RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

Hot/burning plastic smell from under hood passenger side '06 6.0

Hi

Yesterday afternoon when coming back from a short trip, we noticed a hot/burning plastic smell coming from under the hood. Seemed to be predominately on passenger side. We both noticed it in the cab, and DW noticed it more when she was standing/walking closer to it. I could really smell it when I walked in front of it, but moving along passenger side, it really faded away.

This morning, I opened the hood, and smelled away at the compartment. Could get a whiff of it between the battery and the heater fan.

Anyone ever have this problem before? Have searched the forum, but nothing came up.

TIA

Bruce

BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #2

I would look very closely at all wire harnesses under there. Could be anything, but something is getting in trouble. The wire loom cover will only protect it so long. Keep us posted.

Crazeee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:17 PM   #3

Surfcamp

Check to make sure there are no coolent leakes. Also make sure coolant reservoir is filled to spec. Do you still have the the egr valve ? The burning smell could be derived from one of those areas
Surfcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:22 PM   #4

Got to post an update on this problem that I had.

We went on an extensive trip in Jan, Feb, and most of this month. From MI to TN, to LA, to AR, OK, TX, NM, AZ and back through NM, OK, AR TN, KY, IN and back to MI.

Never had the problem again. Long days driving, but never to smell. I don't know what it was, or if it would come back again, but I am keeping my nose to the engine compartment, so to speak.

Thanks to all who replied!

Bruce
Old 05-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #5

We had the same issue while pulling our 5er across AZ. We were told it was the battery, replaced both batteries and no more issues after that.
ArmyRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #6

UPDATE:

I had to get new tires on truck earlier this month, as a belt must have slipped in tire/tires creating a definate shaking of the truck.

In the course of this, I have had to go back and get tires rebalanced again, then they would not do the rebalancing a 3rd time as they felt that the rotors were warped. Those were replaced.

I had to do some running around with DW while her ride was in dealership. Then after they were done, I dropped her off at dealership. We had driven about 100 miles with no problem before heading home.

Then on way home, the truck started shaking again and pulling both left and right. Went immediately to tire place and had them to look at rebalancing yet again. They got the wheels off and called me into the garage. They had me to feel the left from brakes, then would not let me feel the right front brakes. They were smoking Hot!! They were what was smoking and the plastic smell that I have been smelling.

Long story shortened a bit, boot was torn on right front, and both front calipers were replaced. Still pulls to right to me, so going to have both the rears checked out, and most likely replaced as well.

So if you have this problem, Please get the brakes checked out as the calipers may be sticking and not releasing.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandSA View Post
UPDATE:

I had to get new tires on truck earlier this month, as a belt must have slipped in tire/tires creating a definate shaking of the truck.

In the course of this, I have had to go back and get tires rebalanced again, then they would not do the rebalancing a 3rd time as they felt that the rotors were warped. Those were replaced.

I had to do some running around with DW while her ride was in dealership. Then after they were done, I dropped her off at dealership. We had driven about 100 miles with no problem before heading home.

Then on way home, the truck started shaking again and pulling both left and right. Went immediately to tire place and had them to look at rebalancing yet again. They got the wheels off and called me into the garage. They had me to feel the left from brakes, then would not let me feel the right front brakes. They were smoking Hot!! They were what was smoking and the plastic smell that I have been smelling.

Long story shortened a bit, boot was torn on right front, and both front calipers were replaced. Still pulls to right to me, so going to have both the rears checked out, and most likely replaced as well.

So if you have this problem, Please get the brakes checked out as the calipers may be sticking and not releasing.
Last year the same thing happened to me. My 06 F350 4x4 CC 6.0 only has 38k on it and I loaded it up to go to the dump about 2 mi away, unloaded it and came home. After I turned it off I could smell something like a clutch slipping but it is an auto. When I got out I could tell I had a caliper sticking on the left rear, got my heat gun and just the rim was close to 500deg. Replace the caliper installed new pads and the old ones looked new but had brake fluid on them.
Then I got out my brake pump and got 1/2 gallon of brake fluid and flushed the system.
2 stroker

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell