Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 AM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
96 Ford F-250 102k miles

I recently had the engine shut off during idle and a light flashed saying 'fuel filter'. It restarted and I drove it for sometime and it again happened.
Went to a nearby auto parts shop and bought a new filter. Unscrewed the cap and when I lifted it off the filter came out with it, attached to the cap by 4 or 5 small 'fingers' that slip into the round hole at the top of the filter. The new filter is shorter than the old one and does not have the hole in the top. It slides down over the pipe in the middle of the filter housing.
I tried several times to get the lid to screw back down, but these 'finger' devices will not let the cap go all the way down.
I ended up washing the old filter in fuel and tapping it against a firm surface to try and dislodge anything that might be stopping it up. Put it back in the truck.
Truck cranked up and ran fine all afternoon.
Now I am out the 25+ bucks for the new filter. Trying to figure out if I failed to do something to make it fit right (turn to a particular position etc) or didn't push hard enough or did I get the wrong filter. I really hate to think they gave me the wrong filter because I buy parts from these guys a lot and they are pretty competent and very helpful.
What's wrong?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #2

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi Doc:

I'm not sure what's going on with your truck and filter. Sounds like you might have the wrong fuel filter. I've always used a Purolator F55055 in my 96 PSD ever since I bought it.

The Purolator F55055 that I buy comes as an all-in-one lid, gasket and filter. The top of the filter lid has a 1/2" female square drive that allows you to use a ratchet to remove and snug down the lid. Just be careful not to overtighten the lid (it's easy to do using a ratchet) and be sure to lubricate the gasket with clean diesel fuel before installing.

One thing I normally do before I change the fuel filter is drain the water from the bowl. By doing this, it lowers the level of diesel fuel in the bowl and makes the job of changing the fuel filter a little less messy.

I don't know if any of this will help in resolving your problem but this is what I have used over the years and it works for me.

Good luck!
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Thanks Frank,
right now I believe I may have the wrong filter as well. I have been tied up the last couple of days. The engine in the Camry died and had to get the truck from under the shelter to drive. Getting the MH cleaned up for trade and that is taking some major time as well. I think I am going to the Ford dealer and get the Ford part(s) this time.
Sorta cranked at my parts store though....bout $25 worth.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote