out in early 2003 for me to gamble over $50K on them. I'll stand by on the side lines and see what happens to others who plunk down their money on a new Ford.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #3

DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) is urea (~37% IIRC) in water. One of the most available chemical compounds in the world, with a highly competitive landscape of producers. Gunna be tough for sellers to hold any part of the trucking (or motorhome) market hostage with high prices. There will more likely be a short period where Cummins dominates, as they have placed a high priority in getting their "brand" out front for the trucking industry. However, truckers are not idiots when it comes to pricing for needed supplies, so that probably won't last in any price advantaged way. Simplot for example, is a huge supplier of urea to agriculture (suppose farmers buy any diesel?) and will almost certainly enter the market along w/others if the commodity price looks good.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Gunna be tough for sellers to hold any part of the trucking (or motorhome) market hostage with high prices.
The infrastructure to support DEF is going to spiral out of control. Just look at all the service stations that provide diesel at the moment, "thousands." I expect that they are all gearing up to begin integrating urea in their product line. The folks that sell the equipment are already planning for their retirement years.

We have an E-85 station here in Conway, quite possibly the only one. Last week when I went there for fuel E-85 was priced .10 cents more than 87 - w/10% Eth. This stuff was allegedly the holy grail of fuels.

Ethanol is agriculturally obtainable (renewable) and there are a go-zillion acres of corn. Mark my words once you've spent your $thousands$ of dollars for your new diesel engine, a couple more bucks isn't going to hurt at all. I expect that a great many consumers and fleet owners are not going to appreciate having to be saddled with a urea monkey on their back.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #5

You don't really have to buy any fluids for it. Just urinate in the reservoir. Thats all the urea is anyhow.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Wow... All those years, joking about farting in the gas tank to make it home and now it seems we will actually have to [moderator edit] in the tank to get home.. who would have ever thought
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote