RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:33 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to scottsandy
DPF regen issues on 6.7 ford

Anyone concerned about the life span on there DPF in a FORD 6.7?
I am getteng " cleaning exhuast filter" reading about every 20 miles in my 2011 6.7 superduty. Dealer said just to drive it and it will clean itself up, this was a 100 miles ago still comes up, every 20 mile or so. Doing a little internet research and I find out that FORD has these DPF (diesel particulate filter) life span of 100,000 miles, though I am halfway there I am already having trouble. The replacement cost is 2600 at the dealer. Thinking about doing a DPF delete mod (half the cost ). My truck is now out of warrenty (5 years or 100,000 miles) ,
anybody out there in rv land been thinking about this??
thanks for all your input
Scott

scottsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #2

hi suggest you ck out POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners & Mechanics

tcwventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:27 AM   #3

Hi and Thanks for the suggestion. I did check out there site and cant find anything on the 6.7 motor. and it is very expensive to subscribe to the video series. but thanks anyway
Old 07-20-2015, 10:03 AM   #4

Try thedieselstop.com
Old 07-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #5

I have a 2011 as well - have had it for about 2 months. The advice I got was you have to run her hard for 20 minutes every so often. Cleaning the filter requires full operating temperature, which I don't get every day using this as my daily driver.

After towing the TT or running an errand that takes me onto the highway for 15 minutes, I get the cleaning filter message MUCH less often as compared to weeks where I am in town all week.

I'm no expert and may not have the facts straight, but if you're just driving short, in-town trips, it may be worth a try to let her run once a week (plus it is fun pushing the pedal down and feeling that torque!).
Brian
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #6

Scott, when my 6.4 powerstroke had similar symptoms, as well as running rough; I found the EGR valve was sticking. some guys take it out and clean it, I just got a new one and replaced it and my issues went away.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:34 AM   #7

I have a appointment at the dealer to see whats up. I did run it the other day apx 100 miles running mostly 55 mph still get the message. this all started this last winter. we hardly drove it. usually pull a 5th whl down to florida but decided to stay home this winter, BIG mistake! anyway I will check out the EGR valve ( or sensor?) maybe thats it. I hesitate to drive it with the rig on. I have heard if it gets real bad the truck will just go into limp mode and shut down, stranding us . that would be bad. I was also running it with the cheapest fuel I could get might be part of the problem.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:42 AM   #8

You should stop by the Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum (FTE) and post your question there..
We have a number of trained mechanics there as well as a large community of very knowledgable enthusiasts.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/

There is a recall to reflash the PCM of 2011-2014 6.7 trucks which has apparently stemmed the tide of EGT Sensor failure "Pull over safely now" messages on the dash.

Going into regen every 100 miles is not unheard of - but not necessarily the norm. Mine does it about every 150 miles when not towing. When towing, I have not yet seen it go into regen as the truck is building enough heat on its own to keep the DPF cleaned up.

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #9

My 6.4 goes about 175 miles before regen and I do not shut off the truck until finished. Running down the road it take 14 miles for a cycle. I monitor the temps using a Scanguage.
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:47 AM   #10

Ok... just got it back from the dealor. they ran a manual regen and the DPF was 67% restricted. had to run manual regen 2x to clean it up. they also did the updated software to correct the regen issues. milage back up to 19 mph
on another note anyone have any luck with protecting the exhuast system from rust?? I know the high temp (1300deg) precludes stuff like fluid film (which I use on the body and frame)
thanks for all your support.
I definitely will do a delete when this DPF goes bad (100,000 miles apx confirmed by dealer)
scott
Old 07-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsandy View Post
Ok... just got it back from the dealor. they ran a manual regen and the DPF was 67% restricted. had to run manual regen 2x to clean it up. they also did the updated software to correct the regen issues. milage back up to 19 mph

on another note anyone have any luck with protecting the exhuast system from rust?? I know the high temp (1300deg) precludes stuff like fluid film (which I use on the body and frame)

I definitely will do a delete when this DPF goes bad (100,000 miles apx confirmed by dealer)

scott

Glad to hear you're all good now!!!!
RE: Rust / exhaust
The exhaust system on my 2015 Ford is all stainless with the exception of the welds which appear to be just mild steel wire and are rusting. Should be able to just clean that up and hit it with silver or black barbecue paint I would think...
I also use Fluid Film on my trucks. It did, however, backfire on me.. I Fluid Filmed the truck last fall and now I want to install my AirLift airbag system.. Sure was slimy down there... I ended up spraying everything down with Gunk and hit it with my pressure washer to remove the FF so I could work on it...

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Old 07-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsandy View Post
scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Glad to hear you're all good now!!!!
RE: Rust / exhaust
The exhaust system on my 2015 Ford is all stainless with the exception of the welds which appear to be just mild steel wire and are rusting. Should be able to just clean that up and hit it with silver or black barbecue paint I would think...
I also use Fluid Film on my trucks. It did, however, backfire on me.. I Fluid Filmed the truck last fall and now I want to install my AirLift airbag system.. Sure was slimy down there... I ended up spraying everything down with Gunk and hit it with my pressure washer to remove the FF so I could work on it...

Regards - Randy & Dar
Randy - which Airlift model are you getting? On board compressor?

Scott - did I read correctly - 19 mpg??? What kind of driving do you do (town, hwy, mix)?
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #13

DPF regen issues on 6.7 ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
Randy - which Airlift model are you getting? On board compressor?

Scott - did I read correctly - 19 mpg??? What kind of driving do you do (town, hwy, mix)?

I bought the AirLift Ultimate 5000 system with wireless onboard air.. Spent the whole afternoon and part of the evening just installing the bags... What a pain...

https://www.airliftcompany.com/produ...5000-ultimate/

Regards - Randy & Dar
Old 08-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
A lot has to do with idle time. If you let the truck sit and idle a lot it will plug up the EGR cooler and can do the same to the DPF. Diesel engines need to get a workout or they will start having problems. I'd suggest trading it in. I traded my 2011 F250 6.7l in back in February and got a great deal on a new 2015 F350 6.7l. The new truck has the new bigger turbo, new injectors and best of all the exhaust brake. I had to travel to get the truck. The only ones I found were in Ohio and Texas.
The 2011 and 2012 6.7l used ceramic bearings in the turbo and are known to fail. I never had a problem with mine but I didn't want to wait for it either. I'm happy I got the 2015.

Mookie

mookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford