Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Edge Evolution CS Programmer

Good morning,

I am looking for owner experiences using the Edge Evolution CS Programmer for your diesel engine. I have a 2013 Ford F250 with a 6.7 which doesn't produce the MPG (both towing and general driving,) that I think it should. I am planning to take it to a Ford dealer to replace an EGT sensor that is out, and to get them to check the engine in general. Based on what I have read and seen while following other 6.7's down the road, I am unsure if the engine has ever done a regen. I've never seen the cloud of black smoke that I've seen from other 6.7's. The last dealer I took it to said, "it all looked clean down there."

Any experiences you've had with the Evolution CS Programmer, or any other alternatives that won't break the bank, would be greatly appreciated.

Tim
'12 Keystone Avalanche, '16 RAM 2500
Tim L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
If you want take advise from a service manager in a Ford dealership. 6.7L Fords don't smoke unless they've had the DPF removed. The DPF traps the carbon that is produced by diesel combustion. The Ford dealership that you are taking it to can tell when the last cleaning cycle took place. They can also tell you if you have the ability to force a manual regen (cleaning). If that ability is not present on yours they can update it to enable that feature. BTW, you won't be able to force a cleaning cycle unless the DPF is somewhere around 70% dirty, even manually. It likely has been cleaning and you weren't aware it was. Because the message doesn't stay present for very long. However like I said earlier the Ford diagnostic system (IDS) can retreive when the last cleaning took place. My advise is to not add a programmer. It causes more problems than it corrects. Also can cancel any warranty that might still be on the vehicle.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:37 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
My son has a '13 6.7 and has the H&S Mini-max tuner. He also took off the factory exhaust pipe that looked like an ICBM missile and replaced that with one that now allows him to skip any need for DEF.

He put a lot of research into it but now the 6.7 runs great and sounds more like the truck that it is!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
My son has a '13 6.7 and has the H&S Mini-max tuner. He also took off the factory exhaust pipe that looked like an ICBM missile and replaced that with one that now allows him to skip any need for DEF.

He put a lot of research into it but now the 6.7 runs great and sounds more like the truck that it is!
Hi RVThere,
Your son removed the Diesel Particulate Filter (ICBM as you called it) and replaced it with a straight exhaust pipe. The H&S MiniMax Tuner was installed & setup to "trick" the Ford ECM into thinking the DPF was still there. This is commonly referred to as a "DPF Delete". The DPF systems were mandated by Federal Law to reduce emissions and thus produce cleaner exhaust gas. All newer diesel powered vehicles and equipment like 18 wheelers, MH's, PU Trucks, etc. must have the DPF system on them. IF your son would have to perform an exhaust emissions test his truck would fail. IF certain authorities in certain states discover this DPF Delete they will not be happy campers and could/would cause an enormous amount of pain in the wallet. In fact, the Fed made H&S rebrand the Minimax to warn folks about it being for "Racing Only".
With that said, I myself was tempted to do the DPF Delete and add the H&S Minimax tuner just to see how the truck would perform, but I pull around 14k+ with it and set cruise on 70mph and sometimes a little higher and she pulls it with ease, even in Colorado. So, I decided not to spend all that money & effort to occasionally select the "race mode" to use the 600 hp x 1200 ft-lb torque capability for just short bursts and/or bragging rights. However, IF he is racing the truck at a track then it is legal to do the DPF Delete and run the H&S MiniMax, it's just not legal to run with the DPF deleted on the highways & byways in the USA.
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L. View Post
Good morning,

I am looking for owner experiences using the Edge Evolution CS Programmer for your diesel engine. I have a 2013 Ford F250 with a 6.7 which doesn't produce the MPG (both towing and general driving,) that I think it should. I am planning to take it to a Ford dealer to replace an EGT sensor that is out, and to get them to check the engine in general. Based on what I have read and seen while following other 6.7's down the road, I am unsure if the engine has ever done a regen. I've never seen the cloud of black smoke that I've seen from other 6.7's. The last dealer I took it to said, "it all looked clean down there."

Any experiences you've had with the Evolution CS Programmer, or any other alternatives that won't break the bank, would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

As a Reference, your truck and 5er is similar to mine, my 2014 F350 CC 4x4 Long Bed pulling my 2012 Cardinal 3675RT recently averaged 9.6mpg going from Bellville to New Braunfels and back. I was locked on 70mph and occasionally sped up to get around someone in the right lane, so I could get back into the right lane and let the others go. When going to Colorado it averaged 9.2mpg round trip. This is due to dropping it out of 6th gear when in CO, but I used 6th gear all other times. Do you run with in the Tow/Haul Mode when pulling your 5er? The transmission will run cooler if you do run in Tow/Haul Mode, but it keeps the tranny in the lower gears longer before up shifting, so it would use more fuel doing that. I monitor my transmission temp. and use the Tow/Haul Mode IF I see the temp. climbing. You can turn it on and watch the tranny temp. come down some. It does this by "locking" up the torque converter, which then doesn't create as much heat.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:29 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
(CMelder, Thanks very much for your reply. I have answered your questions using ( ). As info two tanks ago my mileage dropped down to 8.6 mpg in day to day driving. Pulling the 5er we got 7.6 to 7.9 staying around 62 to 65 MPH. The tank I'm on now I'm up around 12.8 after starting (first 100 miles or so into the tank) at 13.6, all city driving. Just bizarre in my opinion.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMelder View Post
Hi Tim L.
Question: Do you need to keep adding DEF? If so, it is doing the regen. If you don't have to add DEF then there may be a problem. (Yes I am adding DEF when the notice comes up on the dash.)
Read my reply to RVThere in this thread if you get a chance, you live in Harris County so do you have to get the emissions test done when getting it inspected? (No, none required in Harris County.)

As a Reference, your truck and 5er is similar to mine, my 2014 F350 CC 4x4 Long Bed pulling my 2012 Cardinal 3675RT recently averaged 9.6mpg going from Bellville to New Braunfels and back. I was locked on 70mph and occasionally sped up to get around someone in the right lane, so I could get back into the right lane and let the others go. When going to Colorado it averaged 9.2mpg round trip. This is due to dropping it out of 6th gear when in CO, but I used 6th gear all other times. Do you run with in the Tow/Haul Mode when pulling your 5er? (No, I keep the transmillion in the every day mode.) The transmission will run cooler if you do run in Tow/Haul Mode, but it keeps the tranny in the lower gears longer before up shifting, so it would use more fuel doing that. I monitor my transmission temp. and use the Tow/Haul Mode IF I see the temp. climbing. You can turn it on and watch the tranny temp. come down some. It does this by "locking" up the torque converter, which then doesn't create as much heat.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #7

Hi Tim L,
It's been a while since you last posted. Any updates regarding your truck performance? Not sure when you service your air filter, but I do the air filter & fuel filter(s) every 15,000 miles. Engine Oil & Oil Filter is changed every 5,000 miles using the Motorcraft Oil and Motorcraft filters. I did try a K&N Air Filter, but I did not see any difference except cost more money.
On another note, what gear ratio is your rear differential? Mine is 3.55's
Old 08-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #8

Tuners and CA just don't get along. Plus, with my 6.0, it's just better to run stock unless you bulletproof it.
I do however, monitor my engine and tranny with a Dashboss.
Here's the screen I'm usually using when towing.

This screen shot was taken at the top of the grade headed north on 99 before Santa Maria. My eot/ect delta generally runs about 10-12 degrees while towing and 6-8 empty, but you can see how it jumps up to 20 degrees when cresting a pretty good 6 1/2 % grade.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	172202
R2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Hello all and thanks to everyone for your feedback.
So, I had the tire module on the F250 computer re programed for the 20 inch wheels I had put on some time ago. Still running the first tank of diesel through it since the update.
I went ahead and bought Evolution and when runnlng in the Economy program my milage did improve some (+/- 3 MPG mostly city driving.) I haven't pulled the fifth wheel using the Tow program so I can't comment on that. I'll do an update once I've burned a couple of tanks while post tire module update.

Safe travels.
Tim.