Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #1

Hydrogen Injection

I hope everyone takes a really good look at the article in RV.net showing h2purepower and the reported benefits of the system.

I would really like to hear from you and your ideas and input on the subject.
andyaltes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2011, 05:35 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Until I see genuine testing by an independent source using proper testing procedures I say buyer beware. I never trust "testimonials" and note there is no way to check or contact any of the people making the testimonials, and this would be easily verifiable using standard equipment.
I did a Google search using Hercules Hydrogen System and every single hit on the first forty hits started with "The company manufactures the Hercules Hydrogen System, which is about the size of a car battery and can be installed under the hood" so they are writing the material or there is a whole lot of uncritical plagiarism.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
andyaltes - Please supply the link to the RV.net article/thread.

While these hydrogen injection thingys sound good but you either are set up to burn gasoline or hydrogen gas. No sure you can combine the two.
Typically, these "hydrogen injection" schemes are just water injection which is another thing altogether - not true hydrogen combustion.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:23 AM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
These are an electrolysis generator using the alternators power to break down water into hydrogen and oxygen. They are mixing the H2 gas with diesel or gas in the intake.
This is not new but I have yet to see reliable test reports.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:33 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If it was really great, don't you think Ford, GM and others would be using it on their vehicles. Think of the advertising an extra 10% fuel mileage would help sell cars.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:17 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
It reminds me of the water injectors in the late 70's. It was supposed to "increase gas mileage". The only thing it did was make people money. Did not do a thing. If these systems can do what they claim why are not cities using it for all their fleets of vechiles that use diesel, think of the momey they would save.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
VegasDan removed a disconnected one from his coach right after he bought it.

Disconnected.....Removed.... "There's your Sign"

Dick
Old 05-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
As a much younger engineer, I first saw an article from England that reported the identical system and they did have some test information. In their system they used aluminum and along with electricity from the alternator a reaction occurred with water producing H2 and aluminum oxide which will precipitant out from the water and fall to the bottom. The H2 was entered directly into the carburetor and produced enough power to move the automobile. I kept that article for years in my various work desks with the thought that some day I would follow up on the idea.

As I became more astute in practical science, I finally realized that from an energy stand point the system was flawed. It turns out that when one considers the energy to product the aluminum consumed in the process, the cost of the process would be several times that of comparable system using petroleum products. Also any real system would be quite large with the various elements that would be necessary. Therefore, you all can past on to something more practical in your discussions.

There are however more practical systems where propane can directly ejected into the engine to reduce diesel fuel consumption that would work. And since we all have propane tanks in our RVs, this would appear to possibly have some value. However, we are still using petroleum products. So I am enjoying what I have and will probably never see that become practical in my life time.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
If it was really great, don't you think Ford, GM and others would be using it on their vehicles. Think of the advertising an extra 10% fuel mileage would help sell cars.
Mr. Wizard nails it again.

or "I second your post" whichever you prefer.

The government is all over the auto companies to have them milk more millage per gallon out of their cars and trucks.

If it was this easy.. I'm sure Detroit would be doing it.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
From what I have read, it takes way more power to generate the electric current that is used to separate the hydrogen from the water, than will ever be realized by adding the hydrogen to the engine to produce the additional power. ----- Now I ask you, is the foregoing statement a sentence or what?

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
A few years ago, in a fit of stupidity, I bought a unit in hopes of reducing MPG on my gas coach. I didn't do anything with for a long enough time so I couldn't return it. I finally came to my senses and realized that you cannot manufacture energy from nothing.

I still have it sitting in my garage. It's never been installed. If anyone's interested, make me an offer!