RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #1

Need more power from 6L V8 powerstroke

As a volunteer with a disaster relief organization I often tow a large trailer with their 2006 f350. It has the 6L V8 power stroke. Not sure about transmission. The goose neck is heavy, I'm guessing around 14,000lbs, but I am surprised that the truck strains so hard to get it moving. And constantly shifts up and down when in tow mode on relatively level highways. Is this normal for this engine? Can it be "turned" for more power?
I'm not a diesel owner so I have nothing to compare it to. I tow my camper with gas V8. Much lighter tho.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1457141351446.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	120500  

davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I think a 14,000 lb trailer needs more truck, not just a tuner.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...guideApr08.pdf

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #3

Just get used to the fact that you are pulling a heavy load with probably a 3.73 rear end. Yes, it is going to struggle if you are near that gross weight.
It can be tuned, but would make more sense to get the organization to upgrade to a 2011 or newer tow vehicle.
One thing that could be done is to add the gadget that will allow you to select 4th gear, since you have no way to get to it except forcing a downshift with the throttle. If you use the gear selector, it goes direct to 3rd, not 4th.

http://www.dieselperformance.com/ind...duct/index/394

This won't give you more power, but will keep it from hunting the right gear.

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:21 PM   #4

Thanks guys. A new truck is not an option right now. This one has less than 70,000 miles and no problems. I'm going to suggest we offload some of the weight into a second trailer that someone else can pull. I do appreciate the replies and links.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #5

That 6L engine was notorious for fuel system and turbo problems. It was less than a stellar engine when it first came out in 2003 and wasn't much better, if at all, in 2006. Don't use that engine as a benchmark for diesel performance. It's V-8 design made it's torque curve a bit lame compared to an inline 6 cylinder of similar displacement.

Dan
Old 03-05-2016, 07:02 PM   #6

Dan. I agree. Can't judge all by this one. A friend has a new GMC 2500 duramax that I rode in for 8 hours and didn't know was diesel. So quiet. And I saw a huge difference in its pulling ability. I know Ford and Dodge also have big improvements.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:48 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
If your determined to hang on to that 6 litre...consider investing in a EGR delete and replacing the oil cooler, as it tends to get clogged up.....have a look at some of the info on you tube regarding deletes and the 6 litre in general.....we had one and thanks goodness it was warranted.......2 turbos, inter-cooler, oil pump and few other things we replaced it with the new 6.7 litre and man was that an upgrade.....good luck with your truck.....consider installing a pyrometer in it to keep an eye on the temps.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Good on you for helping !

We had an Excursion with that 'BAD' 6L deezle - never had an issue with it other than a bad batch of diesel that was about 20% water one time!
caused lots of issues... but vandalism insurance covered the repairs - flushing, new injectors, etc... once fixed pulled a BIG TT fine.

while it CAN be tuned (and mine was) tuning and towing heavy don't usually mix well and the 6L had head bolts that would stretch if too much more tuning was put into it...
here's a good research site for you
One thing is driving style, as you see a grade coming up, help the engine out a bit by accelerating up to the grade and backing off a bit so it 'coast' up the grade instead of waiting until after the grade to work up it...

I think you are going down the right path, maybe put the bulkier, but lighter items in that trailer and a few heavier in others... let them lead, and you can 'draft' as they push the wind out of the way

on edit,
is that a pic of it loaded down for travel?
it looks like it's riding nose up..
I would look into dropping the pin box down to get it to ride level !
You have more than enough bed clearance...
and would save the wear on those last set of tires
(they look like they would be carrying 50% of the weight and probably overloaded!)
Old 03-09-2016, 08:37 PM   #9

Yes. It does sit high in front. Has room to drop one more notch, about 2". I'll try to do that one day. It's stored an hour away from my home so have to plan things a little at a time. Thanks for the information and link.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:21 AM   #10

I had a tuned and deleted 6.0L that had more power than a 2015 F250 6.7L I was also driving and towing with. While I wouldn't modify a stock engine because you'd be pushing the limits of the head gasket there are modifications like tune, intake and exhaust that can give modest power gains. If you wanted to go further there are upgraded/hp injectors and turbos that can really push the engine further.

One of the big diesel magazines published power recipes awhile back that showed parts and their approx. power gain for the 6.0L that I used as a template for mines.

rowekmr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power