Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2017, 10:42 AM   #1

Is it Possible to get more gears in transmission?

Hi All,

Have the truck listed in my signature. After our trip, seeing how it seemed to bog down on hills, and when using the tow/haul, braking and having RPM's go near 4K, I'm wondering: Can we get a Allison transmission with at least 6 gears in it for our older trucks, and would it be worth it to do this?

I'm not very well schooled in this and am asking here.

TIA

Bruce
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #2

What truck?
Your asking about a 6 speed Allison, so Im assuming you have an older Chevrolet 8.1L gas motor with a 5 speed Allison???? Changing transmissions now days is nothing like the old (pre computer) days. To do it would require not only a transmission, but the TCM, and possibly the ECM from the donor vehicle. Then it will take an expert with a LOT of knowledge and time to try and merry the new computers into the old wiring and get them to all actually talk to each other.
Much simpler would be a rear end gear swap.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #3

It would likely be easier to change the gearing in your differentials.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #4

It's the same truck as in my signature, '06 Ford F250, 6.0, LB, CC, 3.73 gears in the rearend. Oh, and 4 x 4 too.

When it was nearing 4K RPM, it was all downhill. Had stabbed the brake several times, and it kicked it down to 2nd gear I believe.

From what I am reading in the replies, it would be a very expensive and labor intensive effort. In short, a no go situation. until I upgrade.

I'm thinking of a MDT, but don't know what the DW really wants. I was talking to her while we were driving one day, and she finally said that we (I) have to be happy with what I've got. I'm not unhappy with what I've got, I don't trust it too good going downhill. Where the majority of the problems seemed to happen was in the Northern AR/lower MO going to Branson. Those hills kicked our butts!

It was in those hills that I think that our trailer brakes have seemed to have went South. This is the biggest reason that I am asking about getting more gears in the truck.
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #5

Gear Vendors Overdrive units Gear Vendors under/overdrive transmissions the most awarded auxiliary transmissions.

But really you should replace your burned out trailer brakes with disc brakes. Would you even consider buying a new car today that had drum brakes?
If you do the work yourself, the conversion on a tandem axle trailer will cost you about $1,200. It's the best money you can spend on you and your family's safety.

KODIAK Vented Trailer Disc Brakes at Trailer Parts Superstore

Electric / Hydraulic Trailer Brake Actuators at Trailer Parts Superstore

Let me know how it turns out!.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #6

What you want is an exhaust brake, there are several brands available. But a 6.0 Ford diesel is one that you need to put thousands in the engine to bullet-proof it or just not put another nickel in it. Google exhaust brake and bullet-proof 6.0 for more information.

You don't just tow a trailer with brakes that you think may be going south, you service the brakes and know the condition.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #7

You have a six speed transmission because of the overdrive, they call it a 5 speed, but if you look, there are six ratios. I don't think you really have a problem, the truck downshifted and held the speed. If you didn't want it to drop into second, you could either manually select 3rd or turn off tow-haul and ride the brakes.

http://www.trucktransdiag.com/downlo...nical-info.pdf
Old 04-27-2017, 05:24 AM   #8

Like they said, you have the 5R110 transmission which technically is a 6 speed, but really only uses 5. That's for a different post. What you describe the truck doing is what it was programmed to do, it downshifted to help slow you down.

There are a few companies that tune the 6.0 trucks that can program a "jake brake" into the turbo, which can help a little. It's not an actual exhaust brake, but rather it closes the vanes of the turbo when decelerating to help slow the truck down by creating back pressure. You could also have the shift tuning adjusted to your liking. I personally recommend Innovative Diesel, but I hear Gearhead Performance is very good as well.

If you're still having braking issues, like what was said above, you probably need to check your trailer brakes, or upgrade them.

As to the 6.0, it has its demons like nearly ever other diesel truck. Some are worse, or sound worse than others. If you keep up on maintaining them, and eventually fix the few issues they have, they are a very good truck engine. I'd suggest going over to the Powerstroke forums for more info in that regard.

I don't know if my signature shows it, but I too have an '06 F250 CCSB 6.0.
MagnaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:02 PM   #9

I towed a lot with 2 6.0s--engine problems aside, did not have braking problems as I worked hard to use the gears manually--tow/haul works to a point, but you still need to undertstand speed/downhill grade/never letting it get too fast. If you start down too fast,
in drive, then it can get touchy...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission